Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UpTheLeagueFox

ENGLAND: James Maddison named in squad

Southgate has been pretty hit and miss with picking players out of form or not playing. There are examples where he's ignored certain players for that reason but at same time picking players like Lingard. He's been pretty consistent though with picking players that have done well for him previously in an England shirt. 

8 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Southgate has been pretty hit and miss with picking players out of form or not playing. There are examples where he's ignored certain players for that reason but at same time picking players like Lingard. He's been pretty consistent though with picking players that have done well for him previously in an England shirt. 

I actually think that's fair enough. If you've personally got them playing well in your system and you know exactly what they bring, surely you would still want to select them? If he has poor form for England then you drop him.  

You hear this about every selection, sometimes warranted but other times just complaining. I remember people moaning that Leon Osmon wasnt selected. 

Edit: This isnt specific to Lingard by the way, IMO he's a load of horse jzz

Edited by Lambert09

I like Oxlade-Chamberlain but he has looked miles off the pace since his injury, pointless pick. 

This won't be popular on here but Ashley Barnes is unlucky not to get a place. It's a joke that Lingard is in and he isn't if you're picking on merit.

Edited by Paddy.

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Would've preferred the Sheff United keeper instead of Heaton, and don't see why trippier is called up when he's also called up Trent and AWB. 

Actually, after such a shit summer tournament, why not let AWB get more game time in the u21s?

I'd have preferred the Sheffield United keeper to Pickford, the worst England goalkeeper in many years. 

50 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I thought the FA brass picked the teams?

1 hour ago, WilmslowFox said:

Was more surprised to see Chilwell included, given that he's missed the three games leading up to the squad announcement.

Will be at Wembley for the Bulgaria game, so hoping to see two Foxes playing for England in a competitive match - wish Maguire had still been here to make it three (but... we don't need you, we've got Soyuncu).

We dont actually have any other decent left backs. 

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Think you're spot on, clearly certain predudices are not dead and buried. I too think Mount is a great prospect but if Southgate couldn't see how Maddison might have improved the last lumbering midfield performance given by the last team he picked he needs glasses. It was crap til Henderson came on. Barkley a poor player at that level and Maddison and Mount already outshine him. Ali has been poor for club and country for a while. Players mostly should be picked on current form and not their form for England in previous seasons. 

Lets Play both Maddison and Mount....Though Mounts inclusion,for for me a too easy possible cap.Maddison has shown more. 

Rice...selection confuses me most...

The OX...Why not,he had 'started ' to put in performances,before his injury....!!!

Ali,I used to always defend,but I haven seen him turn in One decent Iinternational performance over 18months - 2yrs....!!!

Hes not yet,turned his early shown potential,into an type of highly qualified performances.

The squad,I wont nik-pik...everybody to their own....100k supporters,  100k selection differences.!!

The Major Point for me,that I Read  then  sort of "gobsmacked"  was like many Posters on here already mention was

The Southgate utterings, over Maddison &  Mount..

But then again all managers are allowed  skew whiff ,out of line statements....!!! Its sports, !!  Logic doesnt apply...:smile:

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1