Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UpTheLeagueFox

ENGLAND: James Maddison named in squad

England squad selection......

Sonntags has had a decent start to bis tenure.Experteience players he has selected have done a Job for him....

So,Lingard IMO was always going to be chosen...

Posters complaining 'old school'...I dont see it that Way because  it isnt 'old school'....simples!!!

Stones is Not a write in....He has looked at Gomez & Maguire ,Hes brought in other seen new talent across the back...

The midfield , again a cross selection of experienced & new named potential talent...

The forward line young players,with only a few Caps ,or only 1-5 caps.Then Lingard & Kane Plus Sterling....!!

Southgate is Keeping it fresh,und following totally a different line,to past managers,hes daring to do what past fans cried out for.

The critic is way off line....in fact the negative fans bemoaning  & whining is the "only"  blind old school tradition that has stayed consistent...

After 65+ yrs I am more than happy,to See a new manager with a new group/commitees also with a fresh &  flexible approach behind him.

The banter, on any selection ,and ones own preferences, will feed and give ammo that will always Keep the pundits-panels, Pub Corner Tables , best Friend Arguments & now todays Social Media platforms,Rocking and ticking over.

But you cant  put Southgate or England on the 'old school' Block of Keeping to the players of only Top 6 teams,or Flavours clubs and they are all Muppets towards some stubborn platform conspiracy...

Hodgson,took out the old guard,and tried to get a new wave started,he IMO just didnt have confidence to follow it through,with his own new found talent & ideas After he got his teams to qualify for finals,he threw away his motivating tactics and dynamic frontfoot play from his new charges,und took a more cautious approach,with too much sideways ,and holding football....

Southgate Shoulder make the same mistake,you chose your international players for what they die vor their clubs,dont take away that confidence,by asking them

to hold their Skills back for the greater good.....!!!  Its been the cause of English failure for over 50yrs,Italy,Brazil,Germany, France etc,Coaches use most of their

players,by letting them Play like they do every weeks with just the slight tweek,or only 1 or 2 players taking in different Responsibility or Skill set,But not ripping up

all the  individual players Skills they built up with their club...

A Defence you cant Mess up,too much,but forwards and midfielders can be tactically destroyed and so demotivated they lose Confidence when pulling on

the International shirt....That they dont Enjoy selection,und Clap with joy when returning to club duties..!!

if Southgate can change that gets players enjoying and proud of the call, and not just a Marketing ploy,we will then  see England improve and have more tournament Staying power.

Who he selects or doesnt ,has little relevance to me....I have mentioned before 100k supporters on TV or the terraces,100k selection & Performance opinions.

Edited by fuchsntf

The midfield is pretty woeful don’t get the hype with winks myself and lingard in the squad is crazy. Glad dier and Ali are not in he squad as well. I do like the ox but as people have mentioned not played any football.  

23 minutes ago, H.a.r.r.y said:

I can't stand Southgate for looking at the club before the player, how is Lingard in and Hamza isn't?

He's also picked Mings, Pope, Maddison, Chilwell, Rice, Callum Wilson and Keane though. You really cant say the England setup is a closed shop for players outside the 'big 6'.

He clearly trusts Lingard and likes what he brings to the squad. I'm hopeful he'll get replaced by Barnes or something eventually but Lingard's done pretty good job in an England shirt so far, so it's hardly an outrageous call by Southgate.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Goober said:

He's also picked Mings, Pope, Maddison, Chilwell, Rice, Callum Wilson and Keane though. You really cant say the England setup is a closed shop for players outside the 'big 6'.

He clearly trusts Lingard and likes what he brings to the squad. I'm hopeful he'll get replaced by Barnes or something eventually but Lingard's done pretty good job in an England shirt so far, so it's hardly an outrageous call by Southgate.

Sancho and Trippier also

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

Demarai Gray might as well be off to Man U in Jan if those stats are what you need to be a star at Old Trafford these days, terrible

Gray's stats are basically half the goals and assists though lol 

I get Lingard. 

He was pants here, he’s not great at ManU, but he gives England some much needed forward impetus, and it seems to click with him in internationals. He’s done enough in the shirt to keep it until displaced. Winks, however, has done nothing for England or Spurs, and while the Ox was finally blossoming away from Arsenal, I hate the idea of a player gaining match fitness by playing for England. Mount is a much better shout than either of these...