Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

Fulham 0-2 LCFC - Post-Match Thread

13 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...do you feel we are more pragmatic when we haven’t got the personnel available!!!

I get the impression that more thought goes into our set up and the players are instructed for certain purposes. 

I think with a full squad we would go toe to toe with Man. City as opposed to playing them on the counter with a "low block".

There are different ways of approaching the game as there are teams with different styles of play, I am not sure if we look at our games in this way.

I think you are right. Witness the part of the season where we had to play 5 at the back essentially because we had so many defenders out. I'm not sure even with a full squad we would go toe to toe with Man City though. I think Brendan has actually been a lot more flexible with his approach this season.

2 minutes ago, reynard said:

I think you are right. Witness the part of the season where we had to play 5 at the back essentially because we had so many defenders out. I'm not sure even with a full squad we would go toe to toe with Man City though. I think Brendan has actually been a lot more flexible with his approach this season.

Remember we beat Manchester City away 5-2 without The likes of Ricardo, Ndidi, Maddison and Cags.

Our first 11 can compete with Manchester City and Liverpool and co, squad depth wise yes we need to improve. But these are exciting times ahead for us

5 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Remember we beat Manchester City away 5-2 without The likes of Ricardo, Ndidi, Maddison and Cags.

Our first 11 can compete with Manchester City and Liverpool and co, squad depth wise yes we need to improve. But these are exciting times ahead for us

.....what I am saying was that going toe to toe with Manchester City is not a good idea and circumstances forced us to play in another way!!!

When we go up against Liverpool we always get schooled, do we need to go more defensive and tactically more aware when up against these teams?

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....what I am saying was that going toe to toe with Manchester City is not a good idea and circumstances forced us to play in another way!!!

When we go up against Liverpool we always get schooled, do we need to go more defensive and tactically more aware when up against these teams?

You’re absolutely right if we go toe-toe they would rip up apart our approach in that game against Manchester City it was perfect, against Liverpool it was a bad game mentally we were fragile.

Little question for the stattos - now we're most likely safe, what's the longest stretch we've done in the top flight without relegation? We anywhere near a record or have we already broken it given our previous yo-yo club status?

By my working out we did six years during the Palace Playoff to Tater Peeler era. Not sure we ever topped that without going way back before my time tbh.

This will secure an 8th year in the top flight. Crazy to think it's been nearly a decade since we played Championship football.

:scarf:

17 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Little question for the stattos - now we're most likely safe, what's the longest stretch we've done in the top flight without relegation? We anywhere near a record or have we already broken it given our previous yo-yo club status?

By my working out we did six years during the Palace Playoff to Tater Peeler era. Not sure we ever topped that without going way back before my time tbh.

This will secure an 8th year in the top flight. Crazy to think it's been nearly a decade since we played Championship football.

:scarf:

Longest run was 1957 - 1969 apparently.  We also reached the FA Cup final on a couple of occasions during that time. I wasn't quite alive during those days, but my Dad reckons they were very good times for the club - probably quite akin to our current state. Let's enjoy this while the going is good.

• Like 2

Solid if unspectacular performance, would obviously prefer to have kept going at them in the second half but at no point did I feel overly concerned we wouldn't see the job through.

Nice to see Kelechi and Hamza get a bit of game time and aquit themselves well, Iheanacho in particular, he made a potentially tricky header look very easy!

Happy for the win but wow does this forum turnaround 180 degrees on a single match. It was Fulham and the second half we sat back against a bottom team. Half the time we were clearing the ball anywhere and couldn't string two or three passes together. A few of you dusted off your blue tinted glasses

• Like 1

Being a bit wiser than usual and posting after I've rewatched the highlights. Confirmed for me most of my older posts and impressions. Worried when i saw the team. We needed 3 points and could have fielded a stronger team . Perez body language better and he seemed more relaxed but his lack of pace, physique, and positional instinct mean for me, he'll never be a good first choice in any PL team. Too many times he's seen joggng slowly towards action he should have been in. Doing the things any pl player would do, but more slowly is not good enough.

Iheanacho is definitely a Pl standard player but too lazy for a PL team of our quality. He started well pressing from the whistle which highlighted to me he can do it, but almost never does effectively, took his goal well . Towards the end of the match his lack of effort was showing more and more.

Maddison is a puzzle ,he did many things well , and has the ability to always save his rating with an assist or a goal as someone else has posted.but as usual I expected more from him. His ball to Barnes for the goal against Leeds  was far more difficult than it looked . Barnes was moving fast and nearly surrounded but Maddison returned it to him perfectly. Watch it on the view from behind the goal and you'll see how difficult it was.Maddison is well worth his place. Hes stronger than he looks but if he wants to be a great player which he could be he needs to do some gym training and more fitness training, maybe in the summer I don't think he'd handle it now with all the matches.

Justin and Barnes will always be a threat in the penalty box. Soyuncu showed enough to see it would n't be stupid to employ him further forward., just as Fofana and he showed occasionally v Leeds but we can't afford another Leeds and Evans is the man to sort (on the field ) who and how many go forward. Kasper and Vardy both deserve to be captains , but I'd prefer an on field captain to enforce who goes forwrd and who takes set pieces and that has to be someone playing well forward of our goal and behind Vardy. Evans I think would have the player's respect. Brendan of course would be ideal but he's not on the pitch where Evans is more likely to see more. My feeling is against Leeds if Evans had been captain their second goal would not have happened. He realised the danger even before Perez or Maddison (not sure which) failed to foul or slide tackle the Leeds player breaking away. Hes already moving but too far away to catch Bamford despite a valiant try. I think the fouler /tackler should have been Perez . He was jogging and kept jogging, looking quite unperturbed.Apols to him if it was Maddison.

Everyone else good or excellent but we can't afford to fail to put out our strongest team for all the matches remaining. We need all the points we can get. That means JV  and Wilf are must plays, along with Barnes and Justin.

Sorry for length but included Leeds match as well. Usual disclaimer if BR disagreed with any of this I'm voting with BR , not me unless he picks unohu again.and even then I'm sure he'll have a good reason so I'd abstain.

Edited by Alan Frost
  • Like 1