Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest ttfn

Quarter Final Hoodoo

I’ve become slightly obsessed by our inability to win Quarter Finals.

Wednesday will mark just 4 weeks short of 20 years since we last won a Quarter Final. Westlife were number 1, Toy Story 2 was still a month away from being released at cinemas and the first series of Big Brother hadn’t yet aired.  

Since scraping past Fulham on penalties in the 2000 League Cup Quarter Final we have lost 9 consecutive Quarter Final matches:

2001 FA Cup - Wycombe

2005 FA Cup - Blackburn

2008 Johnstone’s Paint Trophy North (!) - Rotherham

2012 FA Cup - Chelsea

2013/14 League Cup - Man City

2016/17 Champions League - Atletico Madrid

2017/18 League Cup - Man City

2018 FA Cup - Chelsea

2018/19 League Cup - Man City

Whilst individually most of those games were tough on paper, collectively it is a pretty significant anomaly. 20 years is a ridiculously long time for a club of our size not to have been to a semi final, especially given that we’ve spent half of that time in the top flight. Apart from Charlton, we’re the only side to record 3 top 10 finishes in that time and still not get to a semi final of a cup at any point. Since we last made a Semi Final:

39 different clubs have reached major domestic semi finals.

Blackburn have reached 6

Sheffield United have reached 4

Watford have reached 4

Southampton, Wigan and Middlesbrough have reached 3

Millwall have reached 2
Burton and Bradford have reached 1 each

People might think that none of this matters but for me reaching a semi final is the starting point for a discussion about having had a good cup run. It feels like over the years we’ve had a lot of half-decent spells in cups but nothing worth remembering. 

Fingers crossed that changes on Wednesday. A two legged semi final, especially if the second leg’s at home, would be a great way to start the new year...

I think this is a great season to push for silverware. Without Europe we don't have to worry about as much fixture congestion as our top 4 rivals. Really hope we push for League Cup and/or FA Cup. All the Premier League teams in Europe have qualified for latter rounds so that's more games for them then. 

My worry is that we looked a bit leggy in the last few games. Hope that doesn't show much against a somewhat revived Everton under new management... 

Got a sinking feeling about this Everton game. They'll be massively up for this and Goodison (though frequently fairly toxic in recent years) will probably be rocking. And given our curiously poor record in this stage of cup competitions  - as pointed out here - and recent slightly unconvincing displays I can only see one outcome...

A win for Leicester, of course!

1 minute ago, Stoopid said:

Got a sinking feeling about this Everton game. They'll be massively up for this and Goodison (though frequently fairly toxic in recent years) will probably be rocking. And given our curiously poor record in this stage of cup competitions  - as pointed out here - and recent slightly unconvincing displays I can only see one outcome...

A win for Leicester, of course!

I don’t disagree but at the same time when was the last time Goodson was rocking? 1983? 

1 minute ago, Manini said:

I don’t disagree but at the same time when was the last time Goodson was rocking? 1983? 

Fair point, but I think with Duncan Ferguson in charge and a chance at a semi - not mention getting one over on a team their fans probably see as occupying the position they should be in - they'll be right up for this.

Think this one will tell us a lot about our mental strength - and our prospects for the rest of the season.

7 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Fair point, but I think with Duncan Ferguson in charge and a chance at a semi - not mention getting one over on a team their fans probably see as occupying the position they should be in - they'll be right up for this.

Think this one will tell us a lot about our mental strength - and our prospects for the rest of the season.

I’m boosted by the proposition that we’re better away from home to be honest. As long as we don’t make too many wholesale changes and don’t piss about with the formation I think we’ll be okay. 

4 minutes ago, Manini said:

I’m boosted by the proposition that we’re better away from home to be honest. As long as we don’t make too many wholesale changes and don’t piss about with the formation I think we’ll be okay. 

Really hope so -

Win this, and it could be a great season. I really ought to have more faith in the team I guess. 

Must be my age...

2 hours ago, ttfn said:

Wednesday will mark just 4 weeks short of 20 years since we last won a Quarter Final. Westlife were number 1, Toy Story 2 was still a month away from being released at cinemas and the first series of Big Brother hadn’t yet aired.  

Since scraping past Fulham on penalties in the 2000 League Cup Quarter Final we have lost 9 consecutive Quarter Final matches:

2001 FA Cup - Wycombe

2005 FA Cup - Blackburn

2012 FA Cup - Chelsea

2018 FA Cup - Chelsea

Whilst individually most of those games were tough on paper, collectively it is a pretty significant anomaly. 20 years is a ridiculously long time for a club of our size not to have been to a semi final, especially given that we’ve spent half of that time in the top flight. Apart from Charlton, we’re the only side to record 3 top 10 finishes in that time and still not get to a semi final of a cup at any point. Since we last made a Semi Final:

Blackburn have reached 6

Watford have reached 4

Millwall have reached 2

People might think that none of this matters but for me reaching a semi final is the starting point for a discussion about having had a good cup run. It feels like over the years we’ve had a lot of half-decent spells in cups but nothing worth remembering. 

Fingers crossed that changes on Wednesday. A two legged semi final, especially if the second leg’s at home, would be a great way to start the new year...

Great work on the research here, love looking at information like this. Out of interest if you have it there, when was the last time Everton made a semi?

I honestly can’t remember them doing well in a cup since Paul Rideout won them the FA Cup in the mid 90s

2 hours ago, ttfn said:

2001 FA Cup - Wycombe

2005 FA Cup - Blackburn

2012 FA Cup - Chelsea

2018 FA Cup - Chelsea

Blackburn have reached 6

Watford have reached 4

Millwall have reached 2

Good Topic, to compete against those festive trivial-pursuit moments,

at least we are not yet an Infamous printed card piece of Fun inside One of the pulled festive crackers..

Even when we win ( on penalties).  The semi-final we will draw Man.city and stutter for the next decade at SFs.:facepalm:

One day....!  we can Stop !!:frusty:.   Then from winning FA!!  We can Stand up & tell our G.Kids with tears in our eyes...After Years of FA,

we actually did raise FA...by seeing our Ribbon and captains hand on that elusive Silver trophy....Vardy becomes the oldest Player to Lift it...!!

Who'd of thought After all our great runs & campaigns,we ended up lifting the PL trophy,before the FA-cup.

Though a further Carabou Trail of success ,would be welcoming...:scarf:

8 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Great work on the research here, love looking at information like this. Out of interest if you have it there, when was the last time Everton made a semi?

I honestly can’t remember them doing well in a cup since Paul Rideout won them the FA Cup in the mid 90s

They got to the semifinal of both the FA Cup and League Cup in 2015/16.

Wonder what else happened that season?

21 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The only hoodoo there is that we keep drawing Chelsea and Man City in quarter finals. 

When you think Watford got to a final playing, backwards, Wolves, Palace, QPR, Newcastle and Woking. We could only dream of that sort of luck. 

Not only that but we'd pick weakened teams ourselves and go out on pens the last few years.