Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

New Contract for Jonny Evans?

32 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

Agreed. I must admit i was in the Jonny Evans ..really? camp, but he's been excellent for us. 

Yeah so was I. Thought he might have a dodgy attitude after the taxi thing, and wrongfully judged him based on how WBA played and performed. The dude is quality.

I guess he was paid above the odds salary wise because of the low fee so that may be a sticking point in negotiations. As for his play, he deserves a new contract, when you consider BR got his new one just after joining because of the team's performance, Evans should have his because the performance was largely down to him.

I'd offer 2 years at the same pay or 4 at reduced pay. In 4 years he'll be younger than Wes is now.

He should finish his Premier League career with us, and it could even possibly be his last deal unless he fancies a move to Celtic or the USA for a final swan song. He's basically the new Wes Morgan for us, a bit younger but one of our leaders on and off the pitch. 

3.5m really was one of the steals of the century. Vardy, Mahrez and Kante will always go down as legendary signings not just for us but in the world of football. But Jonny Evans was a known quantity, he'd played for Man U under Alex Ferguson! Even when the Baggies went down, he was their best player even if he had the Taxi Cab incident. For me though we might not win anything, he's made as much of an impact as Robert Huth and is probably the overall better player too. 

3 hours ago, bovril said:

He's been brilliant. One of those classy defenders you enjoy watching. 

Evans is the complete defender I've seen here (I only caught the back end of Elliott's career really).

Just wish he was younger.

Superb signing. One of the greatest in the club's history when you consider how much we paid for him.

He’s on 90k a week and is worth every penny. Hopefully he extends by an extra year.

Thanks to that dodgy release clause he had at WBA, he’s been incredible value.

Well deserved, massively underrated player. For me been our player of the season. I can not remember a bad game from him. 2 year deal is ideal as he will give great lessons to Cags, Benkovic.. Superb defender and even better person around the club. 

i too was in the Really? camp.  why would we want a past it defender who was at the heart of a woeful WBA side that had just been relegated. Assumed at £3.5M he was just going to be a backup squad player but he is the backbone of our side, one of the best reader of the game i have seen in an LCFC shirt. Not surprised only a year before there had been speculation about a big money bid coming in for him. So glad that dd not materialise (or WBA batted it into the long grass). Masterstroke by our recruitment team who it transpired had been tracking him for time waiting to leap in and trigger the release clause from under the noses of some of the big boys.

Absolutely deserves an extension and should be made captain

It's bonkers he played for such a shit West Brom team for so long and then we got him for peanuts. Could easily have been playing for a top 5/6/7 side whilst he was at WBA - how many dross defenders have Arsenal been through in the last 5 years?

• Like 2

Genuinely I think he’s the best defender ever to play for us. There might have been better centre halves that played for us in the 60s but it was almost a different sport then. Perhaps Elliott would be in contention too but Evans is colossal, £3.5m in two instalments is a piss take.