Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Define Potential

For me it's hand in hand with experience, is the way I see it. So a player will peak at 28-30 sort of age, so if you see Gray have one good game out of five for example, you expect once he'd gathered more experience that he has the potential to put in performances like that in three out of five in a few years if that make sense. It's literally a term that can be used for any player really and it basically is as well

I would use it for Gray and Chilwell when they do something positive and effective in a match and then follow it up with something stupid.

Both Chilwell and Gray have the raw ingredients to be good players: pace/athleticism and show ability in bursts, but also show their inexperience with decision making and positioning things that can be coached. Gray has the potential to be that player that destroyed Everton at home and score goals like against United on a regular basis. The reality is he will soon be wasted potential.

The problem at the moment is we are playing shite football and that leaves everyone exposed, it is hard to judge anyone positively at the moment. The sad thing for Gray is this was supposed to be his season, Mahrez should have left in the Summer with Gray becoming first choice and having a fair chance to fulfil his potential.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fox92 said:

People talk about potential with Maguire. He's 25.

And they're right.  He has only had one premier league season prior to this and he will get better.

With age comes experience, consistency and greater physical strength.   If you see a player with talent but still raw (Diabate), then that is potential as opposed to an established first teamer in his prime (Albrighton say) who has reached his ceiling.  If a player is not much better in his mid twenties than he was at nineteen then there is something wrong.

I think different positions have different ages to reach their prime.  Forwards can rely on instinct and often break through young, whereas a centre half or  goalkeeper needs experience and will generally reach their prime in their late twenties.  Amazing to think that Shilton played in the first team at 16.

Looking at  the potential in our squad, I would say that Chillwell, Amartey, Gray, Diabate, Iheanacho are all still learning the game and developing at this level and therefore have potential.  Of those Gray and Chillwell concern me the most.  I would have expected a bit more development from both this year and Deamarai ("this club has held me back") Gray may fail due to his big time attitude.

17 hours ago, shen said:

As long as the manager isn't a hindrance to the player's development, I don't necessarily agree that a manager is central.

It's the player first and foremost that is responsible, next are the environment (facilities, colleagues be it staff or players...) and training.

Sometimes the manager will have a larger role when it comes to personal handling of a player, but a lot of that is centered around match day.

True.  

Obviously coaching is part of a player's development but I think that continuing to step up to ever better opposition is where you learn your trade

20 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

In my line of work, I often ask the question to managers and leaders in business “What % of your potential are you currently delivering in your work?”

I’ve asked this question hundreds of times to groups and the average answer is ALWAYS about 65%. People are working flat out but carry a sense that they’ve got more to offer in terms of creativity, ideas and solutions.

In football we often see glimpses of what players are capable of and ask ourselves “why can’t they do this every game, week in and week out?”

Some players I would suggest have already reached the peak of their potential and will never get any ‘better’ (if anything they’re now declining) I’d include the likes of Simpson, Wes,  Shinji, Fuchs etc here.

For the younger players mentioned, it’s difficult to measure what % of their potential they’re currently playing at. If they train hard, are coached well, look after themselves and continuously improve, they should eventually reach their potential (whenever that is)

The frustrating bit as a supporter is seeing a clearly gifted player who never reaches their potential for whatever reason. The best example I can give is Julian Joachim. I thought he could have been a world beater.

Me too. 

And Mark Draper.  Although he had a PL career, when he was with us I honestly thought he would go on to be the next Gazza or captain England.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, murphy said:

Me too. 

And Mark Draper.  Although he had a PL career, when he was with us I honestly thought he would go on to be the next Gazza or captain England.

Draper stood out like a sore thumb in that 94/95 side. I loved watching him play and he seemed to have all the time in the world on the ball.

Someone posted this clip of him at Villa a while back. He's obviously thick as pig shit and all the players took the piss out of him. Interesting to hear John Gregory at the end saying "Mark Draper will play for England if he wants to

So in terms of potential, you can have all the skill and talent in the world but if you don't apply yourself properly or take the game seriously, I guess you'll never reach it.

Shame...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Draper stood out like a sore thumb in that 94/95 side. I loved watching him play and he seemed to have all the time in the world on the ball.

Someone posted this clip of him at Villa a while back. He's obviously thick as pig shit and all the players took the piss out of him. Interesting to hear John Gregory at the end saying "Mark Draper will play for England if he wants to

So in terms of potential, you can have all the skill and talent in the world but if you don't apply yourself properly or take the game seriously, I guess you'll never reach it.

Shame...

I always feel on my own about Draper as never saw the potential to get to the very top sure he had bags of skill but he never looked up for it. He looked like one of those players that thought their skills were enough and it was up to the rest of the team to do the graft and put themselves out there. I wasn't disappointed to see him leave. I don't mean headless chicken running either just basic getting stuck in to the game. He seemed to be on the outside looking in.

5 minutes ago, davieG said:

I always feel on my own about Draper as never saw the potential to get to the very top sure he had bags of skill but he never looked up for it. He looked like one of those players that thought their skills were enough and it was up to the rest of the team to do the graft and put themselves out there. I wasn't disappointed to see him leave. I don't mean headless chicken running either just basic getting stuck in to the game. He seemed to be on the outside looking in.

Interesting.  I thought he was outstanding.  I remember going to Notts County and seeing us lose 4-1.  Draper tore us apart.  In our PL season I thought he was often the best player on the pitch.  Not just in the dire Leicester side but out of all 22 players.

Just now, murphy said:

Interesting.  I thought he was outstanding.  I remember going to Notts County and seeing us lose 4-1.  Draper tore us apart.  In our PL season I thought he was often the best player on the pitch.  Not just in the dire Leicester side but out of all 22 players.

Players with bags of skill will always have outstanding days when things fall right for them but I remember so many times when the game or parts of it just seemed to pass him by. As I say I seem to be on my own with those thoughts but then he did fade away didn't he. Got one U21 cap and a bench spot for England. I'd say he never produce his potential not because of a lack of skills but because of a lack of character that you need to reach the very top.

I think we can agree that he drifted away and never fulfilled his potential.  The same as the Joachim, mentioned before.  

There does seem to be a common denominator here - Aston Villa - where talent goes to die.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Wookie said:

I posted this in another thread the other day

"How often have you seen a player that’s limited in attack actually improve in that regard? People probably said the same about Simpson when he was younger “oh he’s not very good going forwards but he’ll improve”. Our fans have been saying Chilwell will improve defensively but he barely has over two seasons."

Some posters think because Demarai Gray will improve because he's young, it doesn't really work like that because people said the same about Aaron Lennon and Walcott for years. Basically it's very rare that a player drastically improves from 20/21 to 26. There arse some players like Vardy which I think you have to discount because he wasn't in a professional environment until he was 25. Mahrez arguably is one but it doesn't happen often that a player is x good at 19 so will therefore be y good later on.

Vardy is the exception not the rule. Vardy also has a pretty extraordinary determination about him and he was skyrocketing through the leagues, it was hard to know what his upside was.

Mahrez has always been an excellent talent. That was clear from quite early on here.