Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest ttfn

Quarter Final Hoodoo

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

The only hoodoo there is that we keep drawing Chelsea and Man City in quarter finals. 

When you think Watford got to a final playing, backwards, Wolves, Palace, QPR, Newcastle and Woking. We could only dream of that sort of luck. 

Bit difficult to play backwards to be fair.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Finnegan said:

The only hoodoo there is that we keep drawing Chelsea and Man City in quarter finals. 

When you think Watford got to a final playing, backwards, Wolves, Palace, QPR, Newcastle and Woking. We could only dream of that sort of luck. 

2016/17 we had everton derby and millwall so we had a bit of luck but couldn't get past 10 man millwall

Edited by tylesta

15 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Didn’t we have York, Villa, Bristol City, Wycombe? Good little run to the semis there..wait...

9 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Don't think Liverpool would play their kids in a semi. I mean they might but I'd doubt it.

I'm actually not totally ruling them out of getting past Villa. Wouldn't even put it past them the way they're going.

They haven't got much of a choice as the first team will be abroad for the World Club cup, or whatever it's called. 

Thought the Everton game was going to be a push over but they have the new manager bounce and will be well up for revenge considering the manner of our last gasp winner against them a couple of weeks ago.

Still think we can do them unless BR decides to rest a few for Saturday, which is a huge game for us. had we got the win against Norwich and kept a six point cushion he may have gone for it in this game but now we are only four points ahead he may decide that Man city is more of a priority and rotate for the cup. I fully expect to see the likes of Albrighton and Hamza given game time, but really hope we do not make too many changes

10 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Don't think Liverpool would play their kids in a semi. I mean they might but I'd doubt it.

I'm actually not totally ruling them out of getting past Villa. Wouldn't even put it past them the way they're going.

I think they are and the U23s gaffer is taking charge of it. Amazed so many people were happy to avoid them, they're an easier draw than Everton this round imo.

5 hours ago, rachhere said:

They haven't got much of a choice as the first team will be abroad for the World Club cup, or whatever it's called. 

3 hours ago, Langston said:

I think they are and the U23s gaffer is taking charge of it. Amazed so many people were happy to avoid them, they're an easier draw than Everton this round imo.

I was on about the semis if they got through the quarters - which I think is highly unlikely but you just never know with Liverpool anymore lol 

I think our draw's rubbish to be honest. It's one of the worst we could've got.

16 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I was on about the semis if they got through the quarters - which I think is highly unlikely but you just never know with Liverpool anymore lol 

I think our draw's rubbish to be honest. It's one of the worst we could've got.

Ohhhh I see! Yeah i wouldn't be surprised. Klopp clearly set up to lose in the last round, but even when handed it on a plate, Arsenal still couldn't win it :facepalm:and Klopp seemed to be looking on in disbelief when they went through! 

Still think I would sooner have Everton than Man U or Man City though. Fingers crossed we get through this and then Villa in the semis. 

On 15/12/2019 at 07:04, ttfn said:

I’ve become slightly obsessed by our inability to win Quarter Finals.

Wednesday will mark just 4 weeks short of 20 years since we last won a Quarter Final. Westlife were number 1, Toy Story 2 was still a month away from being released at cinemas and the first series of Big Brother hadn’t yet aired.  

Since scraping past Fulham on penalties in the 2000 League Cup Quarter Final we have lost 9 consecutive Quarter Final matches:

2001 FA Cup - Wycombe

2005 FA Cup - Blackburn

2008 Johnstone’s Paint Trophy North (!) - Rotherham

2012 FA Cup - Chelsea

2013/14 League Cup - Man City

2016/17 Champions League - Atletico Madrid

2017/18 League Cup - Man City

2018 FA Cup - Chelsea

2018/19 League Cup - Man City

Whilst individually most of those games were tough on paper, collectively it is a pretty significant anomaly. 20 years is a ridiculously long time for a club of our size not to have been to a semi final, especially given that we’ve spent half of that time in the top flight. Apart from Charlton, we’re the only side to record 3 top 10 finishes in that time and still not get to a semi final of a cup at any point. Since we last made a Semi Final:

39 different clubs have reached major domestic semi finals.

Blackburn have reached 6

Sheffield United have reached 4

Watford have reached 4

Southampton, Wigan and Middlesbrough have reached 3

Millwall have reached 2
Burton and Bradford have reached 1 each

People might think that none of this matters but for me reaching a semi final is the starting point for a discussion about having had a good cup run. It feels like over the years we’ve had a lot of half-decent spells in cups but nothing worth remembering. 

Fingers crossed that changes on Wednesday. A two legged semi final, especially if the second leg’s at home, would be a great way to start the new year...

Where foxestalk leads the Merc follows.

Ceefax striker and Atletico on the ropes – every Leicester City quarter-final loss since their last win - https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ceefax-striker-atletico-ropes--3654261

unless ttfn is Jordan Blackwell?