Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Çağlar Söyüncü: Turkey’s Sensation

On 08/06/2021 at 18:52, Bert Fill said:

What kind of words??

Hi Filbert . There is some difference between our cultures.  If someone we ,sincere with him , if we are very close friend or a good man who is much older than us  may call us son, but if there is no sincerity, it would be an insult if someone called I am as your father. As a fan, saying I am the father of Çağs is not a nice word that is not used in Turkey.  Frankly, I couldn't understand why it has been said that. But I do not know I am not sure and I do not know about English culture . Propably I should not interfere English jokes that I could not understand sometimes. If it is ok for Walker,  I do not want to interfere more .. Let it be stayed so.. I do not live there ..different culture different lives..

10 minutes ago, Gazi Giray said:

He comes after Merih and Kaan Ayhan. He has good technic but I really do not want to say anything for Turkish players as I have been dissapponted with Cengo.. Liverpool did not want to sign him this year permanently , I do not know he is not bad , but I dont now what BR thinks about him.. 

and of course after Çağs

Guest Bert Fill
21 minutes ago, Gazi Giray said:

Hi Filbert . There is some difference between our cultures.  If someone we ,sincere with him , if we are very close friend or a good man who is much older than us  may call us son, but if there is no sincerity, it would be an insult if someone called I am as your father. As a fan, saying I am the father of Çağs is not a nice word that is not used in Turkey.  Frankly, I couldn't understand why it has been said that. But I do not know I am not sure and I do not know about English culture . Propably I should not interfere English jokes that I could not understand sometimes. If it is ok for Walker,  I do not want to interfere more .. Let it be stayed so.. I do not live there ..different culture different lives..

Thanks for the explanation!

Definitely a cross-cultural confusion - what was certainly nothing more than an inoffensive jokey comment in England turns out to be very offensive in Turkey.

I shall make sure not to say ‘What, are you his dad or something?’ to someone from Turkey.

Wars were probably started in the past for exactly this type of misunderstanding!

Guest Bert Fill
38 minutes ago, Gazi Giray said:

I really do not want to say anything for Turkish players as I have been dissapponted with Cengo

This is a shame. I’m certain that for most - probably all - people on here the views expressed about Ünder are nothing to do with him being from Turkey, and any questions about other Turkish players are asked in good faith, and based on people thinking you’ll know more about them than we do.

(If someone took the comments on here about Perez as a guide, perhaps they’d assume England and Spain were still at war...)

20 minutes ago, Bert Fill said:

This is a shame. I’m certain that for most - probably all - people on here the views expressed about Ünder are nothing to do with him being from Turkey, and any questions about other Turkish players are asked in good faith, and based on people thinking you’ll know more about them than we do.

(If someone took the comments on here about Perez as a guide, perhaps they’d assume England and Spain were still at war...)

Hi Bert .Thank you for your kind consideration .  I know well these comments are  not about Cengo being a Turk . I am not offended as being a Turk or Cengo being a Turk.. I only have been dissappointed  to see negative comments -but I can see this negative comments as usual in Turkish forum for Turkish players or foreign players.. Turkish fans also say he is rubbish, he is dustpin etc.. - I did not get this as a national issues.. But  because I wanted very much to see improve of Cengo as he has been one of the most promising young players even more that Çağs once , and also another disappointment for Cenk for Everton -I understand he has a big rival Dominique Calwert-Lewin , things about Cenk did not go well and he returned to Turkey.. So I lower my exxpectations  to a normal degree as it used to be.. Until a Turkish players to be successfull I will not mention about him or sending a post about him...

44 minutes ago, Bert Fill said:

Definitely a cross-cultural confusion - what was certainly nothing more than an inoffensive jokey comment in England turns out to be very offensive in Turkey.

I shall make sure not to say ‘What, are you his dad or something?’ to someone from Turkey.

Wars were probably started in the past for exactly this type of misunderstanding!

It is different are you father of him and I am father of you.. I am father of you is taken offended. The other is not. 

37 minutes ago, Bert Fill said:

I realized that I have missunderstood and get wrong this word .. English like jokes much more than us..  Maybe you are more relax people than us.. 

Guest Bert Fill
1 hour ago, Gazi Giray said:

It is different are you father of him and I am father of you.. I am father of you is taken offended. The other is not. 

Understood. Finally. I think.

Guest Bert Fill
1 hour ago, Gazi Giray said:

Maybe you are more relax people than us

Maybe.

Or maybe we are really insecure and hide behind jokes...

6 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

It must be a nightmare for non native speakers of English, as we take the piss so much. 

Its a nightmare for a native English speaker living in Austria as I can never mention the war.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bert Fill said:

8 hours ago, Gazi Giray said:

I realized that I have missunderstood and get wrong this word .. English like jokes much more than us..  Maybe you are more relax people than us.. 

English humour is a bit unusual. Even Americans who are theoretically speaking the same language sometimes struggle to understand it.

I think it is fair to say that there are relatively few areas that are off limits, but even then I'd like to think we recognise that posters come on here from all over the world, and not all have English as their first language. Maybe I am a bit old fashioned, or maybe I am not as insular as some English people, but I know that jokey insults of someone's family are not seen as respectful in other cultures, and won't always end well.

I'm sure folks are just reflecting our culture, which does often compose off what we like to call 'banter'. When banter works well it is a brilliant thing, but can also spill over into what I would call bullying. I doubt any of the posts you reacted to were doing much more than trying to sound funny, because anyone who is repeatedly nasty will draw the attention of the Moderators.

I like FT, but respect for others (and ourselves) is possibly not our strongest suit. :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, drumbeat said:

My poor brother could not take it and left the UK to go home.

That is sad, I think some of the English do love a bit of bullying disguised as 'banter'. It is generally the inadequate ones, but it can get ugly quite quickly here, especially when alchohol is involved.

When I went to school we had prefects, who were essentially bullies with permission to bully, and if you look at our Eton-educated overlords, they are products of a system which has hierachy at it's core.

We do love punching down in this country.

Edited by Vardinio'sCat

7 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Its a nightmare for a native English speaker living in Austria as I can never mention the war.

As his parents were pre-war diaspora I've been trying to get my Dad to take up his newfound eligibility for an Austrian passport, mainly because he has a tiny flat in a French ski resort, and Brexit. At one point he said, 'Yeah, but all the best people left Austria a long time ago', and I thought he might not quite have moved on himself! lol

80 years of hurt, eh.:ph34r:

• Haha 1

I came here to see if anyone was moaning about Villa making a signing before us.

Instead I've learnt suggesting fatherhood to a Turk is an insult.

What a day.

7 hours ago, drumbeat said:

My poor brother could not take it and left the UK to go home.

Where did he return to? Turkey? Does he still hate us? Does he fancy doing any scouting?

2 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Was "I am your father, Luke" extra offensive in Turkish? I'm a multi-cultural fountain of knowledge. I'm going to ram this into the first conversation I possible can.

Questions of parentage can be lost in translation, and can be offensive in many cultures.

At least that's what I think is going on!:dunno:

1 hour ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

English humour is a bit unusual. Even Americans who are theoretically speaking the same language sometimes struggle to understand it.

I think it is fair to say that there are relatively few areas that are off limits, but even then I'd like to think we recognise that posters come on here from all over the world, and not all have English as their first language. Maybe I am a bit old fashioned, or maybe I am not as insular as some English people, but I know that jokey insults of someone's family are not seen as respectful in other cultures, and won't always end well.

I'm sure folks are just reflecting our culture, which does often compose off what we like to call 'banter'. When banter works well it is a brilliant thing, but can also spill over into what I would call bullying. I doubt any of the posts you reacted to were doing much more than trying to sound funny, because anyone who is repeatedly nasty will draw the attention of the Moderators.

I like FT, but respect for others (and ourselves) is possibly not our strongest suit. :thumbup:

Oh c'mon now. Its not that hard. I can smell the piss from here.:fishing: