Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
adejo92

Fuchs Rum

Just now, Collymore said:

I presume rum is the only one out of the three (gin and vodka) that ages or you could keep for 100 years and then open? 

Rum does age, I think, but how well it would age would be questionable.

I'm not too clued up on that side of things, hopefully someone else would be.

I guess even If it was consumed as and when, the bottle would remain a collectors item with it being signed.

1 minute ago, adejo92 said:

Rum does age, I think, but how well it would age would be questionable.

I'm not too clued up on that side of things, hopefully someone else would be.

I guess even If it was consumed as and when, the bottle would remain a collectors item with it being signed.

Keep it tightly sealed and it'll be fine for months, if not years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

I presume rum is the only one out of the three (gin and vodka) that ages or you could keep for 100 years and then open? 

When people talk about aging of spirits its really their storage time in oak cask after distillation. All spirits are clear straight after distillation. The aging, or maturing spirit, then picks up colour and flavour from the wood...the longer in cask the more so. There is also a loss of a rough character from the distillate for whiskies and other brown spirits like rum.

White spirits (gin, vodka) are not aged I ie stored in barrel) and therefore are clear.

Rum can be made both ways, thus white and brown versions, or 'matured' in steel vessels so no colour pick up.

Once filled into bottle there is little change in flavour as there will no interaction with the glass.

When you see an age statement on a bottle, eg matured 8 years, that refers to minimum time product was stored in the cask.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, January47 said:

When people talk about aging of spirits its really their storage time in oak cask after distillation. All spirits are clear straight after distillation. The aging, or maturing spirit, then picks up colour and flavour from the wood...the longer in cask the more so. There is also a loss of a rough character from the distillate for whiskies and other brown spirits like rum.

White spirits (gin, vodka) are not aged I ie stored in barrel) and therefore are clear.

Rum can be made both ways, thus white and brown versions, or 'matured' in steel vessels so no colour pick up.

Once filled into bottle there is little change in flavour as there will no interaction with the glass.

When you see an age statement on a bottle, eg matured 8 years, that refers to minimum time product was stored in the cask.

So how long does it remain drinkable in the bottle? 

5 minutes ago, Collymore said:

So how long does it remain drinkable in the bottle? 

Theoretically a life time if not longer. Couple of caveats

can get problems with the cork, which can dry out, leak, go mouldy and give off notes

for things like gin, particularly in clear bottles, I would store in the dark as light can degrade some of the flavours

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2