Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jordan

Fuzzy memories

The “Players you’ve forgotten that played for us” thread in the LCFC forum has got me thinking about a few things in recent sport history that I just didn’t remember correctly.

For example, I could have sworn Alan Curbishley managed at slew of clubs, but he only ever had two manager roles (I guess this comes from his name being linked to every vacancy at a London club for a generation).

Also, I relearned today that we poached Paolo Sousa from Swansea City (somehow I remembered his previous gig as being from some random Central European team). And I completely forgot Yakubu had two other stints in England within the last four years (Reading and Coventry)

These probably aren’t the most ridiculous or funniest poor memories, but do any of you have any good examples of fuzzy memories, “misremembering,” the Mandela Effect, etc in football?

Edited by Jordan

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Because it was such a shit period for our club, I think I've learnt to make fuzzy as possible the era of 2004-2008 lol 

The exact same thing for me with that era. I forgot we had a manager between Levein and Megson. There were 3. And one of them was here for a year.

8 minutes ago, davieG said:

Here's one from back in my youth,

My brother a mate and I hitched our way down to London to watch us v WHU, we were losing 3-0 at half-time and came back to win 4-3. 

We then had to hitch our way back so we got the  underground as far north as we could afford and had enough money for two train tickets to Leicester, tplan was for one of us to sneak on the train with a platform ticket which you needed back then, but someone saw us talking about it and refused us tickets.

We decided we'd have to hitch after all, we eventually got a lift in a van which was heading for Oxford and managed to convince the driver that the A6 was the correct way. Me and my brother were in the back helping ourselves to sweets, yes it was a sweet delivery van.

Unfortunately when we got to Finedon, the driver saw a copper and asked him the way and he turfed us out.

It was sometime in February and freezing weather and by now about 1.00am we ended up walking to Kettering Station, it was so cold we kept sheltering in phone boxes and shelter bus stops where we spent the night in the waiting room. Sunday morning we found a newsagent and bought all the newspapers after we'd read all about our amazing comeback from 3-0 down we managed to find some coal and got a fire going in the waiting room fireplace.

We eventually got the first train back to Leicester which was about 11am

Now all that is as clear as if it was yesterday except I can find no record of us having beaten WHU 4-3

:dunno:

I'm calling it....you're not DavieG, you're DavieC....David Cameron, aren't you?

You've gone and confused West Ham and Villa all over again, haven't you, Dave?! 

As for your story...... bloody juvenile delinquents, and you come across as a pillar of the community now! 

:D

12 minutes ago, davieG said:

Here's one from back in my youth,

My brother a mate and I hitched our way down to London to watch us v WHU, we were losing 3-0 at half-time and came back to win 4-3. 

We then had to hitch our way back so we got the  underground as far north as we could afford and had enough money for two train tickets to Leicester, tplan was for one of us to sneak on the train with a platform ticket which you needed back then, but someone saw us talking about it and refused us tickets.

We decided we'd have to hitch after all, we eventually got a lift in a van which was heading for Oxford and managed to convince the driver that the A6 was the correct way. Me and my brother were in the back helping ourselves to sweets, yes it was a sweet delivery van.

Unfortunately when we got to Finedon, the driver saw a copper and asked him the way and he turfed us out.

It was sometime in February and freezing weather and by now about 1.00am we ended up walking to Kettering Station, it was so cold we kept sheltering in phone boxes and shelter bus stops where we spent the night in the waiting room. Sunday morning we found a newsagent and bought all the newspapers after we'd read all about our amazing comeback from 3-0 down we managed to find some coal and got a fire going in the waiting room fireplace.

We eventually got the first train back to Leicester which was about 11am

Now all that is as clear as if it was yesterday except I can find no record of us having beaten WHU 4-3

:dunno:

What sort of year are we talking. We beat them 5-2 in 1965?

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

I'm calling it....you're not DavieG, you're DavieC....David Cameron, aren't you?

You've gone and confused West Ham and Villa all over again, haven't you, Dave?! 

As for your story...... bloody juvenile delinquents, and you come across as a pillar of the community now! 

:D

I'm was the youngest and  easily lead :D

Not being a catholic there was no one i could confess to until now. Foxestalk can now have a Confession forum.:P

2 minutes ago, pds said:

No idea of the goal scoring order but perhaps we came from 2-0 to win 5-2 lol

Fairly confident it was Jan/Feb time. Perhaps the few pre-match beers we had is affecting my memory but for me to remember all that it must have been significant game. Not that i can remember the goal scorers.

When people on here recall their first game they can always remember who it was, who scored and what the goals were like and so on. I've been going to games regularly since 06/07 I reckon but the first games I can vividly remember are games from 09/10, I'd have been 11 or 12 throughout that season too which I feel is quite late to be remembering details. My first ever game was the inaugural game at the Walkers v Athletic Bilbao not far off a decade before I can pick out details with clarity lol 

My first game was v Ipswich in 1995 (aged 5) apparently, not a bean of recollection! My fuzziest childhood/teenage memories include (in no particular order)

- Being round my Aunt's house (she had Sky) for the 1997 (first game) and 2000 League Cup finals. Listened to the 1999 one on the radio

- Cheering Heskey's opener listening to the radio in the 97 cup final replay :blush:

- Being at the FNF game when they launched Walkers Lites, can remember the green packaging on the Walkers pack and having my face painted

- The green goalie shirt of Charlton's keeper in the first actual proper game I recall at home in 98/99

- How amazed and enthralled I was by the shinys in my sister's PL Sticker album circa 95-98. The way they glistened in the light

- Gerry Taggart hitting his own bar v Man City in the 00/01 horrendous run

- Watching the second leg of Red Star Belgrade on Channel 5 and being heartbroken when we lost.

- Watching Ceefax on the "old" deadline day when we signed Lee Marshall from Norwich. Also when I was BUZZING at signing Dean Sturridge

- Dad leaving the 0-4 v Soton in 01/02 with ten minutes to go and we missed their fourth. Depressing stuff.

- Standing waiting for a bus by the neglected Liberty Shoe after we lost to Wycombe - actually remember fist-pumping round the kitchen when that draw was made

- Going with my dad to look at the new stadium as it was being built, and being utterly captivated by it

- Sitting in a pretty empty stadium for two days straight watching the Pepsi Max challenge

- Going absolutely bezerk when Hignett scored the leveller against Arsenal in 03/04

Probably have loads, loads more, but I enjoyed that mental delve into my history with the club!