Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

World Snooker Championship 2020

10 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Precisely for all the reasons you've just listed. Snooker can be a staid and lifeless affair at times. Peter Ebdon world champion anyone? He's probably the most gifted player ever to play the sport. Yes, he's a ****. Yes, you wonder what he could have achieved with a classically respectable mentality, but he's fun, unpredictable and still brilliant at playing snooker.

Fair enough. I can see the entertainment value, I just find him distinctly unlikeable. And I can't stand the way he tries to ridicule the sport that has made him rich, and distance himself from it, whenever he feels he's not on good form. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Why does anyone actually like/support Ronnie O Sullivan? He gives up when things aren't going well, he's ungracious, has no respect for other players, is a sore loser and on top that seems the luckiest player alive. Maybe I don't know enough about snooker but he seems an utter bell.

He’s always come across as a bellend.

But I’ve seen him live a couple of times and there’s a simple reason why he gets so much support, because he is the most entertaining player to watch, simple as that.

Snooker is a sport that can be dubbed as boring, that’s why so many tend to support the players that actually make the game fun and watchable, Ronnie of course tops that list 

Like him or hate him, I’d easily advise any Snooker fan to go and watch him live, even when not playing great, he’ll magically do something out of thin air that proves why he is the most entertaining player to watch.

1 hour ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Why does anyone actually like/support Ronnie O Sullivan? He gives up when things aren't going well, he's ungracious, has no respect for other players, is a sore loser and on top that seems the luckiest player alive. Maybe I don't know enough about snooker but he seems an utter bell.

He's not the most likeable at all I agree (not many of the greatest are) 

Lucky this tournement possibly, he has been absolutely nowhere near his best but at the end of the day it's down to his opponents to turn up on the day and show they aren't intimidated by the "Ronnie" factor.

Id rather he didn't become a six time champ but i also won't begrudge him it if he is able to just rock up, barely get out of 2nd gear and nab 500k in the process

Edited by EastAnglianFox

He's a bit disrespectful to the lower ranked players but he always shows a lot of respect to the top players. The talent he has means the lower ranked players are just flies buzzing round a fighter plane in comparison. Its not surprising he gets a bit arrogant towards them. 

He is actually a decent guy if you watch him away from Snooker. His upbringing is quite well documented as well as his depression over the years which can quite sadly turn you into a cynical old b*stard. He sorted himself out with all of the Steve Peters stuff as well as getting hooked on running (which is a better addiction than some other former snooker players had lets say). He has this unbelievable talent, but also I think the sport has broken him several times so he's ambivalent towards it these days, especially with regard to matchroom and the almost constant 24/7 touring that goes on. 

His fanboys are irritating though.

Felt a bit for Wilson, a couple of in-offs and it could've been different. If it was 9-8 O'Sullivan is in real trouble, 10-7 isn't a convincing lead but a lot of work for Wilson to do. 

Really enjoy Stephen Hendry's commentary- no hyperbole, just great analysis that a top player can and should bring.

Any combination of Hendry, Taylor and McManus in the commentary box is excellent.

Parrott, Davis and Doherty are likeable but they just aren't as good as those I've mentioned. Perry and Ebdon are crap.

As ever, Jason Mohammed has been a very solid presenter though Hazel Irvine will be good to have back as the main snooker host.

JV hasnt been missed at all in this tournament I feel.

Hope Ronnie overall but want Kyren Wilson to win this mini session 3-1.

Wilson needs to start taking some of the half chances like he's had in this frame or we'll be looking at a very short session tonight. Positional play has been poor today sadly.

Edited by Nalis

22 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Any combination of Hendry, Taylor and McManus in the commentary box is excellent.

Parrott, Davis and Doherty are likeable but they just aren't as good as those I've mentioned. Perry and Ebdon are crap.

As ever, Jason Mohammed has been a very solid presenter though Hazel Irvine will be good to have back as the main snooker host.

JV hasnt been missed at all in this tournament I feel.

I like Ken Doherty too. 

Can't beat Seema as host though. 

6 hours ago, The Bear said:

I agree with that last sentence. Hearing people coo and oooooh and ahhhhh over every little thing he does is annoying. 

I hate the C'mon Ronnie" shouts too. Especially like just then when Wilson missed, already 16-8 down and almost certain to lose the final. Wilson must be feeling it right now, he doesn't need dickheads in the crowd shouting encouragement to the guy beating him comfortably.

Shame after such an exciting tournament that treated us to two Semi Final classics, it finishes by delivering us one of the most one sided boring finals ever.

Kyren might have to hop on Amazon and buy himself some cue ball control.

• Like 1