Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Sky Glass - streaming TV with no satellite dish

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58828822

British broadcaster Sky is launching a TV that streams content via the internet, removing the need for a satellite dish.

The company describes Sky Glass as a "no-fuss" streaming TV.

One expert said it would put the broadcaster in direct competition with TV makers such as Samsung and Sony.

Another said while ditching the "outdated satellite dish" was long overdue, it was "an expensive way to watch TV".

Sky Glass eliminates the need for an external box - and with built-in Dolby Atmos, there is no need for a sound bar either.

Other specs include:

three versions - 43in, 55in and 65in
a single wire and just one plug
4K ultra-high-definition quantum-dot screen
10-bit high dynamic range to support Dolby Vision HDR
voice-activated interface
available in five colours
"Sky Glass is the streaming TV with Sky inside, providing the total integration of hardware, software and content," group chief executive Dana Strong said.

"We believe this is the smartest TV available."

Although it will require a Sky subscription, content from BBC iPlayer, Amazon, Netflix, Disney+, ITV Hub and All4 will also be available.

Sky has not yet named the hardware partner who will make the device.

It has also not explained how exactly it plans to stream its content over the web, without delays or buffering.

If someone wishes to cancel their Sky subscription after purchasing the TV, they will still be able to use the TV but will lose some of the more advanced features, such as voice control and playlists.

'Extremely lucrative'
While the move to deliver content over the internet rather than via satellite would bring "its own challenges", Sky's decision made a lot of business sense, independent technology analyst Paolo Pescatore said.

"By not having a satellite dish, you lower costs and increase margins," he said.

"Providing your own TV set and persuading people to sign up for a subscription, that is extremely lucrative for Sky."

Woman in living room with Sky Glass
IMAGE SOURCE,SKY
Image caption,Sky is hoping the lack of wires and external boxes will appeal to users
In future, Sky may offer discounts on the TV with its broadband offerings too, he said.

Sky already offers TV via broadband in Italy, and Germany, via its Sky Q set-top box.

This bolder move into hardware would also put it in direct competition with TV-makers such as Samsung and Sony, who bundle Sky content with their devices, Mr Pescatore said, and hasten "the demise of the set-top box".

The TV can either be paid for as part of an existing subscription or bought outright.

Users who already have a £26 Sky Ultimate TV subscription will pay £13 extra per month for the smallest TV. The 55in screen will be £17 and the 65in £21.

Buying the smallest version of the TV upfront will cost £649 and will need an additional subscription to Sky. The larger versions will be £849 and £1,049 respectively.

Magic dust
That made it "an expensive way to watch TV," Ernest Doku, of Uswitch, said.

But he added the market was due a shake-up.

"It's about time that Sky sprinkled some magic dust over the outdated satellite dish," Mr Doku said.

"This all-in-one solution finally does away with the set-top box and dish, which historically have put off many potential customers."

Sky also claimed the Glass would be the world's first carbon-neutral TV.

Mr Doku said details about how it would achieve that "were thin on the ground" but added: "Encouraging consumers to get rid of working televisions in order to get Sky's version could generate a lot of unnecessary electronic waste."

The TV is available from 18 October in the UK, and in other markets next year.

An interesting proposition this…. Gets rid of the dish (which I don’t like)…. Would like the puck instead of my boxes, but, you need the tv first I understand 

I have been advised that it says that it comes with a £26 Sky Exclusive/originals package + Netflix (presumably the HD £9.99 package) for £34 per month, so anyone paying for both basic Sky and Netflix is getting a free TV and saving £2 per month – based on 55 inch TV for 24 months…

Edited by Wolfox

42 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

An interesting proposition this…. Gets rid of the dish (which I don’t like)…. Would like the puck instead of my boxes, but, you need the tv first I understand 

I have been advised that it says that it comes with a £26 Sky Exclusive/originals package + Netflix (presumably the HD £9.99 package) for £34 per month, so anyone paying for both basic Sky and Netflix is getting a free TV and saving £2 per month – based on 55 inch TV for 24 months…

The Sky website could be clearer, so I checked this article https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/how-much-does-sky-glass-cost-4171715

The price for the TV is in addition to the £26 TV package. The cheapest package is £39 per month for the small TV (48 month contract)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

The Sky website could be clearer, so I checked this article https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/how-much-does-sky-glass-cost-4171715

The price for the TV is in addition to the £26 TV package. The cheapest package is £39 per month for the small TV (48 month contract)

The specs of the TV aren’t exactly outstanding either. I’ll probably continue to just pay for iptv and then the streaming services. I can’t see this being the reason that paid for scheduled tv sucks me back in.

2 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

But my current TV streams things?

I really don't see the purpose of this. Seems a last desperate grab by them for relevance. 

I think the idea is ok - a TV with a decent sound system built in (and Sky, without additional hardware)

But the TV is a lot bulkier than other models on the market, supposedly doesn't have particularly good picture quality, and doesn't really offer any financial incentive other than the ability to spread the cost of the TV with 0% interest. Plus you can already stream Sky legally with Now TV (no contract), and surely they offer a streaming subscription service already than doesn't need a dish/box? It's not exactly new territory

11 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Gotcha…. Thanks for clarifying!  I thought it sounded  to good to be true!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

But my current TV streams things?

I really don't see the purpose of this. Seems a last desperate grab by them for relevance. 

I can see it being great for people who may be transient in their work, are in rented properties, flats or own listed buildings.  There must be hundreds of thousands of people who want sky but cannot have a satellite dish.

• 2 years later...
7 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

So, has anyone gone ahead and got this? What’s it like?

I got it but sent it back, it was second rate compared to Sky Q recording was a pain and if I remember didn't keep long, also for me subtitles were hit and miss. Could wait to get rid of it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, davieG said:

I got it but sent it back, it was second rate compared to Sky Q recording was a pain and if I remember didn't keep long, also for me subtitles were hit and miss. Could wait to get rid of it.

2 hours ago, Turtles Head said:

We’ve got Sky Stream temporarily and it is awful compared to Sky Q

Thanks, I’ve got sky q at the moment and the lack of recording is something I don’t think I’d like, what was the picture quality and sound like? I’ve read it’s gone through an  update which has improved some things.