Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Flight Sims

Racking up some serious nerd points here, but is anyone else an enthusiast?

I had a crack at MS Flight Simulator 2004 a long while back, then used FlightGear for a while (not bad for free open-source ware) but recently I've bought X-Plane 11 and it is so damn good I'm going to at the least get a quality joystick to use for it and I'm actually considering saving up to study for a private pilots licence when I have the chance - or at the very least pay for some "experience" flights to see if it something I'd like to get into more (something I've mulled over for a while tbh).

So, does anyone else indulge, and what software/hardware do you use?

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I am an aviation fan but haven't had a sim since Flight Sim 2004.

I think if I had time and more space I'd go for it.

Yeah, the time is a big factor - you need at least a couple of hours for a session if you're going to plan and do even a short flight. 

Space isn't a massive thing IMO - you don't need some all-singing all dancing setup, right now I'm using X-Plane 11 using just a PS3 controller and a laptop and it works fine.

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, the time is a big factor - you need at least a couple of hours for a session if you're going to plan and do even a short flight. 

Space isn't a massive thing IMO - you don't need some all-singing all dancing setup, right now I'm using X-Plane 11 using just a PS3 controller and a laptop and it works fine.

What's it like graphically ?

7 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

What's it like graphically ?

As long as your PC is reasonably decent with a graphics card then the outside looks splendid for the most part, interior views (instruments etc) are great even if you don't have a brilliant graphics card.

It's the flight model that does it for me tbh, it's not a totally real deal when it comes to flight dynamics but it's the closest thing yet, there's a reason lots of aviation organisations use it as their training sim model.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just started to get back into flight simming and opted for X-Plane 11 and so far it’s streets ahead of FSX. Particularly impressed with the ability to download HD mesh and apply photo real textures easily and more importantly free!

Thought I’d share a clip I made yesterday (should demonstrate the scenery nicely): 

• Like 2

On 26/09/2019 at 01:34, Wet Trump said:

Just started to get back into flight simming and opted for X-Plane 11 and so far it’s streets ahead of FSX. Particularly impressed with the ability to download HD mesh and apply photo real textures easily and more importantly free!

Thought I’d share a clip I made yesterday (should demonstrate the scenery nicely): 

To be honest that landing was better than most RyanAir pilots do for real. Nice work. That's the ZIBO 737-800, right?

On 26/09/2019 at 02:20, Wet Trump said:

Leicester ^

Watermead / Birstall ^

King Power / Braunstone Park ^

Bloody hell, what texture pack did you use and how high-end is your performance to get this? Impressive!

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Middling - Intel i7 with a GeForce 960 and 8GB RAM - allows for decent textures but not bleeding edge. Might be getting a better machine soonish that would help there, though.

Yeah I might upgrade soon. Definitely need a new board.

i like the idea of flight sims more than flight sims themselves, i find them so ****ing boring lol. also, a pain in the arse to learn all the controls and buttons. maybe one ay ill bother with it, i enjoy watching people play xplane and DCS on twitch, but for me, i prefer to play "simpler" sims, like Train simulator and cold waters, and well as iracing

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

To be honest that landing was better than most RyanAir pilots do for real. Nice work. That's the ZIBO 737-800, right?

Bloody hell, what texture pack did you use and how high-end is your performance to get this? Impressive!

Thanks! That's right, the ZIBO 737-800, brilliant bit of kit.

I'm running an i5 9600k which arrived pre-overclocked @3.7ghz, 16GB of RAM and a Nvidia geforce RTX 2060.

Not the most powerful, the photoreal scenery, mesh and overlays placed over the top really doesn't hit my frames as much as i'd expected but it transforms the game massively!

Edited by Wet Trump

I'm a huge fan of flight simulators and spend many an hour on Xplane 11.

Currently using i5 processor with GTX 1080 graphics card and 32gb Ram. Works well on good settings but looking to upgrade processor to push it up a level. 

Went extra geek and bought myself a proper flight simulator joy stick with thurst levers! 

I did get to a point where I could make my own liveries for the Zibo mod 737-800 but have long forgotten now! Here's a Thomas Cook one I made in April and uploaded to Xplane.org.

Screen shots taken from my set up.

Really love the Ground Handling Deluxe pack you can see in the images. Adds that realism. Untitled-1.jpg.a655983ab3322a8fdd0c10e61de097b7.thumb.jpg.4f8daf60627f92642c054853496dabb8.jpgunt2.jpg.602f60389fff8ff09fca8acba798c9ec.thumb.jpg.5ab96930a8ec7882266f513c8c5067f2.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jattdogg said:

I’ve had previous versions of FS and have been using XP11 over the last few months, but the new FS looks something else. Really can’t wait!

There’s a fair few YouTube videos of people that have been given access to it that are reviewing it. It really does look like everything flight simmers have been waiting for.