Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OrdinaryJon

Filbert Street & nostalgia

18 minutes ago, Corky said:

I'm really glad we stayed close to Filbert St. The thought of trekking out to a soulless bowl on a laid-on bus near a motorway, probably in a retail park, is just depressing. The stadium may look bland but to still be able to walk the same way, past the same old buildings and houses, gives the impression that we didn't really leave, which is great.

Being fairly central which means even those living outside the city can get there via a single bus and short walk. Anywhere else like J21, Beaumont Leys or Glenfield all rumoured would like you suggest a nightmare. The number of cars descending on the are would be significantly more than now.

11 hours ago, Spudulike said:

There wasn't opposition from fans about Bede Island but there was from a vociferous protest group called 'Offside' made up of residents and an MP. It never received full planning consent as, if I recall correctly, the proposal was dropped when the City directors had disagreements with the property company 'Goldwing' and ultimately decided it was going to be too difficult to proceed on that site. During the following months many other locations were proposed including alongside the M1 not far from Fosse Park. That would have been a disaster in my opinion. The City Council were very keen for the club to remain within the city boundary due to the investment it brought and not long after the Freeman's Wharf site became available at a very good price. Powergen needed a buyer as permission had been refused for retail use. 

Great info Spudulike, I thought I could remember a protest about keeping City in the City? Something along those lines. I have no idea how much the Freemans Wharf site cost but I think we only paid under £25 million to Birse for the construction?

Edited by Jace

Loving this thread.Just to add that as I can remember there seemed to be an overwhelming positive feeling about the move.Helped by the fact that it was so close to dear old Filbo.Being able to see it go up also helped.Filbert Street had definitely lost it’s edge since it had become all seated.Maybe a sense that the move came two years too late was one downside.Add the fact that several short/cutbacks were made in the build because of our financial situation.On the whole though we were incredibly excited 

One disappointing aspect was knocking down the Carling Stand.Love the photos showing both grounds together from the air.That stand really was a thing of beauty.Probably just as good as Forests proposed new stand.Considering it would be nearly 30 years old.

Edited by Heathrow fox

1 minute ago, Heathrow fox said:

That’s actually my very first memory of a Leicester game.My Dad taking me through that turnstile.May have even got the tickets from that window on the left.

Those turnstiles were certainly a squeeze. 

Just watched the Leicester v Man Utd game, from the 1998/1999 season, via BT Sport.

Had a few goosebumps watching it, knowing that sort of scoreline wouldn't happen if both were playing today (2-6)..

Sounded like a great atmosphere at Filbert Street.

Not saying our support is in anyway like the awful Coventry fans, but you only have to look at how moving from a decent well liked ground to a souless stadium completely out the way can have a knock on effect into everything.

I actually think our ground initially looked really impressive and i loved it as a kid. But the countless amount of other clubs who also moved to similar designs made ours become another one of those "souless bowls".

But in the last 5 years we have transformed it into something unique. The atmosphere in the great escape season and title season gave it (sometimes maybe a bit too much) a great reputation. Combine that with the title and champions league football and its now seen more than Filbert Street ever did. 

Now for the statue and extra tier.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Work has started on digging up the land. A sad day.

It is but at least providing some use in the firm of housing is better than a derelict wasteland 

• 10 months later...
On 10/08/2019 at 21:17, Wymsey said:

Has anyone still got any 'treasures' of Filbert Street (such as seats, piece of turf etc)?

I have a piece of filbert street memorabilia took me ages to find out what I had as its rare and couldn't find another on foxes forums and the Internet its a rock carving of filbert street ground out of a piece of the demolished stadium awesome memories watching my first game as a kid on a Tuesday night in the league Cup 

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, rico said:

Fanzines from the 90s

wtm1.jpg

I bought a load of Fox fanzines at a car boot a few weeks ago to finish off my collection up to 2011. The older ones from the 90's are absolutely fascinating reading, though I think I've banged on about how important historical documents these fanzines are before.

This one though. Oh boy. They were selling the first 20 of Where's the Money Gone at the same stall and I snapped them up. It's fair to say this is VERY much of its time. I think I winced on most of the pages at something written. Definitely wouldn't survive being published in 2021, put it that way.

• Like 1