Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
koop.

After Life - Ricky Gervais

I binge-watched this because of positive comments on here and have to say that I was disappointed.

I loved Gervais in The Office but this really exposed his limitations as an actor. He should stick to writing, imo.

• Like 1

I think it started well but my god is it a load of soppy bollocks by the end like, since his split from merchant you can really tell his limitations as a writer, think I preferred it to Derek though. Like the fat lad who looked like a thumb he was quite funny at least

Also can he do anything without having to bang on about being an atheist? I couldn't care less like, why does he have to work it into everything he does 

Edited by The Horse's Mouth

4 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I think it started well but my god is it a load of soppy bollocks by the end like, since his split from merchant you can really tell his limitations as a writer, think I preferred it to Derek though. Like the fat lad who looked like a thumb he was quite funny at least

Also can he do anything without having to bang on about being an atheist? I couldn't care less like, why does he have to work it into everything he does 

Ive only seen ep 1 so i cant judge, but given its a show called "After life" and is about death and loss etc... i guess the atheist thing plays a big part?

It was good, enjoyed it but I think some of the praise as been a bit over the top. Maybe my expectations were raised too high given the positive reviews. Some real funny moments and its heartwarming at times. Glad it was only 6 short episodes so I could binge it in one night because I'm not sure I would have gone back to finish it off. 

Edited by RowlattsFox

43 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

It was good, enjoyed it but I think some of the praise as been a bit over the top. Maybe my expectations were raised too high given the positive reviews. Some real funny moments and its heartwarming at times. Glad it was only 6 short episodes so I could binge it in one night because I'm not sure I would have gone back to finish it off. 

Same for me. I liked it, eventually. I didn't really "get" the character being a complete arsehole to everyone,  but it sort of came together at the end.

It was good - I enjoyed it - but I don't think I quite go along with the gushing praise for it.

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

I think it was entertaining, but also enough in it to make people think about themselves and others and ways they don't usually. So I think that's why it's getting the reaction, as that's pretty rare these days.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I get the impression he quite likes animals too :whistle:

17 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I think he is just padding it with stuff from his stand up routine.  In fact there is quite a bit or regurgitation - care home, office settings, recycled cast members from Derek and Extras, but nonetheless I loved it.  The breast milk rice pudding gag scene had me snorting my tea up my nose!

I get the impression that the character is a bit of an extreme example of Gervais himself.  A bit of a misanthrope but without the grief.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, murphy said:

I think he is just padding it with stuff from his stand up routine.  In fact there is quite a bit or regurgitation - care home, office settings, recycled cast members from Derek and Extras, but nonetheless I loved it.  The breast milk rice pudding gag scene had me snorting my tea up my nose!

I get the impression that the character is a bit of an extreme example of Gervais himself.  A bit of a misanthrope but without the grief.

I agree with the latter bit, at times I kept forgetting the characters name because it basically is Gervais

• Like 3