Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filthyfox

Shameless plug for a new business

Christmas is coming!
Get your stamps from me!
48 2nd class stamps for £28.50 (inc postage), that's a saving of over £3.

48 1st class for £36.50, a saving of over £4

Send me a personal message if you would like to buy.

ps  Yes, I am serious, but I fully understand the comments below may not be 😂

I wish anyone luck with any new business venture.

Personally, we have pretty much given up sending Xmas cards to people. Seems such a waste of natural resources. We put some money in a charity pot instead. Plus, postage costs have gone up so much too (yes, hence you selling them cheaper).

7 hours ago, TamworthFoxes said:

I wouldn’t take this new business idea on Dragons Den!

They might actually like the premises of it, a lot of thought has gone into it.  But, no- it would take a lot of money put into it for it to be Dragon worthy. 

7 hours ago, Big Dave said:

I wish anyone luck with any new business venture.

Personally, we have pretty much given up sending Xmas cards to people. Seems such a waste of natural resources. We put some money in a charity pot instead. Plus, postage costs have gone up so much too (yes, hence you selling them cheaper).

Well spotted 😃

Thanks for your support.  Gold coins are also available 😉

9 hours ago, filthyfox said:

Christmas is coming!
Get your stamps from me!
48 2nd class stamps for £28.50 (inc postage), that's a saving of over £3.

48 1st class for £36.50, a saving of over £4

Send me a personal message if you would like to buy.

ps  Yes, I am serious, but I fully understand the comments below may not be 😂

OK bear with me if I'm being stupid here... (should maybe have this as my sig).

Is the business model for this enterprise that the business is bulk-buying stamps at current 1st class prices and waiting for the Post Office price to go up and then you sell stamps marked "1st class" (ie without a monetary value on) at a higher price, but still less than the new 1st class price at the Post Office ?

If so, kudos. 

No, I don’t need any stamps, thanks.

6 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

OK bear with me if I'm being stupid here... (should maybe have this as my sig).

Is the business model for this enterprise that the business is bulk-buying stamps at current 1st class prices and waiting for the Post Office price to go up and then you sell stamps marked "1st class" (ie without a monetary value on) at a higher price, but still less than the new 1st class price at the Post Office ?

If so, kudos. 

No, I don’t need any stamps, thanks.

In a nutshell... yes. I am also a collector, so the collection and the philately fetish is fed as well 😂

Also, sometimes not making a profit is a good thing for taxation purposes.

The aim will always be to undercut Royal Mail. (I can do gold Sovereigns too, but that's a little bit more niche).

This business is (well,  will shortly be) registered for tax.  Or rather I will be as a self employed person, also earning a normal wage elsewhere. I have 3 months from 15/9 to do this 😃

Edited by filthyfox
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

In a nutshell... yes. I am also a collector, so the collection and the philately fetish is fed as well 😂

Also, sometimes not making a profit is a good thing for taxation purposes.

The aim will always be to undercut Royal Mail. (I can do gold Sovereigns too, but that's a little bit more niche).

This business is (well,  will shortly be) registered for tax.  Or rather I will be as a self employed person, also earning a normal wage elsewhere. I have 3 months from 15/9 to do this 😃

Good luck with it. :)

And it would be remiss of me not to point out that, ahem, philately will get you everywhere (groan)

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Good luck with it. :)

And it would be remiss of me not to point out that, ahem, philately will get you everywhere (groan)

I LOVE that.  Maybe, eventually, when I have an office i  the Shard, I will use it as a strap line 😃

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, SkidsFox said:

Is this going to be run down, now the Post Office have decided to crack down on this practice (via using stamps with bar codes)?

Run down to an extent. The standard 1st and 2nd classes are difficult to source, however, the commemorative still have value.

So are these the barcoded ones you are selling? As I'm sure none barcoded (except commemorative ones) are no longer going to be accepted by the 31st of January and you have to swap them out? 

https://www.royalmail.com/sending/barcoded-stamps#:~:text=old stamps are%3F-,Use them up by 31 January 2023%2C or swap them,for the new barcoded ones.

Edited by hejammy
  • Like 1

On 24/12/2022 at 09:58, hejammy said:

So are these the barcoded ones you are selling? As I'm sure none barcoded (except commemorative ones) are no longer going to be accepted by the 31st of January and you have to swap them out? 

https://www.royalmail.com/sending/barcoded-stamps#:~:text=old stamps are%3F-,Use them up by 31 January 2023%2C or swap them,for the new barcoded ones.

I'm currently not selling.   The barcode change has stuffed me up royally 

I know a lot about stamps.  These changes ONLY effect 1st and second class standard stamps.

Every commemorative set (which I will probably end up selling), has two values-  the face value and collectors value.  As long as I can find bulk stamps and purchase at about 20% below face value, I can still operate, but the margin will be tiny.

On 24/12/2022 at 09:58, hejammy said:

I believe that's recently been extended to 31 July 2023.