Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

The ‘Media Trying To Sell Our Players Again’ Thread

8 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Anyone meets our clubs valuation of any particular player and I imagine we sell if we want to, not if we don’t. Our model appears sell one big player a year and strengthen. Risky strategy as you have to keep finding gems. That ain’t easy. 

Hopefully we don’t. I really want us to stick with this team now! 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Anyone meets our clubs valuation of any particular player and I imagine we sell if we want to, not if we don’t. Our model appears sell one big player a year and strengthen. Risky strategy as you have to keep finding gems. That ain’t easy. 

Risky for your average club, but our hit rate when it comes to transfers means it would almost be a shame not to take advantage.

2019/20 - Maguire out - Tielemans, Justin, Praet + £20m change in

2020/21 - Chilwell out - Castagne + Fofana in

It's always sad to see an important player leave, but we've shown time and time again that we can spot players that the competition misses.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Risky for your average club, but our hit rate when it comes to transfers means it would almost be a shame not to take advantage.

2019/20 - Maguire out - Tielemans, Justin, Praet + £20m change in

2020/21 - Chilwell out - Castagne + Fofana in

It's always sad to see an important player leave, but we've shown time and time again that we can spot players that the competition misses.

Gamblers have winning streaks. They usually come to an end. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Gamblers have winning streaks. They usually come to an end. 

But is it really gambling if it's more a game of skill, and not of chance?

It's not pure luck that's got us where we are. It's clever management. It's good decision making to recruit the right scouts who find the right players, and then to do the homework to find out which of those are the most suited to us or the most coachable. There's skill and hard work that goes into making sure we make the right purchases and sales.

Not all club's recruitment policies are equal. Man Utd, for example, tend to go after big names in order to impress their fans and sell shirts. We're not hindered by that. West Ham and Everton seem to like big club cast-offs. We're smarter than that.

It's the difference between a punt on a horse based on superstition or a hunch and a considered bet after finding out everything there is to know about each horse and jockey.

Shouldnt there be something in the PL rules and regs about TV stations/pundits to be fined when tapping up another clubs player on air??. Year on year they seem to be more and more comfortable with doing it and it sickens me when our players are on the receiving end.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Shouldnt there be something in the PL rules and regs about TV stations/pundits to be fined when tapping up another clubs player on air??. Year on year they seem to be more and more comfortable with doing it and it sickens me when our players are on the receiving end.

Don't bogart that joint my friend. lol

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

But is it really gambling if it's more a game of skill, and not of chance?

It's not pure luck that's got us where we are. It's clever management. It's good decision making to recruit the right scouts who find the right players, and then to do the homework to find out which of those are the most suited to us or the most coachable. There's skill and hard work that goes into making sure we make the right purchases and sales.

Not all club's recruitment policies are equal. Man Utd, for example, tend to go after big names in order to impress their fans and sell shirts. We're not hindered by that. West Ham and Everton seem to like big club cast-offs. We're smarter than that.

It's the difference between a punt on a horse based on superstition or a hunch and a considered bet after finding out everything there is to know about each horse and jockey.

Yes yes agreed. However to keep finding utter blinders, like we have, is no easy thing and to believe that we will continue to do it under the noses of the bigger clubs is, imho, a tad naive. Maybe we will, it’s not a bad model and only very few clubs can afford £70 million plus players at the moment. 

I’m just not comfortable with it long term. Feels to me like it will fall apart. Hope I’m wrong. 

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Is this the level of punditry now? In a pandemic, just find £100 million to throw at a player from a club who don't need or wish to sell with two days of the window remaining.

People actually get paid for this.

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

Tim Sherwood in "talking out of his arse" shocker

At least he acknowledges that it would be north of 100m 🤷‍♂️ 

5 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Yes yes agreed. However to keep finding utter blinders, like we have, is no easy thing and to believe that we will continue to do it under the noses of the bigger clubs is, imho, a tad naive. Maybe we will, it’s not a bad model and only very few clubs can afford £70 million plus players at the moment. 

I’m just not comfortable with it long term. Feels to me like it will fall apart. Hope I’m wrong. 

You are right - it isn't easy. Far from it. I just think we find it less difficult than a lot of other clubs to get it right as often as we do.

Naive? Maybe, but as long as our set-up remains the same, I think we'll keep our edge over the competition, at least for a while yet.

The global financial situation may well force fewer mega-money sales, but it affects every club, and there will be players we're after whose prices will be cut in turn. It's all relative, really.

I do understand your concern. It wouldn't take many missteps to undo a lot of good work. However, the fruits of our model can perhaps be most clearly seen in the value of the squad. Compare it now, to even the title-winners, and it's night and day.

The way I see it, where we stand now, we're able to make one sale, and in the worst case, have two or three goes at replacing that one player with the cash brought in. With the talent-spotting skill we've demonstrated that we have at the club, on so many occasions, I like those odds.

The owners have stated that they want the club to be self-sufficient. How close we are to achieving that, I'm not sure. We're a long way off the sort of income that the rich 6 bring in, but after the planned expansion of the stadium is completed, perhaps we'll be in a position where we no longer have to rely on player sales to compete at the top.

32 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

You are right - it isn't easy. Far from it. I just think we find it less difficult than a lot of other clubs to get it right as often as we do.

Naive? Maybe, but as long as our set-up remains the same, I think we'll keep our edge over the competition, at least for a while yet.

The global financial situation may well force fewer mega-money sales, but it affects every club, and there will be players we're after whose prices will be cut in turn. It's all relative, really.

I do understand your concern. It wouldn't take many missteps to undo a lot of good work. However, the fruits of our model can perhaps be most clearly seen in the value of the squad. Compare it now, to even the title-winners, and it's night and day.

The way I see it, where we stand now, we're able to make one sale, and in the worst case, have two or three goes at replacing that one player with the cash brought in. With the talent-spotting skill we've demonstrated that we have at the club, on so many occasions, I like those odds.

The owners have stated that they want the club to be self-sufficient. How close we are to achieving that, I'm not sure. We're a long way off the sort of income that the rich 6 bring in, but after the planned expansion of the stadium is completed, perhaps we'll be in a position where we no longer have to rely on player sales to compete at the top.

I agree it is the model we are pursuing. The owners see it as prudent no doubt and so far it has worked remarkably well. 

All clubs sell players in reality, I just don’t like selling real quality. So in those terms I have no issue with us selling Drinkwater, Slabs or Chillwell - so maybe you’ve got a point. 

I will accede graciously just as long as it keeps going well, as soon as it goes wrong I’ll be on you like a rabid dog 🤣

• Haha 1