Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

6 hours ago, The Blur said:

Got this lined up for my first baby free evening since my boy was born a month ago this Tuesday.  Any good? 

I really enjoyed it! I'm not one to have flavoured drinks like this normally so was pleasantly surprised.

It was a good pairing and I'm definitely getting some more in.

Hope it goes down as well for you :beer:

• Thanks 1

On 05/06/2021 at 23:18, Kopic said:

I got some Harp Irish Lager the other day

Remember asking for a pint of this in Temple in Dublin. The bar staff looked at me as if I’d asked for the keys to the till and a barrel to be brought to the table. Think they were just amazed somebody wanted something other than Guinness. As you say completely inoffensive and forgettable but it does the job when you don’t fancy a three course meal in a glass straight after your brekkie at 10am. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Really noticing beer price has gone up in pubs.

Yep, equally with the good weather noticing it’s not as busy now either. Personally reckon from September to December, some pubs are sadly going to find it very difficult 

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Really noticing beer price has gone up in pubs.

Without doubt. Not noticing much below £5.50 in London, lots of £6+ pints. Food prices have gone up as well, and i've noticed the already offensive 12.5% 'service' charge has gone up to 15% in a lot of places.

Quite short sighted in my opinion, I am drinking and eating out like a maniac at the moment as I have truly hated the winter months locked down and working from home, and i want to erase this from my memory ASAP. But surely these places should be convincing me to stay loyal to hospitality long term, instead of milking me dry? After the next lockdown, i wouldn't be surprised if i exclusively become a beer52 drinker, and only go to the pubs once a month or so.

• Like 2

Not sure if its because I haven't been in a pub for so long but Saturday me and the wife went to Towcester to meet a couple of friends. First pub said £6.25 for a pint of Neck Oil and the wife had a mocktail as she was driving and that was £5.75 for basically a J2O in a posh glass! 

I understand that they need to make the money back they have lost and they may have to have more staff (which this pub probably didn't have as everything was on their app) on but we ended up spending about £75 in a few hours on a couple of burgers, a bowl of nachos and a couple of drinks.

I think the pub for us is now going to be a 'treat' rather than us going most weekends for something to eat and drink especially with the quality of beer you can now get in supermarkets. 

7 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Not sure if its because I haven't been in a pub for so long but Saturday me and the wife went to Towcester to meet a couple of friends. First pub said £6.25 for a pint of Neck Oil and the wife had a mocktail as she was driving and that was £5.75 for basically a J2O in a posh glass! 

I understand that they need to make the money back they have lost and they may have to have more staff (which this pub probably didn't have as everything was on their app) on but we ended up spending about £75 in a few hours on a couple of burgers, a bowl of nachos and a couple of drinks.

I think the pub for us is now going to be a 'treat' rather than us going most weekends for something to eat and drink especially with the quality of beer you can now get in supermarkets. 

Last point there is very true. Now you ate finding supermarkets sell beer which is as good as or in many cases better than what is sold in many pubs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Last point there is very true. Now you ate finding supermarkets sell beer which is as good as or in many cases better than what is sold in many pubs.

Hopefully I means that pubs have to up their game in providing highly rated beer instead of being lazy. 

Still shit though as in reality that isn’t easy.

Aldi are pushing their creative license again and are doing a knock off San Miguel now. I haven’t tried it yet but have one cooling in the fridge. Their fake Stella is very good and I’ve said it a thousand times but at a pound a bottle the Rheinbacher is very good too. 

21 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Brewdog the latest in the storm about craft beer breweries/bars being terrible employers 

Friend of a friend is on that list and I've heard a few things - great marketing, nasty company by his account.

I've never really liked the beers, but am on the fence that it seems so long for the backlash

Surprised to see a few Deya and plenty of other good stuff at my local bottle shop in Kent today, really good selection in there now. Probably didn't get enough to last beyond the weekend so may need an extra visit for Tuesday teatime :)

IMG_20210626_214005.jpg

Edited by Anorak
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anorak said:

Surprised to see a few Deya and plenty of other good stuff at my local bottle shop in Kent today, really good selection in there now. Probably didn't get enough to last beyond the weekend so may need an extra visit for Tuesday teatime :)

IMG_20210626_214005.jpg

Nice glass! Got the half pint version as that's all they had left by the time I rocked up.

After Leicester 0-0 Hull - the day we resigned ourselves before the Great Escape happened. Reckon @Soupwas there too?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Nice glass! Got the half pint version as that's all they had left by the time I rocked up.

After Leicester 0-0 Hull - the day we resigned ourselves before the Great Escape happened. Reckon @Soupwas there too?

Yes I think you're right. Got a taxi from the Swan I think? Or maybe that was another time. But top marks for your memory mate, as we'd all had a few that night

• Like 1