Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Voll Blau

Cricket 2018

24 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

500 odd runs or bat for 2 days, the openers need to set the tone, cook needs dropping down the order.

I would only try Cook at 3. No other place.

for Butlers Wicket,we might have carried it deeper,with batsman to come tomorrow.

Don't blame Butler...Many of us would may of left it,New ball,expecting it to go over...shame.Small ifs and buts.

Woakes before Bairstow,would have been prudent,then Bairstow with the tail.

Woake s needs to practice with Bouncers,between the next Test.Though it was a Peach of a bouncer that got him.

Now we have criticised England....

Well done India...top,full all round cricketing performance. Still no1 ,they have a top squad of 14-15 players.

their catching has improved on this tour,for their first time in history 3 maybe 4 quality pace bowlers...wow-factor.

they have a batting line up,where every top 8 ,find no difficulty in getting regularly 28-40 runs.

we have difficulty in consistently getting 18-35 runs.So a start of 100-2, is can be nie impossible.

what is coaching staff doing,with Pope, playing him too high,and seemingly no pre game coaching!!!!!!

Kohli,got same players,bowling and batting putting in more effort,commitment  on their individual skills within the same Text series...Brilliant.

my changes....for this next game.If fit, Bairstow loses gloves,to Butler

Cook--Root---Bairstow---Stokes----Pope---Butler---Woakes-Curran--Rashid---Broad--Anderson..

Or try. ..changing Root and Bairstow around..

If Bairstow doesn't play....I would either bring Moen Ali back in,as a priority batsman. Or let's see what Burns can do..

My worry,is how do we not ruin Root for the future...IMO he should be batting 4.

So should we build around him totally...

So....    Cook--Burns--Bairstow--Root--Stokes--Butler(Wk) --Woakes--Curran--Rashid--Broad--Anderson.

We need desperately, consistently seeing,the openers getting 60+ partnership,to begin with,then again  players from 3 to 5,

where 2 are Hitting alone 70 runs regularly.  Unlike a few ex-player pundits,...it's nice to see players centuries,but they are still a rariety.

but I would be happy with consistency, over 38...with one getting slightly more that would see us,with (extras) getting closer

to 170-4,which is only a decent avg Internationally. 

Presently,we are happy to see 85-3,then depend on Root.  ffs we are often only 30-60 for 3...And in the last few season's too often.

We have struggled after Strauss-Cook opening.

Then we expect too much from our Wclass bowling line up.

A good opening top 3, would take the pressure off the quicker scoring Batsman like Stokes,Butler and ....Bairstow if playing lower.

Strangely...I still  see England ending up winning the series,still not happy with..1--2--3 batsman.

Then going on tour,unsure of our no1 spinner,and backup.

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

It all seems a bit daft coming back tomorrow I assume they bowled extra overs tonight does that come out of tomorrow’s total?

I’m tempted to say just declare tonight and don’t go through the rigmarole of all coming back tomorrow for potentially one delivery.

has a team ever declared to lose lol 

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

It all seems a bit daft coming back tomorrow I assume they bowled extra overs tonight does that come out of tomorrow’s total?

I’m tempted to say just declare tonight and don’t go through the rigmarole of all coming back tomorrow for potentially one delivery.

All about giving a mini psychological 'fvck you' to India's bowlers by making them go back tomorrow when mentally they were all looking forward to a day off. Throw in the towel tonight and that's basically an admission to both India and our middle/lower order that everything they worked for this afternoon in a bid to  recover and lose with a bit of dignity - and show the oppo they can't just waltz back into this series - meant nothing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

On a side note and no he shouldn’t be called back in,but Moeen Ali has had a good day.

scored about 130 runs today (219)

4 wickets

would be pleased with that days cricket 

Surely Ali will be called back in. It's very likely to spin at the Rose Bowl and he's in form. Seems a natural to come in for Bairstow with Buttler to take the gloves I'd have thought.

28 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

All about giving a mini psychological 'fvck you' to India's bowlers by making them go back tomorrow when mentally they were all looking forward to a day off. Throw in the towel tonight and that's basically an admission to both India and our middle/lower order that everything they worked for this afternoon in a bid to  recover and lose with a bit of dignity - and show the oppo they can't just waltz back into this series - meant nothing.

:thumbup:

26 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

True, but it’s also a day off our boys don’t get. We made our point today, tomorrow is most likely a massive waste of time for the players, the fans and all the staff, ground staff, security, ticketing, cleaning and all the concession stalls.

1 minute ago, Captain... said:

True, but it’s also a day off our boys don’t get. We made our point today, tomorrow is most likely a massive waste of time for the players, the fans and all the staff, ground staff, security, ticketing, cleaning and all the concession stalls.

Denying the touring team that full day off is way more important in a 5 test series than our boys being denied it. Neither team will have particularly wanted to come back tomorrow but the Indians will have wanted the day off more.

10 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Meanwhile since the eve of the test match Moeen Ali has scored a T20 century, a first class double century and taken 6 wickets. Worcestershire's gain.....................

Great effort from Ali, but he is not what we need unless we are going to open with him. We need an opener and a number 3 that will protect their wicket and protect the stroke players. Root is our best batsman but he is exposed every innings by our openers. I feel sorry for Pope thrown in at 4, when he’s never come to the crease before the 20th over in his first class career and now he’s coming in around the 14th over mark with the bowlers on top in every innings he has played for England. Pope, Buttler, Bairstow, Stokes even Root are aggressive stroke players, Malan caught the eye in limited overs we can’t just keep shoving expansive aggressive players further up the order when our openers can’t put a partnership together. We’ve still not replaced Strauss and we haven’t replaced Trott as someone to come in at 3 and build an innings.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Denying the touring team that full day off is way more important in a 5 test series than our boys being denied it. Neither team will have particularly wanted to come back tomorrow but the Indians will have wanted the day off more.

For sure especially as 9 of our team know the have nothing to do. I’m amazed they are charging money for this. I wonder if they considered not having any fans. The cost of opening the stands and everything else is probably not going to be covered by a handful of die hards paying a tenner. 

5 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Nine of the team will be doing nothing but piss about on the balcony and then shake hands. India still have to go out on the field at get the job done. It's still something for them to have to spend time thinking about tonight instead of chilling out.

Like I say, what message would it send to our batsmen? Digging in is pointless and futile because we'll just give up anyway if it looks like we're done for?

See your point about it being a waste of time for non-players, but I personally think it's quite a nice and timely reminder to the ICC/BCCI of exactly why we need to keep five day Tests.

2 minutes ago, Captain... said:

For sure especially as 9 of our team know the have nothing to do. I’m amazed they are charging money for this. I wonder if they considered not having any fans. The cost of opening the stands and everything else is probably not going to be covered by a handful of die hards paying a tenner. 

I definitely get your point regarding costs. Very few will even pay an Ayrton Senna tomorrow with nine down. They'd actually have been better just saying free entry but I suppose it would cost them even more the more people who turn up. It's a difficult one but I'm with Voll Blau on it, it serves as an annoyance to the touring team to have to return and the series is still firmly in the balance.

4 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Nine of the team will be doing nothing but piss about on the balcony and then shake hands. India still have to go out on the field at get the job done. It's still something for them to have to spend time thinking about tonight instead of chilling out.

Like I say, what message would it send to our batsmen? Digging in is pointless and futile because we'll just give up anyway if it looks like we're done for?

See your point about it being a waste of time for non-players, but I personally think it's quite a nice and timely reminder to the ICC/BCCI of exactly why we need to keep five day Tests.

It was a fine futile effort, but it was always going to be a losing cause. If anything this series has been an advert for four day tests. Imagine the excitement tonight if they were clinging on for draw rather than just delaying the inevitable.

2 minutes ago, Captain... said:

It was a fine futile effort, but it was always going to be a losing cause. If anything this series has been an advert for four day tests. Imagine the excitement tonight if they were clinging on for draw rather than just delaying the inevitable.

Doubt India would see it that way...

12 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Great effort from Ali, but he is not what we need unless we are going to open with him. We need an opener and a number 3 that will protect their wicket and protect the stroke players. Root is our best batsman but he is exposed every innings by our openers. I feel sorry for Pope thrown in at 4, when he’s never come to the crease before the 20th over in his first class career and now he’s coming in around the 14th over mark with the bowlers on top in every innings he has played for England. Pope, Buttler, Bairstow, Stokes even Root are aggressive stroke players, Malan caught the eye in limited overs we can’t just keep shoving expansive aggressive players further up the order when our openers can’t put a partnership together. We’ve still not replaced Strauss and we haven’t replaced Trott as someone to come in at 3 and build an innings.

Your post has made me reflect. You're probably right with that summary. I think he'd be a very handy bowler to have at the Rose Bowl but it's our batting that is more in need of surgery. Moeen can play long innings though. I'm also not sure if we have a number 3 capable of coming in an playing that anchor role or he'd already be playing. As for an opener, jusy goes to show how blessed England were to have Strauss and Cook together at the time they did. One classic accumulator and one more attacking (yet very reliable) partner. Oh for someone with the stickability of Atherton (so long as McGrath wasn't bowling of course).

6 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Doubt India would see it that way...

I'm sure we can all see an argument for 4 day tests without agreeing with it. However, it would be a no from me. A lot of the classic historical test matches went to the 5th day for a victory. 

• Like 3