Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Flight Sims

1 hour ago, Leeds Fox said:

What is the appeal of playing a Flight Sim? 

Is it interactive for the full duration of the flight? 

Genuine questions, I’ve never played one but have always wondered what the draw to them is. 

If you're flying smaller aircraft it can be interactive for the whole flight. Flying closer to the ground, seeing the sights. 

Bigger aircraft are generally autopilot once in the air but then you can just kick back and chill, listen to some music, watch the clouds go by.

For me it ticks the boxes of aircraft enthusiasts and daydreamers. I'd say I'm probably 25% the first and 75% the latter. I've always been interested / in awe of flight / flying and I'm constantly travelling / wanting to travel so this game ticks the second box nicely - especially as we're all stuck at home now. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

If you're flying smaller aircraft it can be interactive for the whole flight. Flying closer to the ground, seeing the sights. 

Bigger aircraft are generally autopilot once in the air but then you can just kick back and chill, listen to some music, watch the clouds go by.

For me it ticks the boxes of aircraft enthusiasts and daydreamers. I'd say I'm probably 25% the first and 75% the latter. I've always been interested / in awe of flight / flying and I'm constantly travelling / wanting to travel so this game ticks the second box nicely - especially as we're all stuck at home now. 

@Leeds Fox

I agree with this answer,  I think for people who don't have an interest, It can be quite hard to understand why someone would want to just watch a plane fly itself, a lot of my friends feel that way.

The smaller planes are very interactive and you can explore the whole world. The larger planes mean that the only fun and interactive parts are generally take off and landing.

Most people could pick up Fifa and have fun, these are a lot more individual and Niche.

I feel there's also a sense of pride that you can learn and successfully fly an aircraft that resembles the real thing, with all the real controls in the real places as a genuine aircraft. This isn't the case so much with Flight Simulator as a lot of the controls are inactive at this early stage however for things like the Zibo Boeing 737 in XPlane, it was as real as it gets.

Edited by adejo92
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

@Leeds Fox

I agree with this answer,  I think for people who don't have an interest, It can be quite hard to understand why someone would want to just watch a plane fly itself, a lot of my friends feel that way.

The smaller planes are very interactive and you can explore the whole world. The larger planes mean that the only fun and interactive parts are generally take off and landing.

Most people could pick up Fifa and have fun, these are a lot more individual and Niche.

I feel there's also a sense of pride that you can learn and successfully fly an aircraft that resembles the real thing, with all the real controls in the real places as a genuine aircraft. This isn't the case so much with Flight Simulator as a lot of the controls are inactive at this early stage however for things like the Zibo Boeing 737 in XPlane, it was as real as it gets.

Thank you. 

I’ve never really been a gamer of any kind. I can’t commit enough time to get embroiled in a game such as Football Manager or FIFA UT to make it worthwhile so I’ve never bothered. 

I suppose it’s realistically the closest you can get to the real thing, unlike FIFA (football) etc. 

The main curiosity I had was regarding pretty much watching the plane fly from A to B. I don’t think I’d have the patience to sit and do it, so I wondered what attracted others to do so. 

For what it’s worth, I work around planes and a couple of my friends have PPL/ITPL  and they said that (except for the risk of actually flying) it’s very similar. 

2 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Thank you. 

I’ve never really been a gamer of any kind. I can’t commit enough time to get embroiled in a game such as Football Manager or FIFA UT to make it worthwhile so I’ve never bothered. 

I suppose it’s realistically the closest you can get to the real thing, unlike FIFA (football) etc. 

The main curiosity I had was regarding pretty much watching the plane fly from A to B. I don’t think I’d have the patience to sit and do it, so I wondered what attracted others to do so. 

For what it’s worth, I work around planes and a couple of my friends have PPL/ITPL  and they said that (except for the risk of actually flying) it’s very similar. 

For me it’s an opportunity to do something relatively cheaply and realistically, that would otherwise cost tens of thousands of pounds.

In terms of going from A to B, for myself at the moment I’m mostly flying in a Cessna 172 and where I do have a departure and arrival, between those points I’ll tune my radios and intercept VOR waypoints along the way so I’m always busy with something. 

As others have mentioned, it can be quite relaxing and also not as hands on as playing games of FIFA. I tend to potter about the house and get stuff done, whilst just keeping an eye on what’s going on in the sim.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Hoping the Xbox version is as good as the PC one. Also hoping they release thrust levers and yokes!

Yeah although i can't see it myself. Perhaps as a base game it would be comparable however eventually this Sim will be a completely different game once the Modders have had chance to release extra aircraft, scenery etc.

I think on Xbox, you would be limited to the in game Market Place.

1 minute ago, adejo92 said:

Yeah although i can't see it myself. Perhaps as a base game it would be comparable however eventually this Sim will be a completely different game once the Modders have had chance to release extra aircraft, scenery etc.

I think on Xbox, you would be limited to the in game Market Place.

I think you’re right. I downloaded and installed a modded version of Birmingham yesterday, where missing monuments and buildings were ripped from Google maps. It was just a case of dropping into the MSFS local Community folder. I’m not sure that’d be possible with an Xbox.

3 hours ago, Trumpet said:

I think you’re right. I downloaded and installed a modded version of Birmingham yesterday, where missing monuments and buildings were ripped from Google maps. It was just a case of dropping into the MSFS local Community folder. I’m not sure that’d be possible with an Xbox.

Definitely not.

If you didn't know otherwise, you would be more than happy with the standard game on Xbox.

But, I couldn't imagine playing the base game of Xplane 11 having played with the Zibo mod and other additional content.

Side note, does that Birmingham add on improve the airport too or just city?

41 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

Definitely not.

If you didn't know otherwise, you would be more than happy with the standard game on Xbox.

But, I couldn't imagine playing the base game of Xplane 11 having played with the Zibo mod and other additional content.

Side note, does that Birmingham add on improve the airport too or just city?

I downloaded 3 files, Aston, Birmingham and Birmingham airport. I dropped in directly over Birmingham and it was pretty impressive, although did take a decent FPS hit. Didn’t check the airport, but I think it does. Will check in a mo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

I downloaded 3 files, Aston, Birmingham and Birmingham airport. I dropped in directly over Birmingham and it was pretty impressive, although did take a decent FPS hit. Didn’t check the airport, but I think it does. Will check in a mo.

Ah nice one. Where do you download them from? I saw a Youtube of somebody placing Villa Park in to the game and it looks brilliant compared to the standard buildings. Would be great if someone did a Premier League stadium package!

12 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

Ah nice one. Where do you download them from? I saw a Youtube of somebody placing Villa Park in to the game and it looks brilliant compared to the standard buildings. Would be great if someone did a Premier League stadium package!

The reddit thread is https://www.reddit.com/r/FS2020Creation/

And they've got a really handy map that shows you and links you to all the stuff that's been done so far. It appears to have had loads added in the last 24 hours, including the King Power!

• Like 1

On 05/09/2020 at 12:39, Trumpet said:

For anyone thinking of an upgrade or building a PC for this, if I manage to get hold of a 3080 I’ll have my old 2060 year o sell. I’ll probably let it go for £100.

hit me up when that happens fella please. 

I'll be getting a 3070 probably but the 2060 will do nicely in a second PC for streaming. 

Edited by lifted*fox
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

only about 20 so far I think! I'm kinda waiting for the next patch and then I'll get stuck in some more.

can't pull myself away from CoD at the moment 

Recently picked up COD again too. 

From what I’ve seen, the update at the end of this month should address a fair few issues, a big one for me is anywhere outside of the U.K. there doesn’t seem to be live weather, it at least not any live winds. I get 220 @ 3 in most places so far.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

@Trumpet did you get your GPU mate? flew off the shelves to bots ffs 

I thought I did, but it looks like Scan decided to show them as in stock to bait people in to joining a pre orders queue. I wouldn’t have minded being on a pre orders list of that was clear beforehand. If it doesn’t arrive this week I’ll probably just look to get a refund.

• 4 weeks later...

how is it going for @adejo92, @lifted*fox, @Trumpet and others who brought it?

I've still not gotten round to ordering a new PC (had quite a lot going on). Me and the missus are seperating and I will soon be moving on to my own place and therefore the decision to spend £1000 on a new PC is somewhat easier to justify!