Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
koop.

After Life - Ricky Gervais

On 12/03/2019 at 09:24, Benguin said:

Thought it was excellent. Very accurate portrayal of grief and a bit of comedy.

On 15/03/2019 at 20:55, Babylon said:

There were so many little bits in it, one that struck me was when he was on the bench talking to the lady who'd lost her husband. She tells him something like it's not just about you, there are people in your world whose lives you can make better even if you're in a bad place yourself. So he ends up doing nice little things for people, when he sees that most have their own problems of some sort. (Marriage trouble, unhappy child, lonely woman in the office).

He sees that people who we'd normally consider the "dregs" of society are still people and can be nice people, who found themselves in a bad situation and that they aren't so dissimilar from him, perhaps just a few steps further down the line. It was such a basic and obvious thing to say, but we're all so consumed in our own lives we don't see others being sad or having problems and we're so judgemental. 

It certainly made me feel differently, the next day I took my mum some flowers and bought a big issue from someone in town. Little things can make a big difference to people and I hope I can keep thinking like long after watching it. 

29 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Funny and  poignant this really is a fantastic show, watched the first 4 episodes straight through, it’s a great watch for various reasons 

Pretty much how I feel about it after binging it yesterday. 

Even though it was poignant it still didn't feel too heavy, perhaps the balance was met with the dry humour that was in all the episodes. It did get more serious towards the end but as Babylon said, it's cleverly written to make you think about other people's problems, not just that you have your own even though the problem you do have may seem like the only important one at the time. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Where does the paedo bit that's been moistening the internet's gif makers rank in the series as a whole?  Because honestly I didn't find it that funny when I watched the advert, let alone the million times various websites have shoved it at me since 

• Like 1

I binged the whole thing last night and was a bit disappointed but I probably had quite high expectations going in.

There were some hilarious bits in it and it was poignant but I felt there was too much Gervais.

It was really quite predictable and bit repetitive, his character seemed to be exactly the same for about 5 episodes and then suddenly decided to change at the flip of a switch. I thought it was lacking a bit of depth to be honest.

36 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

I binged the whole thing last night and was a bit disappointed but I probably had quite high expectations going in.

There were some hilarious bits in it and it was poignant but I felt there was too much Gervais.

It was really quite predictable and bit repetitive, his character seemed to be exactly the same for about 5 episodes and then suddenly decided to change at the flip of a switch. I thought it was lacking a bit of depth to be honest.

Basically my thoughts as well. Didn't dislike it but I'm not gonna go back and rewatch it.

I don't watch much tv - I Watched this over a couple of evenings and found it a bit underwhelming, tbh.

Ok-ish but I thought it was a bit thin and obvious. I was waiting for some twist or epiphany and it never really came. I though the woman on the bench might have been a ghost or something - or the whole thing was some kind of dream/purgatory after he'd topped himself,   

Also every character had his voice which seemed a bit  unnecessary.