Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Flight Sims

3 hours ago, Collymore said:

Flight sim not working anymore for me. Says it needs a mandatory update but rather than kicking in like it usually does in the game, it takes me to the Microsoft website where it's a generic page with no mention of an update...

Do you have the steam version? It might be worth uninstalling and then reinstalling.

I had an issue with mine a couple of months ago and did the same.

I was worried at first because I thought it would take absolutely ages however it seems that when you uninstall it, it will keep most of the files so the reinstall is quite quick.

Worth trying that because it reinstalls any files that might be corrupt or causing you issues.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Collymore said:

Flight sim not working anymore for me. Says it needs a mandatory update but rather than kicking in like it usually does in the game, it takes me to the Microsoft website where it's a generic page with no mention of an update...

8 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Do you have the steam version? It might be worth uninstalling and then reinstalling.

I was worried at first because I thought it would take absolutely ages however it seems that when you uninstall it, it will keep most of the files so the reinstall is quite quick.

Worth trying that because it reinstalls any files that might be corrupt or causing you issues.

For future reference there's an even quicker solution than a reinstall with Steam titles:  Find the problem game in the Steam library; right click and select "properties"; navigate to "local files"; select "verify integrity of game files".  Usually if there's any corrupted data this will identify and fix it without an uninstall/reinstall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, adejo92 said:

8 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

For future reference there's an even quicker solution than a reinstall with Steam titles:  Find the problem game in the Steam library; right click and select "properties"; navigate to "local files"; select "verify integrity of game files".  Usually if there's any corrupted data this will identify and fix it without an uninstall/reinstall.

My version is through the Xbox game pass on PC. Steam does allow me to add games to its library, not sure if that would work...

Edited by Collymore

5 hours ago, Collymore said:

My version is through the Xbox game pass on PC. Steam does allow me to add games to its library, not sure if that would work...

If the files are still saved locally on the pc I feel like it should but don't hold me to that.

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Collymore said:

Got this working again. Seems more smoother since the update. Anyone flew the Hornet yet?

Haven’t given it a try yet but there’s loads of people buzzing around in it online :D

Performance has massively improved over the last 6 months and IMO it still looks amazing.

Been trying the FlyByWire A20N mod recently and it seems as though it’s in a really good state. I’d always been PMDG 737 / zibo 737 in the past so was always reluctant to try and learn anything airbus, but it’s really straight forward.

• 1 month later...

Tried it in VR last night after having some time away. It Seemed to work perfectly with everything looking good and crisp.

Controllers felt a bit clunky so may take a bit of getting used to. Will need to try and figure out how to use all the additional tools like navigraph, but so far it’s looking like a game changer.

• 1 month later...

This is finally available on the cloud for those on console who don't have the HD space. Been looking forward to trying it out not played one of these for maybe 15 years back when I had a really good pc gaming set up (for the time). Went for a free roam option thought take off from Leicester Airport see if I can find a few landmarks see what the quality is like. 3 attempts, made it to 500 feet once, spiralled in to the ground all 3 times. Any tips appreciated lol

• Thanks 1

Did the first 2 lots of basic training and it's actually quite simple with all the assists on, I was just being too impatient with my inputs like turning and throttle.

Took off at Leicester, went and saw the KP then flew to my house in Notts and flew over it and had an amble around the Trent.

Then took a big plane right by the everest peak, had a look at the pyramids and flew through Central London along the Thames.

It's incredibly impressive and glad I've had a look but not got the time to do a long haul commercial flight anytime soon. Not sure how long it will keep my attention but still very impressed. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Did the first 2 lots of basic training and it's actually quite simple with all the assists on, I was just being too impatient with my inputs like turning and throttle.

Took off at Leicester, went and saw the KP then flew to my house in Notts and flew over it and had an amble around the Trent.

Then took a big plane right by the everest peak, had a look at the pyramids and flew through Central London along the Thames.

It's incredibly impressive and glad I've had a look but not got the time to do a long haul commercial flight anytime soon. Not sure how long it will keep my attention but still very impressed. 

Which planes did you try? I’d definitely recommend something like the Cessna 172 to start with, which I’m guessing you would’ve used to do the training sessions with.

Long haul flights are probably more worthwhile with using vatsim which is an online atc service. I’m not brave enough to try it just yet :ph34r:

On 08/03/2022 at 17:37, Trumpet said:

Which planes did you try? I’d definitely recommend something like the Cessna 172 to start with, which I’m guessing you would’ve used to do the training sessions with.

Long haul flights are probably more worthwhile with using vatsim which is an online atc service. I’m not brave enough to try it just yet :ph34r:

Not sure if it's the 172 but I'm in a Cessna, currently flying from Leicester to Norway, been going over the sea for around an hour now I dunno what the appeal is really but I'm somehow enjoying it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Not sure if it's the 172 but I'm in a Cessna, currently flying from Leicester to Norway, been going over the sea for around an hour now I dunno what the appeal is really but I'm somehow enjoying it. 

I did a similar flight last year from Leicester, up towards Aberdeen and out over to Bergen. I think the appeal for me is I’ve always enjoyed games with high realism and flight simulators give me that. Oh and I love aviation of course :D

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

PMDG released their 737-700 last night. I think it’s just for PC at the moment, but it’s potentially a game changer. Should see loads of good quality additions over the next year or so!

The 737 is favourite plane on flight simulators & MSFS is my favourite Flight Sim.

To have my favourite plane combined with my favourite sim is great. 

PMDG are very good so I have no doubt the 737 will be a game changer.

Shame il barely be able to get the engines started before having to change my babies nappy!!

1 hour ago, adejo92 said:

The 737 is favourite plane on flight simulators & MSFS is my favourite Flight Sim.

To have my favourite plane combined with my favourite sim is great. 

PMDG are very good so I have no doubt the 737 will be a game changer.

Shame il barely be able to get the engines started before having to change my babies nappy!!

Congratulations! Similar situation here. Ours has just gone through a period of not wanting to sleep when put down at night, but seems to be through it now which should mean plenty of flying hours after 8pm :D

3 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Thanks for sharing about the PMDG release. Their 777 was my goto on P3D and needed one of their products on MSFS. 

They’re going to release more variants for the 737 in the coming months and then they’re on to the 777 and 747.

The 737-700 is as good as you’d expect from PMDG.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to setting my FMC up on an iPad and it makes it much easier.

Recent landing at EHAM - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1487514373

The horn sound I realised afterwards was to do with the landing gear not being down under a certain speed. Lost the glide slope too, but had a tailwind that I wasn’t expecting. 

0705B3F6-85E4-4DFB-AFD5-8450293A4D2C.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been blown away with VR this week. Spent a few nights messing around with my settings but I’ve finally got it crisp, high settings and locked at 35fps in the PMDG 737. I can’t describe how good it is. Even seems to help my landings given that I feel as though I’m in the cockpit and have much more positional awareness.

If you’ve got a setup capable of running this in VR and are on the fence - do it!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

It's been a while! Had a few hours to do some circuits at East Midlands in the 737-8. Entirely manual all the way round, but a really good way to get a feel for the pitch, thrust etc.

Few videos incoming of two of tonight's landings!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

hmmm - not sure what I think about this. On the one hand it looks amazing and expands the Flight Sim experience in a number of ways - looks like you can be an air taxi, firefighter, rescue pilot etc. On the other hand it appears to be a new game and therefore no doubt at a hefty price not long after the most recent version was released.

Probably still buy it though!