Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leeds Fox

A new way of operating.

Don't want to be negative of Puel but the manager will pretty much never have final say in transfers. Puel may compile a list of players he's interested in then the club will choose what they want. Less often the club goes to the manager with a list and lets him chose from the players they've identified. Puel would have obviously given the green light for all the transfers though.

5 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

So far it seems clear that we’ve approached this transfer window in a much better manner than we have in recent years. We seem to have identified areas we needed to strengthen, picked our targets and put in some serious groundwork to enable us to get the deals done early. For all of the bad press Puel has had on here for his performances, it certainly looks like he’s the driving force behind this. 

It could be because he knows he’s on a tight-rope as the new seasons begins or it could be that he’s seen us make a hash of it previously and isn’t willing to be a victim of other people’s incompetence. Either way, we’ve done excellent so far, bringing in who we want without being hijacked or had players second guess us as a club. It also leads me to think that we’re selling them a project (wages obviously play a big part but we won’t be the only team interested in our targets).

There’ll be no hiding places for Puel next season, I think he’s building something special here... cue a sacking before Christmas. 

Only time will tell. I hated Puel at the end of last season, I still think he's as boring as dry toast, but if he's staying then I will back him and so far its looking positive. I'm genuinely excited by our business so far 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Don't want to be negative of Puel but the manager will pretty much never have final say in transfers. Puel may compile a list of players he's interested in then the club will choose what they want. Less often the club goes to the manager with a list and lets him chose from the players they've identified. Puel would have obviously given the green light for all the transfers though.

I understand that Nacho, but if he’s had a meetings with the owners and put it to them that business needs to be done early to help us move in the right direction next season it could have had an affect on how others are being instructed to operate in their respective areas.

Maybe the recruitment personnel have finally seen the error of their ways... but after this long it seems unlikely. 

• Like 1

We'll see. Could just as easily argue that Macia was behind all of this and just needed some time to get his scouting processes in place. All the transfer windows since he's joined haven't been bad at all really although this is certainly promising to be the best one yet.

• Like 2

Think the early transfer window is a lot of it.

A lot of clubs seem to be doing deals a few weeks earlier now the window closes in early August before the season starts.

You forget there's only another 6 weeks now til it closes and this is the equivilent of late July in the past windows. 

I'm hoping this new window should turn out to be a good thing in the end. Just hope they also stick to abolishing the January window.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sampson said:

A lot of clubs seem to be doing deals a few weeks earlier now the window closes in early August before the season starts.

You forget there's only another 6 weeks now til it closes and this is the equivilent of late July in the past windows. 

I'm hoping this new window should turn out to be a good thing in the end. Just hope they also stick to abolishing the January window.

Has this been announced as an intention?

I’d prefer to keep it. Only the big clubs can retain enough quality on the bench to guard against long term injuries to first teamers. For the rest the Jan transfer window is needed.

What I love about this window is we've bought in three players so far who you would expect to walk into our first team. All in key positions as well as we've been crying out for a right back, centre half and proper No10 for a couple of years.

Compare that to the previous two seasons when according to transfermarket we've spent €180m and the only two players we've bought who would be considered guaranteed first team players are Ndidi and Maguire.

7 hours ago, Gerard said:

What I love about this window is we've bought in three players so far who you would expect to walk into our first team. All in key positions as well as we've been crying out for a right back, centre half and proper No10 for a couple of years.

Compare that to the previous two seasons when according to transfermarket we've spent €180m and the only two players we've bought who would be considered guaranteed first team players are Ndidi and Maguire.

The last paragraph sums up why heads should roll.   Getting just two decisions right does not right the huge misjudgments that have been made.  Stating the obvious, we need to shift out the surplus and cut losses as soon as we can. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

So far it seems clear that we’ve approached this transfer window in a much better manner than we have in recent years. We seem to have identified areas we needed to strengthen, picked our targets and put in some serious groundwork to enable us to get the deals done early. For all of the bad press Puel has had on here for his performances, it certainly looks like he’s the driving force behind this. 

It could be because he knows he’s on a tight-rope as the new seasons begins or it could be that he’s seen us make a hash of it previously and isn’t willing to be a victim of other people’s incompetence. Either way, we’ve done excellent so far, bringing in who we want without being hijacked or had players second guess us as a club. It also leads me to think that we’re selling them a project (wages obviously play a big part but we won’t be the only team interested in our targets).

There’ll be no hiding places for Puel next season, I think he’s building something special here... cue a sacking before Christmas. 

I don't believe there's been any significant changes transfers have always been hit and miss and although this look like quality round pegs in round holes that's yet to be proven.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davieG said:

I don't believe there's been any significant changes transfers have always been hit and miss and although this look like quality round pegs in round holes that's yet to be proven.

Quite right, I was making the point of how we’ve gone about our business rather than the specific players we’ve brought in.  

14 hours ago, Sampson said:

Wasnt huth a january signing that helped save our bacon?

15 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Perhaps Scapegoat Number One Jon Rudkin has learned some valuable lessons from previous windows and is putting those into practice now.

I'm honestly thrilled with the signings we've made so far, not just in their quality and their suitability for areas we need them, but definitely the speed we've done it at.

3 new signings in by June 20.

Just looking at our last few windows, pre-July:

2017: Harry Maguire June 15th, Sam Hughes for U21s June 9th

2016: Ron-Robert Zieler June 3rd, Luiz Hernandez June 29th, Raul Uche for Academy June 29th

2015: Christian Fuchs June 3rd, Robert Huth (permanent) June 24th, Shinji Okazaki June 26th

2014: Marc Albrighton May 23rd, Matthew Upson May 23rd, Ben Hamer May 22nd, Jack Barmby for Academy May 23rd

This could well be our best window since the summer before we won the league.

51 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I'm honestly thrilled with the signings we've made so far, not just in their quality and their suitability for areas we need them, but definitely the speed we've done it at.

3 new signings in by June 20.

Just looking at our last few windows, pre-July:

2017: Harry Maguire June 15th, Sam Hughes for U21s June 9th

2016: Ron-Robert Zieler June 3rd, Luiz Hernandez June 29th, Raul Uche for Academy June 29th

2015: Christian Fuchs June 3rd, Robert Huth (permanent) June 24th, Shinji Okazaki June 26th

2014: Marc Albrighton May 23rd, Matthew Upson May 23rd, Ben Hamer May 22nd, Jack Barmby for Academy May 23rd

This could well be our best window since the summer before we won the league.

When you notice that when we won the league, we signed a quality European defender, a highly experienced centre back and an exciting attacking player....

6A53CF58-88B8-4255-AB4A-8B6384705CE3.jpeg

• Like 3