Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Voll Blau

Cricket 2018

2 minutes ago, Captain... said:

True but with a chance of saving the first 2 tests they might not have capitulated so easily.

That's a fair point too. If it was across the board though, there'd be times in India where you'd only get an innings each in 4 days tbh.

• Like 2

Just now, Max Wall said:

Also, if test were 4 days, that classic test between India and Australia at Eden Gardens in 2001 would have ended a draw!

Of course, I want every test to be an epic battle over 5 days. At the moment many are not going the distance. 4 day tests could result in closer matches and aggressive declarations, 4 days of 100 overs in a day with the option of a fifth day to bowl any overs lost to conditions is something worth exploring.

• Like 1

Just now, Captain... said:

Of course, I want every test to be an epic battle over 5 days. At the moment many are not going the distance. 4 day tests could result in closer matches and aggressive declarations, 4 days of 100 overs in a day with the option of a fifth day to bowl any overs lost to conditions is something worth exploring.

Yeah, it's hard to disagree with what you're saying in all honesty. I'm not sure what the actual figures are but it's probably well into the majority of tests that end before the 5th day these days. I'd still like 5 day tests to remain though. Probably because it doesn't cost me anything. My major concern would be that more aggressive declarations (and consequently, more aggressive test batting) just pushes test cricket more towards shorter formats when T20 and one day internationals already cover a more aggressive approach to the game. Maybe I'm just living in the past too much, I am old.

I still think a classic 5th day of a test match, whether it's a run chase that's completed, a bowling victory or a backs to the wall draw fought out, remains the absolute apex of test cricket. As you point out, they are few and far between but they are great when they happen. I'd just hate to lose that.

That said, I think 4 day tests are inevitable, I just rather it happened after I was dead lol

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Yeah, it's hard to disagree with what you're saying in all honesty. I'm not sure what the actual figures are but it's probably well into the majority of tests that end before the 5th day these days. I'd still like 5 day tests to remain though. Probably because it doesn't cost me anything. My major concern would be that more aggressive declarations (and consequently, more aggressive test batting) just pushes test cricket more towards shorter formats when T20 and one day internationals already cover a more aggressive approach to the game. Maybe I'm just living in the past too much, I am old.

I still think a classic 5th day of a test match, whether it's a run chase that's completed, a bowling victory or a backs to the wall draw fought out, remains the absolute apex of test cricket. As you point out, they are few and far between but they are great when they happen. I'd just hate to lose that.

That said, I think 4 day tests are inevitable, I just rather it happened after I was dead lol

agree with your last few posts on the subject of 4 day tests.  

the tactics and mentality would change,and it is another animal...

we have cycles of playing outcomes,at present we've had, good  bowling displays matched with some real poor batting displays.

I just love the 5 day beast..if some games don't go the distance....so be it.

Plus,I would like to see ,where rain has interrupted play...and weather and sunlight permitting games start earlier at 10:00,

and can go on until 21:00,when disrupted. Day abandonned decision can be therefore delayed until later.

There are always 4-5 umpires at these,games so if the day is lengthened,restructure and rotate off and on field ,how umpires,are used in longdays!!!

Some world  locations,would not allow such flexability,especially when the sunlight decreases rapidly.

I also believe it's time the authorities,give free and openly the criteria & technology of the light meters,to the fans,it's the fans /customers who lose

Precious hrs,or days even money and not forgetting the expected entertainment,when umpires chose to take players off,or stay on according

To those readings....it's become a big part of the game,it must be shared with the paying customer....

No matter this test outcome...Forget the negatives,the series for varying reasons has been a joy to watch,and unlike football,more fans

From opposite teams,can enjoy together the days play,and don't need to trash the opposition.

If India find consistency with their pace attack,over the next few international seasons,then wow !!!  India will stay nr1 for a decade.

Its a young attack that could well have a long future,supported by great young spinners ,and a batting group who collectively show how

quick they can adapt and learn....Even if they still lose this series.

Can Root,and any of the top 6,do the same and hold a decent bat,in the last 2 tests.

Because if they can get scores above 300,our own great bowlers puts us in the game..

That 163 in the 1st innings, and too many easy dropped catches  cost us the Test.

I don't count diving dropped chances as poor .....only those that go straight to hand.I

An opener getting runs,and Root,getting only a small hundred,will bring runs,from the middle/lower order.

Then we are more than equal to India, with Kohli,who is one of the best cricketers and captains of modern times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

Great effort from Ali, but he is not what we need unless we are going to open with him. We need an opener and a number 3 that will protect their wicket and protect the stroke players. Root is our best batsman but he is exposed every innings by our openers. I feel sorry for Pope thrown in at 4, when he’s never come to the crease before the 20th over in his first class career and now he’s coming in around the 14th over mark with the bowlers on top in every innings he has played for England. Pope, Buttler, Bairstow, Stokes even Root are aggressive stroke players, Malan caught the eye in limited overs we can’t just keep shoving expansive aggressive players further up the order when our openers can’t put a partnership together. We’ve still not replaced Strauss and we haven’t replaced Trott as someone to come in at 3 and build an innings.

Point being Moeen before his England call up was a batsman and part time bowler. Obviously his bowling has came on since then whether people see him as international standard or not. He's been treated poorly, being thrown in wherever in the batting order except where he has scored the bulk of his runs at county level. Now we've chucked Pope in at 4 when I think i'm right in saying he bats at 6 for Surrey?

Guest MattP
8 hours ago, Captain... said:

True, but it’s also a day off our boys don’t get. We made our point today, tomorrow is most likely a massive waste of time for the players, the fans and all the staff, ground staff, security, ticketing, cleaning and all the concession stalls.

I'd hope our top four will use a lot of the day to spend some time in the nets. Something is wrong if they aren't.

Of course you don't declare to lose a match, value your wicket, that sort of attitude is why we get bowled out in a session.

8 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Cricket is a game of pondering your thoughts, you may well learn that one day instead of your childish sarcasm

You've been pondering your thoughts on England's fourth innings for more than 24 hours going by your post time and content.

Are you Geoff Boycott?

Oh, and lighten up, there's a good lad :thumbup:

If that came across as sarcastic and condescending, it was meant to. I'd also argue that children struggle with the concept of sarcasm. Unless exceptionally gifted of course.

Edited by Max Wall

52 minutes ago, MattP said:

I'd hope our top four will use a lot of the day to spend some time in the nets. Something is wrong if they aren't.

Of course you don't declare to lose a match, value your wicket, that sort of attitude is why we get bowled out in a session.

Oh, I know, it was partly tongue in cheek, but it would just be the most typical thing for England to lose their last wicket first ball. 

It just seems like a massive waste of everyone’s time and effort. There must be a better way of dealing with these situations.

13 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

500 odd runs or bat for 2 days, the openers need to set the tone, cook needs dropping down the order.

Actually, let me apologise for that last post. I really cba with another fight on FT, one's enough.

My time warp post was a flippant remark but you posted the above at 7pm last night when England were 311-9 and both openers had been out cheaply about 8 hours previously. It was only meant to be a joke, I genuinely apologise if I offended you. 

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Oh, I know, it was partly tongue in cheek, but it would just be the most typical thing for England to lose their last wicket first ball. 

It just seems like a massive waste of everyone’s time and effort. There must be a better way of dealing with these situations.

I don't think there is, you can't start toying with it as it won't always be a weather forecast that's dry. Imagine if today was a predicted washout and you gave India extra time to win it on day four.

I don't really like the extra half hour being offered, if they can't get their overs in too bad.

Just now, MattP said:

I don't think there is, you can't start toying with it as it won't always be a weather forecast that's dry. Imagine if today was a predicted washout and you gave India extra time to win it on day four.

I don't really like the extra half hour being offered, if they can't get their overs in too bad.

Two great points. The onus is on India to bowl the allotted overs if they're chasing the win. Couple that with the times supporters of each nation have celebrated a rained off final day resulting in an ill deserved draw.

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, Max Wall said:

Two great points. The onus is on India to bowl the allotted overs if they're chasing the win. Couple that with the times supporters of each nation have celebrated a rained off final day resulting in an ill deserved draw.

Absolutely, it's also the captain's job to time declarations with weather in mind and I'd hate to see them get away with potential mistakes.

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

The only thing I could think of is have a bit of an exhibition T20 with the unused squad members and a few notts lads and some of the former pros hanging around I’d pay a tenner and drink all day to see the end of a test and then a bit of fun. I know cricket isn’t like football and you can’t just pitch up and play you need to prepare the wicket but something like that would get more fans in and mean you’re not just rocking up for 1 ball.

Guest MattP
10 minutes ago, Captain... said:

The only thing I could think of is have a bit of an exhibition T20 with the unused squad members and a few notts lads and some of the former pros hanging around I’d pay a tenner and drink all day to see the end of a test and then a bit of fun. I know cricket isn’t like football and you can’t just pitch up and play you need to prepare the wicket but something like that would get more fans in and mean you’re not just rocking up for 1 ball.

Notts are currently playing a Championship match. I doubt the ex-pros would want to do that either I'd imagine they want to go home to their families.

Anyway they have said free admission now, right call for anyone.

25 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Actually, let me apologise for that last post. I really cba with another fight on FT, one's enough.

My time warp post was a flippant remark but you posted the above at 7pm last night when England were 311-9 and both openers had been out cheaply about 8 hours previously. It was only meant to be a joke, I genuinely apologise if I offended you. 

No worries, i knew it was meant as a joke, as was the reply.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MattP said:

Yeah this is something I've never really got my head around.
The onus is on the fielding team to keep a good over rate.

I understand getting extra time when there has been rain but as far as I know (and I may be wrong because I hadn't seen any of the weekend's play) there hasn't been any rain delays or finishing early for bad light?

34 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I understand getting extra time when there has been rain but as far as I know (and I may be wrong because I hadn't seen any of the weekend's play) there hasn't been any rain delays or finishing early for bad light?

Nothing apart from a delayed start on day 1.

57 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I do agree with your thoughts on that but maybe it's in place as batsmen take as much time as they can throughout the day when batting to save a test therefore slowing the over rate. We've all seen it done. The onus is on the umpires to stop that happening but they usually aren't firm enough.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Notts are currently playing a Championship match. I doubt the ex-pros would want to do that either I'd imagine they want to go home to their families.

Anyway they have said free admission now, right call for anyone.

Definitely the right call but I still would be surprised if anyone who lives more than 10 minutes from the ground would head down. I suppose all the Indian fans that are staying in the city with nothing better to do would probably go to see the victory.