Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Scottish Football

3 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Should mistakes be held against someone forever? He's spent 5 years at Clyde and no one made a fuss of that, just made the move at the wrong time given the Greenwood uproar.

Got fck all to do with Greenwood. 

It was initially a massive fvck you to those associated with and loyal to the club, but now they've backtracked because their sponsor rightfully ran off, as did their women's team captain. Perhaps several other fans too. 

It's a load of bollocks that they are a 'community club' as they stated when they've made this decision. 

'sticking with their actions' basically would mean they continue to hold their two fingers up at anyone who dares speak out at their decision. 

34 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Hate this. They knew what they were doing, stick to your actions. This isn't something where they've done it by accident, they knew what they were doing and were obviously okay with it. 

Absolutely mad that the power social media has over the world.

I wouldn't say it's a case of social media having the power but rather a case of money holding the power. 

Sponsorships and gate receipts are pretty much the sole income for a team like RR, the threat of losing both is what has sparked action, not the voice of the people but the money of the people and certainly not the moral integrity of the club, they've shown that football results are worth more than that. 

Also, their sponsor was a prominent feminist writer.

Just think logically how it appears when the club you're sponsoring (and a lifelong fan of) hires a rapist. 

The mental gymnastics to think they should have stuck to their actions or that it shouldn't have been such an issue is bewildering. 

She even says the board lied to her and said the signing wouldn't happen. 

• Like 2

"A security firm employee working at the nightclub told the court that [the victim] had been in need of an ambulance.

Gayle McGregor said: "She wasn't in control of herself. Her eyes were rolling in her head. She couldn't stand up straight. She couldn't speak to me properly. She wasn't compos mentis."

In the action it was said the players offered her a lift home in a taxi, but the driver was requested to drop all three at the flat in Armadale [where they raped her.]"

This isn't "a mistake", two men took an incapacitated, severely drunk woman under the pretence of helping her get home and instead took her somewhere they could rape her. 

This is the behaviour of extremely dangerous sexual predators who targeted someone vulnerable.

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 4

So basically, the Raith board didn't think this through at all? lol

I'll hold my hands up and say I've spoken too quickly on this one, mainly due to my hatred of the vigilante action and harassment that social media is awash with these days. 

I'm standing by my point that Raith are idiots. They lied to their main sponsor about the signing??  Did they not think that she would realise that they went and signed him? lol

They clearly hadn't thought it through and now they look like massive chumps.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, filbertway said:

So basically, the Raith board didn't think this through at all? lol

I'll hold my hands up and say I've spoken too quickly on this one, mainly due to my hatred of the vigilante action and harassment that social media is awash with these days. 

I'm standing by my point that Raith are idiots. They lied to their main sponsor about the signing??  Did they not think that she would realise that they went and signed him? lol

They clearly hadn't thought it through and now they look like massive chumps.

No one argues your point that Raith are idiots. 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

What? 

Stick to keeping a rapist at the club? 

I see this as a positive for fans to still have some power over what decisions their club makes. 

This was not just social media. 

Yeah far deeper than that, half their board resigned, sponsors ditched them, a lot of their players in the woman's team resigned also.

The thing about it is that Raith will have no grounds to terminate his contract. They knew his crimes when they signed him so the only way they can get rid of him is to pay him which saves them right but is more than he deserves. 

4 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

There is no place in football for rapists. Why should football tolerate and accept them?

Are there no morals left or is it a question of the society we live in?

I hate this "they've done their time, don't they deserve a chance to move on with their life" stuff? 

Well, sure, if the law says they're rehabilitated and they've done their time then great - they can move on with their life, that's their right. But they don't have a right to have the joy of playing elite sport and representing towns and cities, let alone countries, doing it.

Nobody's saying Goodwillie can't go off and take his CV to MaccyDees or Burger King like everyone else with no formal qualifications, no prior relevant work experience and a criminal record littered with assault. He can earn his lot in life the hard way like everybody else. Nobody is entitled to play professional sport, however good they may be at it.

I had this argument with people about Ched Evans. Even with Evans' conviction overturned by way of successful diabolical slut-shaming, "criminal" or not, what he'd testified in his own words to doing - in court - was vile enough that he shouldn't have ever been employed again by a professional football club. Again, it's a privilege not a right and the sport should demand a certain minimum of standards be met. Footballers might not be ideal "role-models" in the strictest sense but we should still expect a modicum of decency. 

Absolutely nothing stopping him going and pursuing a "normal" career away from the public spotlight. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

There is no place in football for rapists. Why should football tolerate and accept them?

Are there no morals left or is it a question of the society we live in?

There shouldn’t be. But why was nobody seemingly bothered whilst he’s been playing for Clyde for years ?

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

But obviously Clyde didn't have a prominent feminist and well renowned author as one of their primary supporters to withdraw their sponsorship and cause significant national attention.

It's not "social media hysteria" at the end of the day it's just more people noticed when he went to Raith than Clyde. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lcfc82 said:

That’s my point, I don’t understand why everyone has kicked off about him now when he’s been playing in the Scottish league for years.

Presumably it has come about because people are prepared to stand up and be counted and not to brush heinous crimes under the carpet. Remember, thousands nay millions thought Savile was a wonderful chap before it all "kicked off".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, filbertway said:

Hate this. They knew what they were doing, stick to your actions. This isn't something where they've done it by accident, they knew what they were doing and were obviously okay with it. 

Absolutely mad that the power social media has over the world.

Tbf I do get what you mean, it does seem daft they've basically longed it out where they've gotten the worst of worse world's to just bottle the decision once the damage has already been done.

Wouldn't necessarily say it's a bad thing, but I feel that if this is the standards then it should be implemented lawfully whether it's if you're a sex offender you can't be a pro footballer, not sure how that would work but something along those lines.

15 hours ago, Finnegan said:

@Muzzy_Larsson

Back on the actual subject, when all of your players are fully bedded in and everyone's fit, what's actually going to be your strongest 11 do you think? 

Hmm it's a good and a bad question that one, if that makes sense. We play so many matches and get so many injuries that we very rarely have a full complement of players to choose from at any one point in time.

I'll have a bash though.

Hart

Juranovic

Carter-Vickers

Starfelt

Taylor

McGregor

Hatate

O'Riley

Abada

Kyogo

Jota

Obvious area we need to upgrade in the summer is at left back. If we can also keep Carter-Vickers and Jota then our squad is looking really strong.