Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
oxford blue

PFA young player of the year- too old?

Shortlist includes Sterling and Silva (both 24) as under 23 at start of season. (Others on list are Rashford, Brooks,Alexander-Arnold & Rice). The award would be beter if it was aimed at younger players -say under 21 or 20 at season start. It seems to me a pointless award if players like Sterling/Silva could win this. Rice would be my choice, only 20 and an outstanding season

• Like 2

I think Alexander-Arnold has been brilliant. Only 20 and has been part of a solid defence. Hopefully will be England's first choice right back for many years.

Agree 24 is too old. It should be up to 22 for me.

Sterling made his PL debut 7 years ago. He's got more PL experience than Wes Morgan ffs. 

For me, it should be renamed as the 'Rising Star' award and restricted to players under 22 and in the first 2/3 seasons since their debut. 

Sterling has had the best season out of that list, but Rice, Brooks and TAA all deserve the YPOTY award more.

• Like 1

Should be an appearance cap - or first two years of career with twenty plus appearances. 

How Chilwell given his rise and achievement isn’t on the list is baffling. He’s established himself as England’s first choice left back within a year. It’s a bigger rise than Rice. 

No Wan-Bissaka either 

On 22/04/2019 at 19:05, oxford blue said:

Shortlist includes Sterling and Silva (both 24) as under 23 at start of season. (Others on list are Rashford, Brooks,Alexander-Arnold & Rice). The award would be beter if it was aimed at younger players -say under 21 or 20 at season start. It seems to me a pointless award if players like Sterling/Silva could win this. Rice would be my choice, only 20 and an outstanding season

Agreed. just for some perspective by the time Wayne Rooney was 24, he had over 300 appearances and over 100 goals in all competitions for United and everton. He had won 7 major titles including the champions League and the premier League.

Oh and he had nearly 50 England caps and nearly 20 goals for his country.

Some "young" player that.