Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UpTheLeagueFox

ENGLAND: James Maddison named in squad

I do love the sprawl of fans who all want 5/6 players for their club to be in there. I saw a Burnley fan who was amazed that they only had one player in, for example.

As for Lingard, I suspect he's in there on merit from previous appearances for England. Similar to Welbeck in that they often perform for their country regardless of club form. 

• Like 1

The difference in description between Maddison and Mount is ridiculous from Southgate.

Southgate on Mason Mount: "Mason Mount has been one of the outstanding players in the league already this season. We brought both those guys in October for the experience. Now Mason is in on merit, simple as that. He threatens the goal every time he plays."

Southgate on James Maddison: "He is improving as a player, he is a talent for sure. We have to work where that fits into the way we play. His numbers are impressive. He is a young player with a lot of hard work ahead."

Now I like Mason Mount a lot, I think he's had a great start and should be called up, but it sounds like because he plays for Chelsea he's "outstanding" "in on merit" and "threatens the goal every time he plays" wheres Maddison is "improving", "with a lot of hard work ahead". Also indicates that we need to find a way to fit him in the team. For us he's played CM, AM, LM really similar to Mount for Chelsea. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Looking at that squad it is crying out for a hamza type player. Would not be surprised if he breaks in by the end of the season.

he didnt do any favours for himself at the u21 tournament in the summer.

fair play to maddison hope he gets game time

16 minutes ago, happyfox said:

The difference in description between Maddison and Mount is ridiculous from Southgate.

7 minutes ago, Filberts Treat said:

My work colleague has just pointed out that Lingard only gets in coz he sells a lot of shirts, good for the FA’s coffers. 

There are no surprises here.

England managers are essentially just glorified marketing yes men for the FA, the Premier League and by association, the big six.

Edited by RoboFox

What's the point in calling up about 6 8's and 2 other midfielders? Dropping Lingard for Hamza would give the midfield a much better dimension. And to be honest, if Barnes can develop to his full potential, I can see him getting a place in that squad as a winger, of which currently there's only Sterling and Sancho

Bloody hell, we've re-signed Maguire according to the BBC.

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Leicester), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Michael Keane (Everton), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Aaron Wan-Bissaka (Manchester United)

Edited by steveherbe

Some blue eyed specs in here. Mings and Rice both very good and certainly deserving. Hamza ended last season fairly well, but really we're talking a handful of good games so its early for him. Lingard is the only one that's questionable really, maybe Barkely too but not sure what other options we have there that aren't already included.

28 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

At least players like Barkley, AWB, etc. are getting significant minutes for top clubs. I consider that to be largely forgivable, even if Barkley has a tendency to flatter to deceive.

I suppose I'm a bit predudiced as I just don't really rate him and like you, think he flatters to deceive. Also, thus far has been rather usurped at Chelsea by Mason Mount who is for me a better prospect.

2 hours ago, happyfox said:

Southgate on Mason Mount: "Mason Mount has been one of the outstanding players in the league already this season. We brought both those guys in October for the experience. Now Mason is in on merit, simple as that. He threatens the goal every time he plays."

Southgate on James Maddison: "He is improving as a player, he is a talent for sure. We have to work where that fits into the way we play. His numbers are impressive. He is a young player with a lot of hard work ahead."

Now I like Mason Mount a lot, I think he's had a great start and should be called up, but it sounds like because he plays for Chelsea he's "outstanding" "in on merit" and "threatens the goal every time he plays" wheres Maddison is "improving", "with a lot of hard work ahead". Also indicates that we need to find a way to fit him in the team. For us he's played CM, AM, LM really similar to Mount for Chelsea. 

Think you're spot on, clearly certain predudices are not dead and buried. I too think Mount is a great prospect but if Southgate couldn't see how Maddison might have improved the last lumbering midfield performance given by the last team he picked he needs glasses. It was crap til Henderson came on. Barkley a poor player at that level and Maddison and Mount already outshine him. Ali has been poor for club and country for a while. Players mostly should be picked on current form and not their form for England in previous seasons. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Great news and no shock at all

But have I missed something? Where’s Vardy? Did he retire from internationals?

Yeah unless needed - knew GS was going in a youthful direction so left after the last tournament.

Good for LCFC really.

• Like 1

I wonder what odds you'd get on Chilwell, Maddison, Choudhury & Barnes to make the Euro 2020 squad... then a separate bet with Vardy added to those 4 (I know he's retired but he'll get 20 goals, join the PL 100 club, no other English strikers will do well and then he'll get begged to join the squad) 

Edited by Jack1993

1 hour ago, Frost said:

Lingard? Absolute farce.

Club England for you. Once your in you can never leave.

Until you sign for a less fashionable club of course.

Wilshire would be in the squad if he was still at Arsenal.

Mount plays 4 games for Chelsea, straight in the squad. He'd be ignored if he were at Burnley or Brighton.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Club England for you. Once your in you can never leave.

Until you sign for a less fashionable club of course.

Wilshire would be in the squad if he was still at Arsenal.

Mount plays 4 games for Chelsea, straight in the squad. He'd be ignored if he were at Burnley or Brighton.

Exactly pretty much spot on. 

Unsure how Walker has been left out for Trippier and AWB.

But 

But 

HALLE-****ING-LUJAH ERIC DIER ISN'T IN THE SQUAD

Was more surprised to see Chilwell included, given that he's missed the three games leading up to the squad announcement.

Will be at Wembley for the Bulgaria game, so hoping to see two Foxes playing for England in a competitive match - wish Maguire had still been here to make it three (but... we don't need you, we've got Soyuncu).

Since Ashworth has left, and sort of philosophy/identity seems to have gone out the window.

Since the World Cup we’ve ditched a successful tactic and started picking people who aren’t in form, including someone who has been out for twelve months! 

• Like 1

For all the talk of Vardy coming from non-league and the great story, it just shows that it was somewhat a waste for him to be at that level for so long and not being involved with England until the age of 28. Three or four years younger and he's still heavily involved.

Pleased for Maddison, had a good spell since Rodgers arrived.