Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NaijaFox

Europa League: v Spartak Moscow (H) Pre-Match Thread

24 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

That's not true at all. Thomas has played as many games if not more than betrand this season and both have been largely poor. Vestergaard gets a chance because we've so few options at the back. If youri went and got a serious injury kdh would get far more opportunities as vestergaard has with fofana being injured.

And to say he's been a flop in English football ignores his last year at Southampton.

Equally the home grown status means players like choudhury and kdh are going to get more of a chance than they possibly deserve. Is someone seriously arguing that kdh and choudhury are better than praet and mendy? 

I play golf with a Southampton season ticket holder and my brothers best mate is a Saints fan and both of them or unequivocal in their analysis on Vestergaard. He's been an absolute disaster there, isn't suited in any way to English football. 

It's a curious one regarding KDH and Praet, he's evidently decided to get rid of a top class international (albeit one who hasn't exactly been that impressive here) for a progressive homegrown player. They aren't at the same level on paper and Praet would be the more sure thing but Rodgers evidently felt he could bring KDH through and was worth the effort in the long run. I still think he will do well here but he has to take his chance when they come, so far he's been ordinary. 

Mendy and Choudhury take it in turns to be utter dog shit. 

3 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

If Barnes is unavailable then its s good opportunity to play Lookman on the left wing where he's previously had most success. 

Really hope he's available, needs to build on his goal last week and then his 2nd half performance on Saturday. In fact that goes for both of them as it describes them both 😂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

He was the best centre mid for Luton yes, a poor championship side. I'm not digging him out I'm merely responding to the argument he's not been given a chance. He has and he's been average so can't expect to get much more of a chance with a fully fit midfield. And as for the 23s, I don't see how it's not relevant.

He was the 3rd highest rated centre mid in the Championship last season, not just the best at Luton.

7 minutes ago, turlo said:

needs bloody sacking then!

image.thumb.png.e1e6b8f649444a3bb839bb46fc3d5982.png

Would be fascinating if the said set piece coach supports zonal marking, I'd be staggered if they did given how bad we are at it. There's a mild improvement in us attacking set pieces IMO, we are getting better.

5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

He was the 3rd highest rated centre mid in the Championship last season, not just the best at Luton.

I always take that with a pinch of salt anyway. The computer generated ratings are always funny but even if we're taking that at face value it says little more than him being a top championship midfielder. We're a side with aspirations towards the top end of the Premier league, does that suggest he's deserving of more chances than he's had? And when he's had them has he suggested he should have more?

7 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I always take that with a pinch of salt anyway. The computer generated ratings are always funny but even if we're taking that at face value it says little more than him being a top championship midfielder. We're a side with aspirations towards the top end of the Premier league, does that suggest he's deserving of more chances than he's had? And when he's had them has he suggested he should have more?

I take his current chances with a pinch of salt because he has been thrown into games in rotated squads a month apart when he has barely played any football in between and has yet to be given a run of games to show what he can do (and I am blaming that on how underwhelming our start has been so we haven’t been able to risk resting Youri)

Do you honestly think the kind of game time KDH has had so far is a fair enough amount to judge him on?

If so I feel sorry for any of our players you are seemingly willing to write off after just 3 starts when our whole team has been rather underwhelming.

Seemingly unlike you I am willing to give our young players more than a few interspersed starts to show what they can do.

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I take his current chances with a pinch of salt because he has been thrown into games in rotated squads a month apart when he has barely played any football in between and has yet to be given a run of games to show what he can do (and I am blaming that on how underwhelming our start has been so we haven’t been able to risk resting Youri)

Do you honestly think the kind of game time KDH has had so far is a fair enough amount to judge him on?

If so I feel sorry for any of our players you are seemingly willing to write off after just 3 starts when our whole team has been rather underwhelming.

Seemingly unlike you I am willing to give our young players more than a few interspersed starts to show what they can do.

I'm not writing him off!

I'm merely saying he's had his chances and not taken them. Of course that could change over time. Currently I'm massively underwhelmed by him and see him as quite some distance off our starting midfielders and even ones we've sent on loan. I was massively disappointed by his performance against Brighton too. If he's given chances he'll have to take them if he wants to stick around, that's the level we're at.

8 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I'm not writing him off!

I'm merely saying he's had his chances and not taken them. Of course that could change over time. Currently I'm massively underwhelmed by him and see him as quite some distance off our starting midfielders and even ones we've sent on loan. I was massively disappointed by his performance against Brighton too. If he's given chances he'll have to take them if he wants to stick around, that's the level we're at.

Do you not think the chances he has been given are crap though? In general in those games the whole squads played poorly, he isn’t going to play his best when everyone around is also playing poorly

How is a young player ever going to get into a rhythm where they can play to their best when they get 1 appearance a month?

Edited by moore_94

40 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

If Barnes is unavailable then its s good opportunity to play Lookman on the left wing where he's previously had most success. 

Would have to be Perez on the right assuming he's fit. Hopefully he'll give Nacho a chance in the 10 role behind Daka as Daka will need close support as they won't play so open at the back like they did at home. 

Daka

Lookman   Nacho   Perez 

Schmeichel

Amartey    Evans   Soyuncu

Castagne     Tielemans   Soumare    Thomas

Perez       Daka      Lookman

with Maddison and Barnes out, it really limits our ability to play 4-2-3-1. 4-4-2 I really don’t like as our players are not disciplined enough to play it. Thomas I hate as a left wing back, but at least in a 3-4-3 he has someone to link up with on the left.