Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

New Contract for Jonny Evans?

It really doesn’t get enough discussion just how great Evans is right now.  You could iso on him for an entire game and he’d rarely put a foot wrong.   No weaknesses in his game and a bushel of strengths.

10 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

It really doesn’t get enough discussion just how great Evans is right now.  You could iso on him for an entire game and he’d rarely put a foot wrong.   No weaknesses in his game and a bushel of strengths.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1909441/2020/07/06/caglar-soyuncu-jonny-evans-leicester-city/

As if by magic, The Athletic appeared...  :)

• Like 1

He's been pretty poor since the restart tbh, but he always seems to get away with any of his poor performances from fans for some reason. I wonder if his new contract is part of it. At fault for goals both today and Araenal and Kasper has had to come to the rescue twice against Brighton due to his errors

We're severely lacking defensive leadership atm and he should be the elder statesman stepping up as a leader and he's just not been there to offer that leadership.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hes a high earner which may have caused some sticking points but I cant see all of these negotiations just to throw an extra 12 months onto his current deal. I think Evans will want a 3 year deal but negotiated on lower salary. 

Big issue was made after the recent Chelsea match against West Ham regarding the huge difference the 36yr old Thiago had made. Not because of his goal or defensive performance which was very good, but his influence on those around him in defence and how in general they had improved. Particular focus was on the performances of Kurt Zuma under his influence. 

We already have our own influencer in Evans and Maguire, Soyuncu and now Fofana have all benefitted from playing alongside him. United rue the day they got rid of him particularly after the signing of Maguire because on occasions, it was precisely Evans covering for him that made Maguire look so good. He's still good but arguably his performances for United and England haven't hit the same heights. Evans for me is our most important centre half and is invaluable for the further education of Soyuncu and Fofana, perhaps even Armarty. There's no substitute for his experience and his contract would be invaluable for the future of our defence as a whole and if the money is about right, three years rather than two may be better for us also.

If only we could find a similar experienced player for a midfield role, has Cambiasso had enough rest yet, couple of ibuprofen and surely he'd be good to go?

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Can't under estimate the value of experience in supporting the development of Soyuncu and Fofana.  

I criticised his distribution the other day, but you can't fault how his experience has really brought the best out of his defensive partner. Maguire, Soy and Fofana have all benefited from his presence 

• Like 2

On 23/12/2020 at 07:30, volpeazzurro said:

If only we could find a similar experienced player for a midfield role, has Cambiasso had enough rest yet, couple of ibuprofen and surely he'd be good to go?

A pre match Vardy ham omelette, a red bull and an espresso and I think he'd be fine for a season or two :thumbup:

• Like 2