Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NaijaFox

Europa League: v Spartak Moscow (H) Pre-Match Thread

15 minutes ago, hejammy said:

One thing I've noticed in the last few games (except perhaps Vs Man U) - whenever we get a throw in, no-one seems to want the ball, there is very little movement, everyone pointing to someone else and no outlet for the thrower. I noticed this especially Vs Arsenal - not sure if this is a confidence thing or what it is?

...because we are useless at them!!!

Brought the issue up some time ago and a poster sent in a link to Liverpool (Klopp's) take on the benefit of knowing what to do when taking one and the advantage it affords them.

We are so poor that if you watch any throw in, it becomes a 50/50 as opposed to any advantage to us, and allowing the ball to bounce before the recipient just allows them to be too easily closed down. You have to get that ball directly to feet where there is instant control  or a lay off with the ball played on the floor.

I really think a player, like Vardy should be pushing the players to get them to react quicker with more urgency as Rodgers on the sideline cannot coerce the necessary hunger out on the pitch.

These players do not seem to have the gumption to take the initiative to take any responsibility on the pitch, they are all crying out for a leader, they will have to look for a long time.

• Like 2

Ward

Riccy P

Amartey

Vestergaard

Castagne

Ndidi

KDH

Lookman

Nacho

Barnes

Daka

These are not that good and that front 4 will be good enough to see these away. I mean these are really poor in comparison to us, I'd expect a full second XI to put them away at home.

We can kill this game in 20-30 minutes if we press hard and play at a fast tempo.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I really want to see Barnes start this one. Just got a feeling he will get us firing. Barnes/Daka/Vardy is as quick a front three as I can think of?

I Doubt he will Select Vardy. Maybe for the Bench...

1 hour ago, The People's Hero said:

Decided last minute to take my son to this - but seems you can only buy 1 ticket online and the site is also just playing up for me. Such a shame about lack of general availability; we really do need the expansion. You don't have to fill it every week.

Just phone the ticket office 

On 01/11/2021 at 09:35, Ric Flair said:

Do you not think its possible for us to play 4-4-2 with him as the ball winner but with the ask of being told to keep things simple?

I'm so torn on what the best set up is for us to try and get back to what we are capable of. There's now just as many questions as answers based on Saturday. Do we scrap the 2 up top and 3 at the back (please do that bit) in return for 2 wingers and 3 central midfielders? Can we put together a midfield that allows us to play 4-4-2 / 4-4-1-1 and excel against most teams? 

What I'm pretty set on is that 3 at the back from a defensive and general play point of view isn't reliable enough. We concede a lot of goals with an extra defender and the wingback seldom have good games. All that does happen is the front 2 are more involved and often our only source of goals bar the odd Tielemans screamer. Now that Evans has put a few games together and is building momentum, and Ndidi is back then we have to go to a back 4. It's just whether we go back to 4-2-3-1 (was better when it was a 4-1-4-1 with Ndidi purely a DCM) or if we can get Iheanacho in with Vardy or Daka.

Could the answer be the 4-2-4 that finished the arsenal match? With a bit of practice?

Back to 4-2-3-1 now Ndidi is back for me. Might be time to bring Perez back on the right :ph34r: Wasted somewhat out there but, it’s preferable to 3/4 wasted in the current 3 at the back system. Harsh on Lookman who’s looked decent when he’s been given a chance but just think we need Perez workrate and defensive contribution, although not opposed to Lookman starting in midweek as we can hopefully get away with it against Moscow.

Got to go strong for this one, and can then look to rest Evans, Youri, Wilf as and when depending how we’re getting on. 

Schmeichel

Castagne - Evans - Söyüncü - Bertrand 

Ndidi - Tielemans 

Perez  -  Iheanacho  - Barnes 

Daka 

against Leeds: 

Schmeichel 

Ricardo - Evans - Söyüncü - Castagne 

Tielemans - Ndidi

Perez  -  Maddison  -  Barnes 

Vardy

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

Ward

Riccy P

Amartey

Vestergaard

Castagne

Ndidi

KDH

Lookman

Nacho

Barnes

Daka

These are not that good and that front 4 will be good enough to see these away. I mean these are really poor in comparison to us, I'd expect a full second XI to put them away at home.

We can kill this game in 20-30 minutes if we press hard and play at a fast tempo.

...the difference in style of play will leave us struggling to contain them!!!

It is the difference in style that gets us off balanced.

19 minutes ago, SixtiesFox said:

Need to prioritize this. With our current defensive woes gaining a place in Europe via the PL let alone achieving a top 4 finish will be a long shot by Christmas, but back to back home wins in this competition will see us through to the last 16. Even if we do finish behind Napoli I fancy us in the knockout games particularly if we get our key defenders back in the new year.

Agreed. Would love a European Trophy to go with our collection  🏆

4 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Sweet; cheers mate. Someone might be missing school on Friday.

Hope he has a great time!

in complete contrast my friend who turns 40 soon will be joining me for her first ever football game (unless you count a match at Kettering town!)

Have a proper go at them with our strongest players. Let the Leeds game take care of itself as this takes priority and is a must win. Prefer to see us try to get into a winning position then use subs rather than Brendan's usual strategy, which is the opposite for this type of fixture..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Foxes96 said:

Back to 4-2-3-1 now Ndidi is back for me. Might be time to bring Perez back on the right :ph34r: Wasted somewhat out there but, it’s preferable to 3/4 wasted in the current 3 at the back system. Harsh on Lookman who’s looked decent when he’s been given a chance but just think we need Perez workrate and defensive contribution, although not opposed to Lookman starting in midweek as we can hopefully get away with it against Moscow.

Got to go strong for this one, and can then look to rest Evans, Youri, Wilf as and when depending how we’re getting on. 

Schmeichel

Castagne - Evans - Söyüncü - Bertrand 

Ndidi - Tielemans 

Perez  -  Iheanacho  - Barnes 

Daka 

against Leeds: 

Schmeichel 

Ricardo - Evans - Söyüncü - Castagne 

Tielemans - Ndidi

Perez  -  Maddison  -  Barnes 

Vardy

Ndidi twice in a week, just back from Injury? Soumare has to play Thursday, give Ndidi 30 mins at the end and start him Sunday. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SixtiesFox said:

Need to prioritize this. With our current defensive woes gaining a place in Europe via the PL let alone achieving a top 4 finish will be a long shot by Christmas, but back to back home wins in this competition will see us through to the last 16. Even if we do finish behind Napoli I fancy us in the knockout games particularly if we get our key defenders back in the new year.

I’m honestly amazed that a few think we have a chance of actually winning the Europa League. It was the same last season too. We are a very ‘young’, naive team in European competition and when the Champs League teams drop down it changes the whole dynamic of the Europa League. We would all love to see it, but it’s not going to happen by a long way!

19 minutes ago, MalletFox said:

I’m honestly amazed that a few think we have a chance of actually winning the Europa League. It was the same last season too. We are a very ‘young’, naive team in European competition and when the Champs League teams drop down it changes the whole dynamic of the Europa League. We would all love to see it, but it’s not going to happen by a long way!

Absolutely no one thought we would win the PL either. 

Anyway, remind me never to embark on a venture with you. lol

BTW, we did NOT prioritize the EL last season.

Thus, we largely played our reserves and focused instead on cracking Top 4.

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MalletFox said:

....that naivety comes from Rodgers, he has been in Europe for a few seasons and still struggles!!!

The worry is, if he is up to it...he keeps falling down and seems to fail to learn from the setbacks he has had. The best thing that could happen to Rodgers would be for him to work in Europe with a European coach to enable him to get to grips with the thought process and mentality of the coaches across the way.

11 hours ago, hejammy said:

One thing I've noticed in the last few games (except perhaps Vs Man U) - whenever we get a throw in, no-one seems to want the ball, there is very little movement, everyone pointing to someone else and no outlet for the thrower. I noticed this especially Vs Arsenal - not sure if this is a confidence thing or what it is?

Our throw ins now match our dead ball delivery  and dead ball  reactions against us. 

We are becoming very consistent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MalletFox said:

It really depends who drops out of the Champions League groups and who we get in that draw. I fancy us in a one-off game with everyone focussed - FA Cup final style - but I also see the flaw in the logic that we have to go for the EL win because our defence can't cope in the PL right now. If we struggle against mid-table Prem sides, then there's a few in the EL that will give us a proper rogering.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Absolutely no one thought we would win the PL either. 

Anyway, remind me never to embark on a venture with you. lol

BTW, we did NOT prioritize the EL last season.

Thus, we largely played our reserves and focused instead on cracking Top 4.

Yeah but we were consistently good when we won the league. If we pull through the group matches we’ve got time to turn it around though.

3 hours ago, MalletFox said:

Someone’s got to win it, Villarreal won it last year and I don’t think they are that much better than us.  Braga got to the final a couple of seasons ago.

No one is saying it’s an easy win, but on our day there is no one currently in the competition that I fear. Of the teams currently in third place in their group only Inter would scare me.