Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Cricket 2020

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Wood is a really unlucky cricketer, seems to do a hell of a lot of carrying drinks. Also feel sorry for Bairstow who gets pushed around to accommodate other players all the time. Made a mess of this chase but you never know with this batting line up.

:ph34r:

14 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Top knock Bairstow.

Often seems to deliver when people ask questions of him.

• Like 1

Watched some of the Australia v India ODI on BT this morning and was struck by how much better the commentary teams are over here. Far too much bantz, crowd stuff, matey chat- give me Hussain, Atherton, Holding, Ward any day.

We are blessed to have the quality of insight and analysis they provide.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Corky said:

Watched some of the Australia v India ODI on BT this morning and was struck by how much better the commentary teams are over here. Far too much bantz, crowd stuff, matey chat- give me Hussain, Atherton, Holding, Ward any day.

We are blessed to have the quality of insight and analysis they provide.

Really? 

I don't think there was that much difference. Especially considering they were all Aussie there wasn't too much bias, if any, either. In fact they were quite admiring of the India team and seemed to be a mutual respect (as a commentator this should be the norm, to have impartiality on the game you're commentating on). Found it easy to listen to as the match went on.

Far too often, especially with Hussain and Mark Nicholas, they're very biased. The latter especially - every catch for England is great. Any opposition player with a clearly very difficult catch, 'oh that's a dolly, he should be making that, that's an easy one he's dropped there' etc etc.

I didn't notice so much 'bantz' or crowd stuff. 

I love the insight & analysis Sky do on the whole, though. Maybe they generally do more of it, very much so in the intervals (more in tests) and not just in-game. Holding, Hughes, Ward are very good. Sometimes it's a bit of a strain listening to Hussain and Atherton though.

Yes, I think the way it's done over here is better. I agree that Nicholas is crap but Atherton has been excellent since he retired and on both Channel 4 and Sky, Hussain has improved enormously in recent years. Two of the best pundits for me.

My prejudice may stem from the fact I don't like Shane Warne's commentary style and he was on most of the time I was watching. Richie Benaud is the best commentator I've heard and I enjoyed Ricky Ponting when he was here doing the Ashes so it's not an anti-Aussie stance.

I just felt they could've done more.

6 minutes ago, Corky said:

Yes, I think the way it's done over here is better. I agree that Nicholas is crap but Atherton has been excellent since he retired and on both Channel 4 and Sky, Hussain has improved enormously in recent years. Two of the best pundits for me.

My prejudice may stem from the fact I don't like Shane Warne's commentary style and he was on most of the time I was watching. Richie Benaud is the best commentator I've heard and I enjoyed Ricky Ponting when he was here doing the Ashes so it's not an anti-Aussie stance.

I just felt they could've done more.

I agree Warne can be a bit onorous to listen to.

I think Gilchrist and Lyon were on too. The latter you could tell was fairly new to comms and that's probably the 'bantz' you heard. He didn't offer much to be honest.

13 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I must have missed that, what happened?

I was watching on mute so wasn't listening. Just there's a guy in a box with random letters on the edge of the balcony appearing to signal a message to someone.

Since transpired, thanks to BBC text, it's a message being given to Eoin Morgan...

Agnew said this:

We're a bit intrigued here because the strategist is putting up a number and a letter - it's got people talking a bit. In cricket, all decision-making takes place on the field. It's not like a football manager situation - the captain is in charge.

There was an occasion in the 1999 World Cup where Bob Woolmer, the South Africa coach, wired up Hansie Cronje with an earpiece and was telling who/what to bowl and everything and actually the ICC got very snotty about it and banned it - quite rightly so. What's the difference? I'm not sure there is one. The ECB have said it's purely an offering, a guidance and suggestion for the captain.

I've been a bit naughty with the ECB media man and suggested that it was the seat number the ball was being smashed into next - and that hasn't gone down very well in Cape Town. People will talk about it - the captain is in charge, and of the tactics. I suspect tomorrow that many newspapers will talk about it and whether it's right or not. England have had it cleared by the ICC.

Sky Sports have confirmed that the letters/numbers are live signals from the England changing room for Eoin Morgan.

He is free to ignore them - they are not commands. He's got to have a seriously impressive memory to remember what all the codes mean in the heat of an international Twenty20.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Got so much time for Malan. Saw him make his first ever T20 ton for Middlesex and have always wanted him to do well since.

Poor from Buttler running for the single to leave him on 99 though! I'd have sent him back to have another crack at it!

Was that the one at The Oval, against Lancs? Sensational innings that was. 

20 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Yes! Were you there too?

No but remember watching it on the tele, no idea why I was only about 12. Unfortunately for me I have an encyclopedic memory for any footy/cricket I've watched, but like a sieve for anything else lol

• Haha 1