Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 21/09/2026 at 22:25, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The mental gymnastics of working class people that hate Labour, now trying to convince themselves that a capital gains tax increase will affect them, and that the personal allowance going up would somehow be bad for them, is a curious one! 

Richard 'stupid' Tice has pitched the idea of inheritance tax, stamp duty and capital gains tax being three for huge changes..... All of which very clearly would benefit the wealthiest the most.

Edited by CornwallFox
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

To be fair, I'm generally left leaning, but I think inherentance tax is a bit silly in this day and age where thd birth rate is on the floor and young people cant get jobs or buy houses and 40-50% of 25 year olds still live with their parents and a lot of younger people do need "the bank of mum and dad". I don't think it helps the feelings of intergenerational unfairness.

 

I mean, if you want people to actually have children again with the birthrate on the floor like it is, youve got to increase incentives to be able to make a good life for your children and pass it on to them.

 

Even the high tax nordic countries have scrapped inheritance taxes.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1
Posted
24 minutes ago, CornwallFox said:

Richard 'stupid' Tice has pitched the idea of inheritance tax, stamp duty and capital gains tax being three for huge changes..... All of which very clearly would benefit the wealthiest the most.

And leave them needing to increase tax on the more general public.

Posted
27 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

And leave them needing to increase tax on the more general public.

But apparently also raising income tax thresholds, though they've rowed bank on that a bit. 

Reform are utterly full of the brown stuff.

  • Like 1
Posted

Two things are inevitable - death and taxes. We're taxed to death whilst alive then taxed again after death. Great!

My advice is to be sensible with money until about retirement age, then splash the cash like there's no tomorrow.

Economists call this deferment of gratification.  

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Sampson said:

To be fair, I'm generally left leaning, but I think inherentance tax is a bit silly in this day and age where thd birth rate is on the floor and young people cant get jobs or buy houses and 40-50% of 25 year olds still live with their parents and a lot of younger people do need "the bank of mum and dad". I don't think it helps the feelings of intergenerational unfairness.

 

I mean, if you want people to actually have children again with the birthrate on the floor like it is, youve got to increase incentives to be able to make a good life for your children and pass it on to them.

 

Even the high tax nordic countries have scrapped inheritance taxes.

I sometimes wonder what if we had 100% death taxation and everybody started with £100k in a bank account and their own skills to make a life for themselves. 

 

Re your point I think the issue is that capitalism is reaching it's end point - the % of GDP going to wealth has grown and grown, the entire economy is based on making wealth wealthier and ordinary people are really struggling. Letting ordinary people keep a bit more isn't going to fix that and letting the richest keep everything just increases the problem. Can we not increase the starting point to £5m and then increase the rate massively from there.

Edited by CornwallFox
Posted

I respect anyone who still follows the news. I know this is probably a bad way to think but I’m finding myself reading stories and my first thought is I genuinely just don’t care. 
 

Like all the Ed Sheeran stuff. I kept seeing it and I just thought who the hell cares about this. Maybe my feeling is more towards celebrity news actually.

 

Or I’m just burnt out. Probably that. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Rubbersoul said:

I respect anyone who still follows the news. I know this is probably a bad way to think but I’m finding myself reading stories and my first thought is I genuinely just don’t care. 
 

Like all the Ed Sheeran stuff. I kept seeing it and I just thought who the hell cares about this. Maybe my feeling is more towards celebrity news actually.

 

Or I’m just burnt out. Probably that. 

It's understandable to burn out, given the way things are now and the amount we know about it.

 

But, if it is possible, try to rage against the dying of the light, because without decent people knowing and acting towards the future, the only future is where the powerful abuse that power all the more, shortly followed by the void. For everyone.

 

Believe me when I say this isn't any kind of obligation btw, but the more help, the better chance change has.

Posted
18 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It's understandable to burn out, given the way things are now and the amount we know about it.

 

But, if it is possible, try to rage against the dying of the light, because without decent people knowing and acting towards the future, the only future is where the powerful abuse that power all the more, shortly followed by the void. For everyone.

 

Believe me when I say this isn't any kind of obligation btw, but the more help, the better chance change has.

Wise words. 
 

I still try to stay in the loop but it’s a struggle. 

  • Like 1
Posted
1 minute ago, Rubbersoul said:

Wise words. 
 

I still try to stay in the loop but it’s a struggle. 

It really is, possibly more so now than at any time in living memory. 

 

But, to quote Tolkien, "they cannot conquer forever!"

Posted
10 hours ago, Rubbersoul said:

I respect anyone who still follows the news. I know this is probably a bad way to think but I’m finding myself reading stories and my first thought is I genuinely just don’t care. 
 

Like all the Ed Sheeran stuff. I kept seeing it and I just thought who the hell cares about this. Maybe my feeling is more towards celebrity news actually.

 

Or I’m just burnt out. Probably that. 

In a similar situation myself, but don't conflate actual news with the saddos getting upset over the Ed Sheeran "situation".  

  • Like 4
Posted
6 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

In a similar situation myself, but don't conflate actual news with the saddos getting upset over the Ed Sheeran "situation".  

True. I’m struggling to care about anything though to be honest. It gets a bit tedious hearing about how Trump has embarrassed himself for the 100th time. Or which celebrity is patting themselves on the back for pretending they care about Palestine. 

  • Like 1
Posted

Why are some people so militantly against solar power on houses? I've been looking into it so obviously my social media is now flooded with adverts. The comments are just ludicrous, saying "it'll never pay off", "they don't work" etc etc.

 

Why are people such Luddites? It's the same when I see adverts for S&S ISAs. "It's a scam", "the market goes down", "it doesn't keep up with inflation". No wonder people in this country are so easy to keep downtrodden.

  • Like 2
Posted
38 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Why are some people so militantly against solar power on houses? I've been looking into it so obviously my social media is now flooded with adverts. The comments are just ludicrous, saying "it'll never pay off", "they don't work" etc etc.

 

Why are people such Luddites? It's the same when I see adverts for S&S ISAs. "It's a scam", "the market goes down", "it doesn't keep up with inflation". No wonder people in this country are so easy to keep downtrodden.

My theory on this is largely that a lot of people are firstly afraid of change and wary of progress, wanting tomorrow to be just like today... and secondly that there's a lot of media output, social and otherwise, paid for by those who benefit from the status quo, looking to reinforce those ideas, and so people hear what they want to hear from them and then repeat it. 

 

It's a shame and something that needs addressing, as you imply. 

  • Like 1
Posted
10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

My theory on this is largely that a lot of people are firstly afraid of change and wary of progress, wanting tomorrow to be just like today... and secondly that there's a lot of media output, social and otherwise, paid for by those who benefit from the status quo, looking to reinforce those ideas, and so people hear what they want to hear from them and then repeat it. 

 

It's a shame and something that needs addressing, as you imply. 

Thing is it's hardly new technology, it's been widely available for what 15 years plus? You can literally finance them for less money a month than most people pay the energy companies for their electricity each month.

 

I can only assume it's similar to when people were slow on the uptake of the benefits of buying your own home rather than renting it off the council after right to buy etc was implemented.

Posted
Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Thing is it's hardly new technology, it's been widely available for what 15 years plus? You can literally finance them for less money a month than most people pay the energy companies for their electricity each month.

 

I can only assume it's similar to when people were slow on the uptake of the benefits of buying your own home rather than renting it off the council after right to buy etc was implemented.

I absolutely agree with you. It's wholly irrational, and there needs to be more public awareness info on media (social and otherwise) saying things along the lines of what you're saying here. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Thing is it's hardly new technology, it's been widely available for what 15 years plus? You can literally finance them for less money a month than most people pay the energy companies for their electricity each month.

 

I can only assume it's similar to when people were slow on the uptake of the benefits of buying your own home rather than renting it off the council after right to buy etc was implemented.

Similar to your post above unfortunately tht happy clappers have been easily manipulated again.

although the ‘market always goes down’ is a new one on me!!!! Where has that come from.

Someone was showing me a stat about solar panel generation in Texas (ie oil capital). Not sure how true it is but if they’re in on it, you know the rest. Solar is tumbling in price and appears to continue to be a solid investment 

  • Like 2
Posted

Rooftop solar is great (although I have a vested interest), macro solar has a few more issues but the sort of people that comment on FB ads are just the bottom of the barrel. They can't be reasoned with.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Rooftop solar is great (although I have a vested interest), macro solar has a few more issues but the sort of people that comment on FB ads are just the bottom of the barrel. They can't be reasoned with.

And it's a reasonable wager that most of them aren't real, anyway. 

  • Like 3
Posted
7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

And it's a reasonable wager that most of them aren't real, anyway. 

I think that’s it. Imagine being manipulated by a bot. Albeit we probably all are and I too have been at some stage 

Posted
21 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

And it's a reasonable wager that most of them aren't real, anyway. 

They are pretty obviously real profiles in most cases. They have real PFP, friends, listed, active elsewhere. The bots you do encounter are just so obvious 

Posted
20 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I think that’s it. Imagine being manipulated by a bot. Albeit we probably all are and I too have been at some stage 

 

6 minutes ago, Stadt said:

They are pretty obviously real profiles in most cases. They have real PFP, friends, listed, active elsewhere. The bots you do encounter are just so obvious 

No doubt at least some of them are real.

 

And then it circles back to the much bigger issue of the proliferation of digital information (and misinformation) and the effect that it's having on society, and how best to deal with it... which is a tricky one. 

Posted

Any solar is good. Even the newly legal balcony solar. You just have to be realistic how much each system saves you and the payback times involved. 

 

Everyone that can afford it should have them really and new house builds should come with it pre-installed. 

Posted
18 hours ago, Rubbersoul said:

I respect anyone who still follows the news. I know this is probably a bad way to think but I’m finding myself reading stories and my first thought is I genuinely just don’t care. 
 

Like all the Ed Sheeran stuff. I kept seeing it and I just thought who the hell cares about this. Maybe my feeling is more towards celebrity news actually.

 

Or I’m just burnt out. Probably that. 

I can't be bothered any more. I think the problem is that social media and billionaire fuelled media have created a political discourse that is all about how terrible everything is. If you look at immigration, a key example, taking students out of the numbers immigration is actually down to David Cameron's aim of tens of thousands - labour have cut it hugely in two years - yet the media and social media narrative is still how awful immigration is and labour is to blame! We live in an age where facts don't exist, everything is dialled up to ten in terms of pitting people against each other, and everything is catastrophised. I am struggling to be arsed but I think that's exactly what those oil magnates want when they fuel all this.

  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...