Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

World Snooker Championship 2020

16 hours ago, Nalis said:

Any combination of Hendry, Taylor and McManus in the commentary box is excellent.

Parrott, Davis and Doherty are likeable but they just aren't as good as those I've mentioned. Perry and Ebdon are crap.

As ever, Jason Mohammed has been a very solid presenter though Hazel Irvine will be good to have back as the main snooker host.

JV hasnt been missed at all in this tournament I feel.

Agree with the first statement, Hendry is a natural calls as just like when he was playing. Not a fan of Doherty myself just don't as good as the others and Perry and Ebdon are naff.

i've missed JV just think he adds the chemistry to the commentary just like Taylor does, would like Clive Everton back too but doubt that would ever happen again.

Brought up memories of Willie R.I.P. 

• Sad 1

I was thinking about the adulation Ronnie gets, and people often say when he's gone that snooker will be boring, and people will turn off. But surely matches like last night will be quickly forgotten, its the close matches and certainly finals that live long in the memory. Don't get me wrong watching O'Sullivan in full flow is great, but the drama of it is what snooker fans enjoy. That semi between Wilson and McGill will be remembered. We still talk about the black ball final 35 years on. Ebdon v Dott was drab, but close and was mentioned the other day, 14 years on. Surely when he retires the fact we'll have a tighter more competitive field will keep people interested.

You say Wilson and mcgill will be remembered but I'd argue in terms of quality and drama that the osullivan v Selby semi was more entertaining. History of disliking each other, Ronnie whacking balls around almost literally throwed in the towel 2 down with 3 to play then plays flawless no miss snooker for 3 frames. Add to that they're 2 of the big names and 9 world titles between them. He's had plenty of memorable finals as well. 

42 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

You say Wilson and mcgill will be remembered but I'd argue in terms of quality and drama that the osullivan v Selby semi was more entertaining. History of disliking each other, Ronnie whacking balls around almost literally throwed in the towel 2 down with 3 to play then plays flawless no miss snooker for 3 frames. Add to that they're 2 of the big names and 9 world titles between them. He's had plenty of memorable finals as well. 

I think you've missed the point, and done the classic of picking one thing and zoning in on it. People say the sport dies whrn Ronnie quits, but close matches are what people enjoy, whether it him playing or not, that was the point.

Edited by Facecloth

15 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I think you've missed the point, and done the classic of picking one thing and zoning in on it. People say the sport dies whrn Ronnie quits, but close matches are what people enjoy, whether it him playing or not, that was the point.

Yes they want close matches but you don't know they're going to be close when you buy a ticket or tune in, people buy tickets and tune in to watch Ronnie play.  Snooker won't die without him but it will be a little duller.

3 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Yes they want close matches but you don't know they're going to be close when you buy a ticket or tune in, people buy tickets and tune in to watch Ronnie play.  Snooker won't die without him but it will be a little duller.

I'd say people who like the game tune in whoever is playing.

The long format of the world championship either helps or hinders things depending on the type of match. When there is a close match with a lot of drama or a great comeback there is nothing better. Huge wins are only fun if its one of the best in the world on their A or B game such as Trump in last years final and O'Sullivan in this year'd final. Error prone matches were someone maintains a 4 or 5 frame lead are the worst.

31 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

well that's just it, Ronnie created snooker fans.

Er no he didn't. Snooker gained a huge following in the 1980's before he started playing.

Edited by Facecloth

23 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

OK Ronnie has never attracted any fans.

Bizarre.

Not saying that, I'm saying the sport won't die without him. You've just claimed he created the whole concept of people liking the sport!

Edited by Facecloth

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Not saying that, I'm saying the sport won't die without him. You've just claimed he created the whole concept of people liking the sport!

I never said that.  And i agreed the sport wouldn't die after he left. You do know I meant new snooker fans not every snooker fan:D

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

I never said that.  And i agreed the sport wouldn't die after he left. You do know I meant new snooker fans not every snooker fan:D

You'll be surprised how many he turns off from the game too. I certainly don't go seeking out his matches to watch and I know others who are the same.

25 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Seems that the BBC are showing the World Seniors Championship starting this Wednesday. 

Hendry, White and Taylor are the main attractions as well as Doherty. Thought McManus might be there but seemingly not. 

Don't think he's ever played in the seniors has he? Obviously feels he can still compete on the main tour.

9 hours ago, The Bear said:

I just watched Jimmy White beat Joe Johnson 4-1. Johnson was appallingly bad. His highest break of the match was 13!!! **** knows how he even won a frame. 

Shame Jimmy very rarely plays to that level  on the main tour 3 breaks of over 70.Yep Johnson was awful expect the same with Dennis Taylor today they still have an OK safety game and make the odd good pot but seem unable to make a sizeable break because they have such awful control over the cue ball. Wonder why Steve Davis never plays in these events?