Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Chilwell to Manchester City

10 minutes ago, Joefox said:

Fine. We’ll keep finding these good players, develop them for a bit then sell them on. We will just stay in 8th position and not aim any higher.

like I said I understand the reality I’m just saying it’s incredibly frustrating to see us develop a quality side with a good manager only to see us sell them. I expect bids to come in for Chillwell, Maddison etc and I expect them to leave when it happens.

Yes that’s probably what will happen unless you have a spare billion quid to buy players.

15 minutes ago, Joefox said:

Yea sure we can delay it for a bit but it’s inevitable in the end.

With my blue tinted glasses on I am hoping we can keep the squad together, add a couple of quality players and make the Champions League again. That way, we may retain players and keep attracting better ones.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Joefox said:

Fine. We’ll keep finding these good players, develop them for a bit then sell them on. We will just stay in 8th position and not aim any higher.

like I said I understand the reality I’m just saying it’s incredibly frustrating to see us develop a quality side with a good manager only to see us sell them. I expect bids to come in for Chillwell, Maddison etc and I expect them to leave when it happens.

If we don't sign up-and-coming u23s then we're never going to progress as a club.. We'll be stuck buying players who are at our current level (i.e. not quite good enough for European qualification) and stagnate as a mid-tier side, exactly as the likes of Everton, West Ham have done in recent years. The players who are at their peak and good enough to take us to the next level are - funnily enough - already being targeted by clubs at that level, so we don't stand a chance at getting them (barring some oil-backed buyout of the club and hugely inflated contracts/incentives).

Our best bet for progressing into one of those clubs (so that we don't lose youth players like you're scared of) is to keep on doing it anyway and hope we can buck the trend - similar to Tottenham - and convince a few to stay. Southampton did well for a couple years but suffered because an enforced change of ownership with the new owners not as enthused about keeping star assets. We've got owners who are much more involved with the club, keen on making us a consistent European challenger and are far more willing to play hardball on transfers, a manager who is perfect for working with talented young players, a European-leading training ground in development and on top of all that there's a clear pathway from our squad to the England set-up, which was far less common back when Southampton were knocking on the door.

Chilwell and Maddison won't leave this season. If we continue at our current rate we've got a decent shot at Europe next year, and if we can achieve that then those players may be even more inclined to stay long-term.

• Like 1

All this talk of only staying as a mid table side makes me realise how far we've come as a club. Only a few years ago we would have been more than happy not to be regarded as relegation candidates.That's not to say we should not be ambitious but it takes time to become a top six club, unless we have billions to throw at it we have to accept that we sometimes have to sell some of our best players for the greater good. It may take a few more years before we are good enough for existing star players to think it is a good option to stay put because we can offer champions league each season, but I'm sure with our owners that will eventually become a reality.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

We've still only sold 3 players who we didn't want to lose, essentially 1 a season in Kante, Drinkwater and Mahrez. Vardy has been kept, Schmeichel has been kept and now there's a new wave of talent who are being linked and fans are moaning about how we are going to sell them and never progress as a result. This club makes it very difficult for players to leave, look at how hard it was for Mahrez. It took nearly 3 full transfer windows and numerous displays of petulance and gross misconduct to get his move. We won't bend over and be done up the botty by bigger clubs just because they want our players. If they want them they will have to pay over and above the market value, which right now is spiralling out of control. These players are more than happy to sign long term contracts with us and often extend those deals on improved terms so I don't get the negativity. We aren't going to sell 3-4 of our best players each season, not a chance when we don't need to. We may however strategically sell the odd one if it makes sense. Selling Maguire at 26 for the figures being talked about would seriously have to be considered as he may have reached his maximum in value and also in our team he perhaps isn't as impeccable as he could be elsewhere, meaning if we lost him it wouldn't be as disastrous as losing a player like Vardy or Tielemans if he was ours. We also bought 2 highly promising defenders as protection for losing Maguire last summer so we've done the preparation on this one.

We as a club have actually learnt from the frustration of losing Kante without being able to do much about it, we got lucky with Vardy as he realised what he'd got with us and we are forever in each other's debt both player and club. Drinkwater we suffered as a result of it dragging on until the closing minutes of the window and we ballsed up the Silva transfer and that will have hurt the club massively. We won't be as ill prepared again, if clubs want our stars it will be obscene money and that's why the majority of them will stay.

Drinkwater was a sell all day long at that price considering how poor he'd been for over half a season. 

Kante was never our choice after the release clause.

The only player we've sold against our will in recent years is Mahrez. 

46 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Drinkwater was a sell all day long at that price considering how poor he'd been for over half a season. 

Kante was never our choice after the release clause.

The only player we've sold against our will in recent years is Mahrez. 

Exactly, although we didn't really want to lose Drinkwater but named our price of £35m mid summer and Chelsea then only went and paid it!!!

3 hours ago, MGLCFC said:

With my blue tinted glasses on I am hoping we can keep the squad together, add a couple of quality players and make the Champions League again. That way, we may retain players and keep attracting better ones.

Yep same here, we would never get a better chance of overtaking Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea, next season we could make a big statement of intent.

4 hours ago, MGLCFC said:

Nicking my specs and being positive......

Love it! lol