Jump to content
tom27111

Lambrettas & Vespas

Recommended Posts

Anyone got one? Had one? Know anything about them?

 

I had a couple in the late 90's, one Lambretta and one Vespa.

 

I'm now seriously considering getting another one. I'm not a hard-core mod, just like them.

 

I'm after some advice if possible...

 

I'm not very mechanical, so how much would it cost for a new engine? To fix a seized engine? To have one stripped down and resprayed?

 

Struggling to find reliable info on Google.

 

Is it better to spend more on a restored one, or would it be better to buy one in need of work and get someone to do bits for me?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

My parent's company did PR for Piaggio for many years, my dad is very bike & scooter knowledgeable too so I'll see if they can point you to the right people over the weekend.

 

Thank, appreciate that. I've seen 1 for 3 grand that needs a spray job, but it works perfectly fine. I've seen another that has a seized engine and needs a paint job for £1250...so looking to see what makes more sense.

 

Don't want to spend more than 3k initially, but would like a decent runner for that money.

 

But a spray paint could cost a grand anyway! 

 

Definitely after a Lambretta over a Vespa. A TV or SX is the dream, but realistically, it'll be an LI.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

 

Thank, appreciate that. I've seen 1 for 3 grand that needs a spray job, but it works perfectly fine. I've seen another that has a seized engine and needs a paint job for £1250...so looking to see what makes more sense.

 

Don't want to spend more than 3k initially, but would like a decent runner for that money.

 

But a spray paint could cost a grand anyway! 

 

Definitely after a Lambretta over a Vespa. A TV or SX is the dream, but realistically, it'll be an LI.

Should get a decent vespa for under 3k, Lambretta will be more expensive but should still get a reasonable one for 3k.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the one for £1250.

 

It's a silver special. Yes, it's seen better days, but the body is solid and not rotten and the engine is seized.

 

Could it be fixed for £2000ish with the right contacts?

 

If it could, there's potential to make money on it too.

Screenshot_20200814-235755_Facebook.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tom27111 said:

This is the one for £1250.

 

It's a silver special. Yes, it's seen better days, but the body is solid and not rotten and the engine is seized.

 

Could it be fixed for £2000ish with the right contacts?

 

If it could, there's potential to make money on it too.

Screenshot_20200814-235755_Facebook.jpg

What are the engine specs? 
I’m not a trained mechanic either but I’ve learned how to work on 2 stroke engines from YouTube, since my lad got into motocross.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Strokes said:

What are the engine specs? 
I’m not a trained mechanic either but I’ve learned how to work on 2 stroke engines from YouTube, since my lad got into motocross.

 

I believe it's a 150cc and all I know is it's seized.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tom27111 said:

 

I believe it's a 150cc and all I know is it's seized.

Single cylinder 2 stroke. Dead easy mate.

You should be able to strip it and replace all internals within a couple of hours.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You basically need to do this but remember getting the old cylinder off won’t be as easy, as the piston will most likely be fused to the side.

Try and free it up by spraying wd40 in to the cylinder (remove the spark plug) and working the crank.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/08/2020 at 14:56, Strokes said:

You basically need to do this but remember getting the old cylinder off won’t be as easy, as the piston will most likely be fused to the side.

Try and free it up by spraying wd40 in to the cylinder (remove the spark plug) and working the crank.

 

Thanks mate, I would still be absolutely useless though!

 

Just realised, I sell cars for a living and we have mechanics that work at the same site! 

 

I'll ask them for a quote. I know they'll get parts at cost or tell me what to order and do me a cheap labour rate.

 

Depends how well they know a 2 stroke engine. Most things now involve plugging in a diagnostic machine!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

 

Thanks mate, I would still be absolutely useless though!

 

Just realised, I sell cars for a living and we have mechanics that work at the same site! 

 

I'll ask them for a quote. I know they'll get parts at cost or tell me what to order and do me a cheap labour rate.

 

Depends how well they know a 2 stroke engine. Most things now involve plugging in a diagnostic machine!

They’ll know 2 stroke fine mate, go too the older boys though as it will be bread and butter to them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Strokes said:

That isn’t in bad nick to be fair.

 

Pick it up in a couple of weeks. MOT and Tax exempt.

 

Need to register it with the DVLA and get an age related plate.

 

Plan is to spruce it up a bit, get it sprayed and service the engine, then maybe make a few quid and do it all over again with a Lambretta :thumbup:

13359300.jpg

13359302.jpg

13359310.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...