Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Flight Sims

Never wanted a sim as much as this so am biting the bullet and actually going to make some calls and see about getting a PC built for the game and finally put the credit card to use on a Honeycomb yoke and throttle set.

Does anybody run all the settings on ultra? 

Im an absolute daydreamer and can see me running up hours just cruising around the world having a gander at all the places id love to see.

25 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Never wanted a sim as much as this so am biting the bullet and actually going to make some calls and see about getting a PC built for the game and finally put the credit card to use on a Honeycomb yoke and throttle set.

Does anybody run all the settings on ultra? 

Im an absolute daydreamer and can see me running up hours just cruising around the world having a gander at all the places id love to see.

I'm seriously considering a big upgrade for this. I see quite a few custom build sites who will build a decent spec PC. 

No idea where to start though spec wise!

maybe something like this:

https://www.chillblast.com/chillblast-fusion-gtx-1660-custom-sim-pc-blue-bundle.html?category_id=672

This Chillblast bundle has been designed in conjunction with the RAF Air Cadets to deliver exceptional performance in flight simulation software including P3D, X-Plane and Aerofly FS2. It will also deliver competent performance in VBS3 and other professional grade simulation software. Included in this bundle is the PC itself, a 24" monitor, a quality keyboard and mouse and a very rugged Logitech Joystick.

Note: This PC is built to order with the current lead time being approximately 3 -3.5 weeks. Please don't hesitate to contact Customer Service Team to ask for a more accurate delivery info.

Standard parts list:

Case: Corsair Carbide SPEC-06 TG RGB Case - Black
Processor: Intel Core i5-9400F Coffee Lake CPU, 6 Cores / 6 Threads, 2.9 - 4.1GHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB Graphics Card
Motherboard: Asus TUF B360M-E GAMING Motherboard
Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory (2 x 8 GB Sticks)
CPU Cooler: Chillblast Centurion Direct Contact CPU Cooler
Os Drive: 250GB Seagate BarraCuda 510 M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive

Storage: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda 7200RPM Hard Disk
Power Supply: Corsair TX650M 80 PLUS Gold 650W Modular PSU
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Warranty: 5 Year Warranty, 2 Years Collect and Return UK only*

Peripherals:

TT E-Sports Challenger RGB Gaming Keyboard and Mouse
24" Asus VS247HR Full HD Home / Office Monitor
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Precision Joystick

Edited by stripeyfox
  • Like 1

At the moment the difference between my GPU and a top GPU, when running on Ultra at 1080 is about 10fps. I’ve got a 2060 6gb which I think retails at around £300. The 2080ti retails at around £1300. That’s £100 per extra frame or there abouts. Of course, other factors need to be considered, like CPU and ram but when running the game in dev mode and viewing the numbers, it’s the GPU that has the hardest time.

My advice for anyone building a new system is to buy a modest GPU with the view to upgrade once the 3000 series is released which is rumoured in the next few weeks. My advice for anyone looking to upgrade what they have, who can currently run the sim at around 40fps would be to hold fire. I was so close to buying a 2070 super a few weeks before this got released but I’m so happy I didn’t. I reckon the setup I have now should be good for at least the next 6 months before all the resource hungry payware comes out. Hopefully by then the new nvidia cards are out and the markets settled. 

• Like 1

Also I can’t recommend scan overclocked bundles enough. They ship a motherboard, cpu, fan / cooler and ram pre built and overclocked. You just have to screw it into the case. You get a guarantee and support with the overclock too, which is useful as if you overclock it yourself and get it wrong you’re buying new hardware!

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-z490-rgb-overclocked-bundle-intelcore-i7-10700k-asus-rog-strix-z490-f-16gb-ddr4-corsair-h100i-rg?gclid=Cj0KCQjw7ZL6BRCmARIsAH6XFDK4T5pHJZSpHjh8G3JfFi7crhXBORfZWhm6W8GlGAryoBysJaRh4T0aAjGcEALw_wcB

Edited by Wet Trump
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Wet Trump said:

Also I can’t recommend scan overclocked bundles enough. They ship a motherboard, cpu, fan / cooler and ram pre built and overclocked. You just have to screw it into the case. You get a guarantee and support with the overclock too, which is useful as if you overclock it yourself and get it wrong you’re buying new hardware!

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-z490-rgb-overclocked-bundle-intelcore-i7-10700k-asus-rog-strix-z490-f-16gb-ddr4-corsair-h100i-rg?gclid=Cj0KCQjw7ZL6BRCmARIsAH6XFDK4T5pHJZSpHjh8G3JfFi7crhXBORfZWhm6W8GlGAryoBysJaRh4T0aAjGcEALw_wcB

this is probably beyond my technical abilities....

59 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

this is probably beyond my technical abilities....

I just about managed it and I’m useless with the hardware side of computing. Not sure if it’d be possible, but I reckon for a small fee a local computing repairs shop would get it done for you.

I agree with other comments and would  certainly seek the opinions of members on here before pressing purchase.

Flight Simulator differs from high end 'games' that mainly require a top GPU, such as a 2080TI. 

What I mean by that is, Flight Simulator is quite intensive on the CPU aswell and I am informed that the number of threads and cores from the CPU heavily effect performance.

You will also want atleast 32gb Ram.

The best possible set up you could get would be an i9-10900k and a 2080TI with 64GB Ram. That's a very expensive and unnecessary rig though for Flight Sim.

I have a i7-6700k, 1080 GPU and 32gb. I run almost all settings on Ultra with some unnecessary ones tweaked down which I dont even notice.

I would aim for something similar but probably go to the 1080TI and maybe a slightly better CPU too. I couldn't go to a better CPU myself as it would mean I would also need to upgrade my mother board.

Its a bit of a mine field but you really don't need a mega expensive set up to be able to enjoy this game at High - Ultra settings.

Spend your money wisely and post any options you are considering on here so we can all help out.

:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

@stripeyfox what is the cost of that setup? 

I build PCs regularly so should be able to give you a good idea of value for money and if it could be built cheaper / have better components for the money. 

The bundle is listed at £1139 including monitor, joystick, keyboard etc

I have no idea if that represents decent value or not but that's probably about my full budget

image.png.ac4879d5336f109688eee313ccdf54f1.png

5 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Case: Corsair Carbide SPEC-06 TG RGB Case - Black £90
Processor: Intel Core i5-9400F Coffee Lake CPU, 6 Cores / 6 Threads, 2.9 - 4.1GHz £125 
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB Graphics Card £220 
Motherboard: Asus TUF B360M-E GAMING Motherboard £140
Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory (2 x 8 GB Sticks) £70
CPU Cooler: Chillblast Centurion Direct Contact CPU Cooler ???
Os Drive: 250GB Seagate BarraCuda 510 M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive £90

Storage: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda 7200RPM Hard Disk £60
Power Supply: Corsair TX650M 80 PLUS Gold 650W Modular PSU £80
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit £110
Warranty: 5 Year Warranty, 2 Years Collect and Return UK only*

Peripherals:

TT E-Sports Challenger RGB Gaming Keyboard and Mouse £21
24" Asus VS247HR Full HD Home / Office Monitor £105
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Precision Joystick £40

Well, I've done some research and tbh if you bought the parts it wouldn't be far off that. I don't know what RAM they will use - I assume it might not be high-end or they would have listed the brand. I allowed £70 as I picked up 2 x 8gb sticks of Corsair RAM for that recently. Windows 10 can be free if you use a hooky version so that knocks about £110 off. I can't find any details about that CPU cooler - **** knows what that is. A decent CPU cooler is about £60 so that'd go up a bit. I'd probably sack off the 2TB HDD and look at putting in a 500gb SSD to store games on. The 250gb SSD included will be needed for Windows install and other software so I'd have a dedicated SSD for games - as MSFS is 100gb on it's own. I have a GTX 1660ti which is similar to the super (maybe a bit more powerful) and it handles MSFS fine - I get about 50fps most of the time in medium / high settings. The monitor is OK but you might want something a bit bigger to really enjoy the views. Long story short - it's not BAD but I think you can do a little bit better for the money. I'll have a look about and see if I can find something.  

You'll probably get more bang for buck going with an AMD processor over intel these days. 

Also, no mention of case fans in there, and I'd always look to have a decent airflow setup to increase longevity and stop CPU and GPU reaching max temps in summer.

Edited by lifted*fox
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

Well, I've done some research and tbh if you bought the parts it wouldn't be far off that. I don't know what RAM they will use - I assume it might not be high-end or they would have listed the brand. I allowed £70 as I picked up 2 x 8gb sticks of Corsair RAM for that recently. Windows 10 can be free if you use a hooky version so that knocks about £110 off. I can't find any details about that CPU cooler - **** knows what that is. A decent CPU cooler is about £60 so that'd go up a bit. I'd probably sack off the 2TB HDD and look at putting in a 500gb SSD to store games on. The 250gb SSD included will be needed for Windows install and other software so I'd have a dedicated SSD for games - as MSFS is 100gb on it's own. I have a GTX 1660ti which is similar to the super (maybe a bit more powerful) and it handles MSFS fine - I get about 50fps most of the time in medium / high settings. The monitor is OK but you might want something a bit bigger to really enjoy the views. Long story short - it's not BAD but I think you can do a little bit better for the money. I'll have a look about and see if I can find something.  

You'll probably get more bang for buck going with an AMD processor over intel these days. 

Also, no mention of case fans in there, and I'd always look to have a decent airflow setup to increase longevity and stop CPU and GPU reaching max temps in summer.

Thanks mate. I'm really not confident to build my own and I accept that I'm probably going to have to pay a premium for a custom built model but that's ok. I tried building a PC years ago and it was a flipping disaster, and even when it worked, it didn't work very well.

I'm not quite ready to buy yet anyway so I've got time to shop around. If you or @adejo92 or @Wet Trump or any of the other FS enthusiasts see a decent PC for sale capable of handling FS at a decent lick then let me know please!

• Like 3

On 25/08/2020 at 15:36, stripeyfox said:

Thanks mate. I'm really not confident to build my own and I accept that I'm probably going to have to pay a premium for a custom built model but that's ok. I tried building a PC years ago and it was a flipping disaster, and even when it worked, it didn't work very well.

I'm not quite ready to buy yet anyway so I've got time to shop around. If you or @adejo92 or @Wet Trump or any of the other FS enthusiasts see a decent PC for sale capable of handling FS at a decent lick then let me know please!

in that case i would get a private builder to build it, buying off the shellf usually represents poor value for money. if you go to your loca lPC shop and ask them, im sure theey will order the parts you ask for and put it togethher for you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've changed the approach of my European tour today. I had been using the 172 with G1000 equipped, however it has started to feel a bit repetitive as I've been entering the flight plan, with the G1000 then doing most of the work. I've decided to go a bit old school by dropping into the basic 172 and going VOR to VOR.

Currently enroute to Gothenburg from Stockholm.

image.thumb.png.e9639821843a4e1a84b21fc06827efbc.png

Edited by Trumpet
  • Like 2

Mentioned a few weeks ago that anyone thinking of a new gpu should hold off for Nvidia’s upcoming release... they’ve just announced the 3080 which is out in a couple of weeks will be around $700 and deliver twice the performance of the 2080ti which currently retails at (I think) £1200. Seriously impressive and just what this simulator needs!

@Trumpet The Journey is looking great, how are you finding it?

Have you managed to pick up many land marks during your various legs? Any where in particular you would recommend exploring thus far?

As for the 3080 - That's exciting news but perhaps not for the wallet as when i do upgrade, i would be upgrading my whole system.

Edited by adejo92

11 hours ago, adejo92 said:

@Trumpet The Journey is looking great, how are you finding it?

Have you managed to pick up many land marks during your various legs? Any where in particular you would recommend exploring thus far?

As for the 3080 - That's exciting news but perhaps not for the wallet as when i do upgrade, i would be upgrading my whole system.

Thanks! Really enjoying it so far, it’s good to go back to a single prop and attempt navigation with the radios. 

In terms of what I’ve seen so far - not a great deal. However on the latest leg I flew into Copenhagen which is one of the photo real cities mentioned in the list above. The difference between this and the more generic cities was pretty big. The only landmark seen so far was a castle on the way in to Copenhagen. I’m thinking of factoring more landmarks into my flight plan in the future.

Next stop Riga!