Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

2nd at Christmas Two Years running.

3 hours ago, HitchinFox said:

It seems that we aren't the only ones to have a rollercoaster season with unpredictable results.

100% right. I comfort myself with this when we have a shocker of a result/performance

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

its always good to take stock and enjoy these moments just in case things go to shit in the future.

Things will go tiits up in the future - hopefully not for a long time though. Damn right we should enjoy the great moments now.

2 hours ago, shailen said:

Yet people are not convinced by Rodgers. We're becoming a top club under him, it really is that simple. 

Some people focus tirelessly on his small negatives rather than his big positives. If he was an almost faultless manager he would be managing one of the European elite.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Ranieri took a group of players undeserving of a title and forged a team spirit and ethos that resulted in a title. 

Brendan is taking a bigger, more disparate group of players and is guiding them into a title challenger. 

The salient distance is that I think Ranners made the best of a bad hand and Brendan is building his own deck. 

That was all Pearson

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, shailen said:

Yet people are not convinced by Rodgers. We're becoming a top club under him, it really is that simple. 

I mean that meltdown in the second half of last season was really bad, i think a lot of our fanbase, myself included, were justified in questioning rodgers as he was showing a lot of the problems that he had 6 or so years ago with Liverpool with us. Fair enough to him he seems to have reflected well between seasons and managed to turn us around by approaching this season with more pragmatism but it was never guaranteed that he would do so, as shown by him not improving much as a manager in half a decade. Thankfully for us he has seemed more willing to adapt and improve his managerial approach but the writing on the wall was there for a christmas sacking as we've seen many times in the past managers struggle to turn around poor form between seasons.

We've had some brilliant performances and results so far, we've also had some very bad ones. Hopefully after Christmas when we've all our players back and round pegs are in round holes we'll stop conceding the soft goals and improve our home form. However you look at it, we've made a hell of a lot of progress in the last 5 years and an astonishing amount in the last 10. 

Top 4 three times at Christmas in 5 years is a far cry from loitering in the championship. 

Let's stay the course until the end of the season this year though. 

Still so much more to come as well from us. Maddison starting to find some form, Barnes still barely got out of 2nd gear yet in the league this season, returning key players from injury and the main man Ndidi. 

I'm trying to work out why the table is so bunched up right now from 2nd down to 9/10th and if this is likely to continue through the season, it's bloody Liverpool and Sheffield Utd's fault. If both won a few more then it would likely spread the league out a bit.

10 hours ago, honeybradger said:

I mean that meltdown in the second half of last season was really bad, i think a lot of our fanbase, myself included, were justified in questioning rodgers as he was showing a lot of the problems that he had 6 or so years ago with Liverpool with us. Fair enough to him he seems to have reflected well between seasons and managed to turn us around by approaching this season with more pragmatism but it was never guaranteed that he would do so, as shown by him not improving much as a manager in half a decade. Thankfully for us he has seemed more willing to adapt and improve his managerial approach but the writing on the wall was there for a christmas sacking as we've seen many times in the past managers struggle to turn around poor form between seasons.

We lost Ricardo and then Chilwell, Maddison and later Soyuncu due to injuries and suspension. We had to throw Justin, Thomas (both unexperienced) and Bennett in for a couple of games so whilst it was a fall from grace it was a difficult task to sustain that kind of form. United if I remember rightly finished the season in excellent form and that is the main reason they were able to catch us. Yes I agree Rodgers could have played it differently last season but we hardly had the quality with those players out to be able to win most games if I'm being brutally honest. 

This season we have signed well but the likes of Thomas and Justin especially have improved drastically alongside the resurgence of Mendy. It's like we've signed 5 or 6 new players so our squad depth has improved massively. Rodgers has taken a different approach to the bigger games which is nice to see but I think our quality is back to where it was the first half of last season with more depth so hopefully this time around it's more sustainable.