Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stadt

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

Yet to play my copy of this, haven't properly played any CoD games since ironically the original Modern Warfare (think it was the first one, might have been 2, whichever one had the famous airport mission in it) over a decade ago now and even then that was mostly dicking about in local mp or taking turns on my mate's PS3.  Honestly I haven't been keen on online FPS games since I stopped playing CS:S (yes I'm old), I'm pretty exclusively into my RPGs these days but I do wanna give this one a go.  Any pro gamer tips I should bear in mind when I finally fire it up?

Upgraded my PC to be able to play this - actually PC was due for an upgrade, and I thought I'd do it for the release date. Bought a few bits including a new graphics card, which came with a free access code for COD :scarf:

But it still crashes :angry:  

Could've bought a PS4 and an XBox One with the money I spent on the upgrade bits!!  

Will have to tone down some of the settings, which is a shame. In between crashes it looks pretty decent, though...  

It's well frustrating. The time to kill is really low and that combined with massive maps lends itself to camping atm - hopefully like WWII it gets a big overhaul to inject a bit more life. In Team Deathmatch games it usually finishes due to the timer and not one team winning ffs.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Milo said:

Upgraded my PC to be able to play this - actually PC was due for an upgrade, and I thought I'd do it for the release date. Bought a few bits including a new graphics card, which came with a free access code for COD :scarf:

But it still crashes :angry:  

Could've bought a PS4 and an XBox One with the money I spent on the upgrade bits!!  

Will have to tone down some of the settings, which is a shame. In between crashes it looks pretty decent, though...  

Ooh do tell, one of the RTX 20 range I presume?

6 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Ooh do tell, one of the RTX 20 range I presume?

Indeed - 2060 Super. Probably should've gone 2080, but really couldn't justify the cost.

I'll have a tinker and see if I can get it firing - bit annoyed, though, tbh

Haven't tried it out on VR games yet...fingers crossed 

6 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

God dammit I've just gone to load this up having let it install the whole 120-odd gigabytes while I was out.  Cue a bonus 7.5g update.  :angry:  Already looking forward to uninstalling this beast to free up space for about 10 other games lol 

This. Just ordered a new ssd just for this game. ffs :doh:

7 hours ago, Milo said:

Indeed - 2060 Super. Probably should've gone 2080, but really couldn't justify the cost.

I have the same card, it's supposed to perform more or less at the level of a 2070 so any issues must be with the game because that card certainly shouldn't be crashing on you... I've not had any problems with mine yet, though the most taxing title I've run through it so far is Witcher 3 and that's what, 5 years old?  I'll let you know how it handles MW if I can find time for it later

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I have the same card, it's supposed to perform more or less at the level of a 2070 so any issues must be with the game because that card certainly shouldn't be crashing on you... I've not had any problems with mine yet, though the most taxing title I've run through it so far is Witcher 3 and that's what, 5 years old?  I'll let you know how it handles MW if I can find time for it later

Would appreciate that - I was surprised that it struggled. Only got 16gb of installed RAM, was wondering if I needed to up that? Again, should be enough, though. 

4 minutes ago, Milo said:

Would appreciate that - I was surprised that it struggled. Only got 16gb of installed RAM, was wondering if I needed to up that? Again, should be enough, though. 

For gaming 16gb is more than enough, you can always check how much RAM is in use on task manager though if you think it's part of the problem, I'd be surprised though.  Which processor are you running?

4 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

For gaming 16gb is more than enough, you can always check how much RAM is in use on task manager though if you think it's part of the problem, I'd be surprised though.  Which processor are you running?

i5 quad 3GHz..should also be enough. 

No other programs taxing the RAM or processor. 

Just tried a file repair via the battle.net site but it hasn’t helped. Managed about 5 minutes, flying a drone into a helicopter and it froze again. 

I’ll play with the frame rates :mellow:

13 hours ago, Milo said:

I’ve got the 2060 and I’m running at ultra and ray tracing on with no problems.

Do you get an error when it crashes?

I had a couple of crashes when I first started playing but only when I minimised the screen - turned out to be an issue when running the nvidia shadow play FPS counter, so I just disabled it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Milo said:

i5 quad 3GHz..should also be enough. 

No other programs taxing the RAM or processor. 

Just tried a file repair via the battle.net site but it hasn’t helped. Managed about 5 minutes, flying a drone into a helicopter and it froze again. 

I’ll play with the frame rates :mellow:

Yeah I'm afraid it must be a local issue, I've just given it a quick blast with everything on max and it ran at a steady 150+ frames.  The only issue I encountered is that apparently I really suck at online FPS games now.  Just keep running into shooting galleries like a witless moron lol  

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Yeah I'm afraid it must be a local issue, I've just given it a quick blast with everything on max and it ran at a steady 150+ frames.  The only issue I encountered is that apparently I really suck at online FPS games now.  Just keep running into shooting galleries like a witless moron lol  

Ah, bollocks.

Enjoy 

Just toned down a couple of settings (from 'ultra' to 'high') and it's fine. Not ideal, but still looks the business.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work is the audio sync for the cut scenes - I can live with that, though!

Just now, Milo said:

Just toned down a couple of settings (from 'ultra' to 'high') and it's fine. Not ideal, but still looks the business.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work is the audio sync for the cut scenes - I can live with that, though!

Ah ok just seen this.  Still wondering if it's a cooling issue if lower settings work.