Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxesDeb

Moving Abroad

18 minutes ago, toddybad said:

I wish I were in a position to even think of this. I'd love to live in France or Italy. I'm hoping what's going on doesn't wreck any chance of that in the future. Good luck to you if you do it!

Italy isn’t the easiest of places to settle in trust me. Great for holidays, not so much for living.

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

I've spent enough time in Malta over the last couple of years to know that it's where I want to be. I love Italy too, and it's not far away ? Just need to be brave and make the leap, before I'm too old. Might need to see if the Corinthia need any help with their customer relations ?

Behave deb!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Italy isn’t the easiest of places to settle in trust me. Great for holidays, not so much for living.

how come?

10 minutes ago, toddybad said:

how come?

Everything seems difficult. Imagine you go to rent a house and when you walk into an unfinished house eg electric cables hanging out of all the walls and no kitchen and the person trying to rent it to you thinks you are taking the piss when you ask where the kitchen is lol.

They literally take their kitchens with them when they move house, So bizarre.

I also lost£1000 deposit for not repainting the house white, as in the basic white smart price shit from B and Q white. So backwards.

Edited by Costock_Fox

6 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Everything seems difficult. Imagine you go to rent a house and when you walk into an unfinished house eg electric cables hanging out of all the walls and no kitchen and the person trying to rent it to you thinks you are taking the piss when you ask where the kitchen is lol.

I also lost£1000 deposit for not repainting the house white, as in the basic white smart price shit from B and Q white. So backwards.

I've found it to be a very "macho" country. The stereotypes don't do it justice.

23 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I've spent enough time in Malta over the last couple of years to know that it's where I want to be. I love Italy too, and it's not far away ? Just need to be brave and make the leap, before I'm too old. Might need to see if the Corinthia need any help with their customer relations ?

Just do it Deb.

It'll free the soul.

Are you in a job which gives you a sabbatical year?

17 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

You might smile Deb - but they probably do.

Corinthia is one of the most customer centric businesses I've ever worked with and are always on the lookout for people with a background in customer relations.

If/when you take the leap, DM me if you want and I'll give you the details of their Head of Recruitment in London who might know about opportunities in their Malta operation.

11 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Or you could just google it and Simon Coulson’s details will pop right up

Why did you feel the need to post that?

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

I've met many a brit-expat,who love their lives in Italy.Depends on Individual expectations and

doing basic homework.Never take anything for granted..Not long ago,not all UK lets had kitchens,

or Were left behind,by previous tennants.

Areas in Italy,let you take over all styles/condition of accomodation.

Like in the UK,you get shabby dumps,or well looked after older and newbuilds.

The fears should not be any greater than,what one would find in the UK.

A Portugese friend last year,went to NLondon with his daughter,and found nightmares

and potential flats. She Ended up in St.Albans,sharing a 2 BeD appartment,with an English

Women including  small garden.and dry cellar for storing..

My daughter just came From visiting a friend and New family  in Italy..Just Outside Pisa.

After 3 months,they found 3 bed par di terre,yes they had to buy the Kitchen,2nd hand From

a New neighbour,in the same block. 6 Appartements.No wiring/ infrastructure issues.

But one shouldnt move having,any expectations of grandeur.New life anywhere gives

New challenges, but the shit,the problems,difficulties,Satisfaction, suprises POS/neg

are found everywhere..

2 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Why did you feel the need to post that?

Deb might appreciate the option :dunno:

Likewise other people reading, if they don’t already know, might appreciate knowing that it’s pretty easy to find people involved in recruitment should they ever want to approach a company direct.

Just trying to help really.

Why did you want to keep it all hush hush in the DM’s?

Edited by Rogstanley

4 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

I've met many a brit-expat,who love their lives in Italy.Depends on Individual expectations and

doing basic homework.Never take anything for granted..Not long ago,not all UK lets had kitchens,

or Were left behind,by previous tennants.

Areas in Italy,let you take over all styles/condition of accomodation.

Like in the UK,you get shabby dumps,or well looked after older and newbuilds.

The fears should not be any greater than,what one would find in the UK.

A Portugese friend last year,went to NLondon with his daughter,and found nightmares

and potential flats. She Ended up in St.Albans,sharing a 2 BeD appartment,with an English

Women including  small garden.and dry cellar for storing..

My daughter just came From visiting a friend and New family  in Italy..Just Outside Pisa.

After 3 months,they found 3 bed par di terre,yes they had to buy the Kitchen,2nd hand From

a New neighbour,in the same block. 6 Appartements.No wiring/ infrastructure issues.

But one shouldnt move having,any expectations of grandeur.New life anywhere gives

New challenges, but the shit,the problems,difficulties,Satisfaction, suprises POS/neg

are found everywhere..

Of course it has its plus points and I guess the circumstances I went there were far from ideal which clouded it all a little bit.

The lifestyle is completely different and community facilities are great, every small village has its own sports centre which are well used. Supermarkets are great over there, so much fresh food available and the weather can obviously be much better than England.

Its just a bit of an eye opener when you have to sleep on a tiled floor for 4 days with no lights lol 

11 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

They do the same kitchen thing in Germany. I was rather confused when I walked into a house to see every possible thing removable had been removed! 

Jealous................ Honest

The advice I was given

Do your research first

Learn the basic language

Before moving to your place of choice rent a home for a month or so to know if it actually suits your needs

Site...... HomeAway does rentals. Cheap off season

Look for jobs in the area to see if there's any that suit you

Do a SWOT analysis before making the jump

Strengths

Weaknesses

Opportunities

Threats

Remember that finances and purchases of properties have hidden costs

Hope this is helpful, if not discard   :thumbup:

Best of Luck   

7 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

Deb might appreciate the option :dunno:

Likewise other people reading, if they don’t already know, might appreciate knowing that it’s pretty easy to find people involved in recruitment should they ever want to approach a company direct.

Just trying to help really.

Why did you want to keep it all hush hush in the DM’s?

Hush hush lol

Just taking something off-line as the information is only relevant to Deb.

I'm sure we all appreciate your Google search lesson though :thumbup:

16 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

What's the best way to do this? It would be within the EU, do you need to move first and then find a job, or will people employ you before you actually make the move?

I moved to Germany without a job so I can live with my gf. Did a german course for 6 months then luckily found a job. Been here 2 years or so now. I literally just moved, told the citizens office I was there and that was it. 

Edited by lgfualol

52 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

They do the same kitchen thing in Germany. I was rather confused when I walked into a house to see every possible thing removable had been removed! 

Weird isn’t it? I walked in and said “when is it finished?” And the guy thought I was asking for it furnished. The walls hasn’t even been plastered lol 

13 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

My parents have been out there 8 years in sept. They find it lovely. However you are correct they take a different approach to building etc.

Sure they take the piss out of ex pats price wise and timing wise etc.

My parents paid to buy a house in August/Sept. It wasn't finished so they moved into rented when they left the uk. Partly to help oversee works. But they had to move in on Christmas Eve still unfinished with no furniture as the storage company wouldn't work Christmas Eve in Italy that's more of a family day than Christmas day. 

Definitely have a different approach to the hustle and bustle of the UK.

To the OP make sure if you move without work you know what your restrictions etc in terms of staying and visa etc. If you plan to buy when you move. I guess unlikely assume you would rent or live in a hotel. You may have to prove how you plan to survive with no work.

My parents moved when my dad was 48 early retirement ment he had to prove he had enough money to live off until he could draw pensions.

Local authorities went through his finances in detail.

4 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

My parents have been out there 8 years in sept. They find it lovely. However you are correct they take a different approach to building etc.

Sure they take the piss out of ex pats price wise and timing wise etc.

My parents paid to buy a house in August/Sept. It wasn't finished so they moved into rented when they left the uk. Partly to help oversee works. But they had to move in on Christmas Eve still unfinished with no furniture as the storage company wouldn't work Christmas Eve in Italy that's more of a family day than Christmas day. 

Definitely have a different approach to the hustle and bustle of the UK.

To the OP make sure if you move without work you know what your restrictions etc in terms of staying and visa etc. If you plan to buy when you move. I guess unlikely assume you would rent or live in a hotel. You may have to prove how you plan to survive with no work.

My parents moved when my dad was 48 early retirement ment he had to prove he had enough money to live off until he could draw pensions.

Local authorities went through his finances in detail.

Oh yeah they definitely took the piss out of us, like I say £1000 deposit lost because we didn’t paint the house white and the other house trying to get us to plaster the walls.

Where in Italy are they?

5 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Of course it has its plus points and I guess the circumstances I went there were far from ideal which clouded it all a little bit.

The lifestyle is completely different and community facilities are great, every small village has its own sports centre which are well used. Supermarkets are great over there, so much fresh food available and the weather can obviously be much better than England.

Its just a bit of an eye opener when you have to sleep on a tiled floor for 4 days with no lights lol 

When did you go...1946??:whistle:

Yes the communities in towns,and the local  shops are IMO

better than many N.european comparisons.The Fresh food on offer

and keeping seasonal,and still bargaining for prices at local markets.

Wherever I went/go ,I head for the local bars and Cafés,using my Broken

or pidgeon Version of the language,and find the Spanien,Italiens,French,

welcoming and friendly.Even in the cities. And as strange as it may seem

there is always a couple who want to speak English to you.

Something funny,we get to discuss tourists,and even the Italiens think

they are probably the worst,home or abroad...

Edited by fuchsntf