Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phil Bowman

Overrated bands/artists

1 hour ago, Rain King said:

U2 are a weird one, dont think I've ever met anyone that says they like them when discussing music but they appear to be massive.

Angel of Harlem is the only song of theirs I really like, the rest is just dull.

They are a bit of a strange one. There was a time it wasn't sacrilege to say you liked U2. It may just be down to age for me. I was 15 when a punk pillock I knew at school first played Sunday Bloody Sunday to me and I thought it was brilliant (still love it now). I was 19 when The Joshua Tree was a massive selling album and their songs were everywhere and I was 23 when they released Achtung Baby. I suppose they were a big part of the soundtrack of my youth.

That wanes of course and they've released loads of horseshit since those days and Bono regularly makes a bit of a tit of himself, which doesn't earn them any new fans. Their stage shows were completely over the top, verbose and a bit self indulgent, but it made for a great show. They were also at the forefront of those mega stadium tours which are now commonplace. I think they have their place in music history, but I can equally understand why many (especially those under 40) just don't get them at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Deep Purple.

Utter self indulgent junk

At times - but technically superb, particularly Paice. Also, that's a hell of a sweeping statement for a band that has gone through so many changes. The more soulful style embraced by the mk.III and mk,IV line ups is completely different to the harder rock and prog that characterised the early seventies material. 

11 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

and a madman at the helm too.

You do realise that he left for good almost three decades ago? 

Not that they've been at all artistically relevant for many years before that, but still.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stadt said:

Does anybody really, really rate Kasabian? As in think they're one of the greatest ever? Pretty much everybody that likes them has seen them live and really enjoyed it, people take them at face value. They're a band people like because they produce catchy stadium rock, nobody bigs up their originality, composition or lyricism or anything like that. You see more contrarians on here say they're overrated than anything.

Think it was Caitlin Moran who described them (as a compliment) as the band that would be formed if dogs could form a band.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Line-X said:

At times - but technically superb, particularly Paice. Also, that's a hell of a sweeping statement for a band that has gone through so many changes. The more soulful style embraced by the mk.III and mk,IV line ups is completely different to the harder rock and prog that characterised the early seventies material. 

Hands up Sheriff, you got me. I was referring to the classic mk II line up.

I'd argue that none of the other line ups were rated highly enough (by enough people) to ever be considered over-rated, which is the point of the thread. We may differ on that, but that's ok.

I'm aware of the technical brilliance of each of that line up. I've seen Paice live half a dozen times with DP, Whitesnake and Gary Moore, Coverdale/Lord a handful of times, Gillan with DP and with his own band. I've also seen Blackmore and Hughes live with Deep Purple. I've liked plenty of their bands and projects since (and in between), just think they are over-rated as a collective, hugely. 

11 hours ago, Line-X said:

You do realise that he left for good almost three decades ago? 

Not that they've been at all artistically relevant for many years before that, but still.  

Yes, I was aware...

but Blackmore's Deep Purple is the Deep Purple really.

I was going to say 'argue differently', but I've seen your tireless devotion in other threads, and I don't want to get into a battle about Ritchie Blackmood that I really don't care enough about lol

I do like Come Taste The Band with Tommy Bolin, but isn't that seen as sacrilege by Purpleheads? It certainly was then. Maybe it's been re-evaluated since, I don't really keep up.

I will confess that I really don't know Morse era stuff, mainly for the reason given in your 2nd sentence above. That's on me.

I would be more than happy to give something a whirl if you'd care to recommended a post '94 album for me? I'm guessing from some of your posts in the music forum that we like a lot of similar artists, so I'd trust your judgement and give it a proper listen :thumbup: It won't change the fact that I think the classic line up is over-rated, but you might earn mk XXVI (or whatever it is) a new fan.

13 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Hands up Sheriff, you got me. I was referring to the classic mk II line up.

I'd argue that none of the other line ups were rated highly enough (by enough people) to ever be considered over-rated, which is the point of the thread. We may differ on that, but that's ok.

I'm aware of the technical brilliance of each of that line up. I've seen Paice live half a dozen times with DP, Whitesnake and Gary Moore, Coverdale/Lord a handful of times, Gillan with DP and with his own band. I've also seen Blackmore and Hughes live with Deep Purple. I've liked plenty of their bands and projects since (and in between), just think they are over-rated as a collective, hugely. 

Conversely, I would suggest that Mk.II was their strongest point - as a collective. 

Yes, I was aware...

but Blackmore's Deep Purple is the Deep Purple really.

I was going to say 'argue differently', but I've seen your tireless devotion in other threads, and I don't want to get into a battle about Ritchie Blackmood that I really don't care enough about lol

Frankly neither do I. And yes, minus Blackmore is not the definitive or right shade of purple. Lighter, of no doubt. 

I do like Come Taste The Band with Tommy Bolin, but isn't that seen as sacrilege by Purpleheads? It certainly was then. Maybe it's been re-evaluated since, I don't really keep up.

So do I - great album - Coverdale and Hughes sound great. But that direction. as you say, was much maligned by the 'machine heads'...and as great as Tommy was, you are right, it isn't really regarded as purple by the purists.  

14 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

I will confess that I really don't know Morse era stuff, mainly for the reason given in your 2nd sentence above. That's on me.

I would be more than happy to give something a whirl if you'd care to recommended a post '94 album for me? I'm guessing from some of your posts in the music forum that we like a lot of similar artists, so I'd trust your judgement and give it a proper listen :thumbup: It won't change the fact that I think the classic line up is over-rated, but you might earn mk XXVI (or whatever it is) a new fan.

Again, neither do I. The last album I heard was 'House of the Blue Light' and saw them on the accompanying tour. No idea about their material since 

On 05/01/2022 at 18:36, Duquesne Whistle said:

A lot have been covered already. Never been a fan of Floyd, The Doors or Queen, just don't really get the first two and Queen were just pretty shit really.  Zep I loved for a lot of years but I find previously loved albums like Zep II a hard listen now, except for a couple of songs. Maybe that's just age.I'd now say all these bands are over-rated.

Never used to particularly like Old Blue Arse in my youth, but I've grown to like a lot of Sinatra's stuff. His delivery and timing are 2nd to none. The album 'Songs for Swinging Lovers' is a classic.

The Clash, I like one or two but was never a big fan. I saw Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros live and it was alright. Some friends were insanely jealous I'd seen Strummer live, but I just don't get it. They certainly were influential, there's no denying that, but over-rated for me.

To the bloke who said earlier in the thread that he'll suffer Adele for the sake of his missus, what a hero lol 

I'm actually half serious, I love my missus, but not nearly enough to suffer listening to the nauseating drivel Adele releases. Great voice, wasted badly. You're a genuine Trojan and I hope your wife appreciates you. Fortunately for me, my missus hates her more than I do. I think she's hugely over-rated, or rather her music is.

Oh, and Foo Fighters are absolute dirge. There's a reason Grohl was behind the skins in Nirvana, he can't fvcking sing. 

Not surprised to see Kasabian and Coldplay on here either. I like songs by both, but dislike more than I like.

I don't have any problem with his singing voice, their music for the most part is just so mediocre. They do have some songs that I like. I am however a big fan of pretty much anything that Dave Grohl drums on. That Them Crooked Vultures album with Josh Homme and John Paul Jones was brilliant! Also, his drumming on Songs for the Deaf by QOTSA is sensational. He has a knack of writing drum parts that are actually very catchy.

• Like 3

On 06/01/2022 at 08:00, Duquesne Whistle said:

Deep Purple.

Utter self indulgent junk

and a madman at the helm too.

The Sky Arts interview with Blackmore is worth a watch. Changed my opinion quite a bit on him, plus he looks to have a great taste in Bavarian beers.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

In order!

1) Bob ****ing Dylan

2) Queen

3) Paul Weller

4) Adele

5) The Sex Pistols

Well your number 1 is wrong. He’s underrated if anything.

Or at least his best stuff is. His worst stuff is pretty dire to be fair. Maybe he’s both under- and over-rated!?

I’d agree with 2 and 3.

Haven’t heard enough Adele to comment.

Are the Pistols highly rated for their music, apart from Anarchy in the UK and God Save the Queen (which are both brilliant, as is Pretty Vacant)? I’ve always thought they’re celebrated more for their cultural impact, which is undeniable, even if the fuss around them seems completely absurd looking back at it from nowadays.

• Like 1

Go big or go home.

Elvis.

Yard stick I've gone for is thinking of artists that are huge but which I've never chosen to play them.  For all the discussion on Kasabian, U2, Queen etc. I've actually put their music on to listen and am therefore excluding them from the sights.  Never done this once in my life for Elvis so he's in the bin for me.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Go big or go home.

Elvis.

Yard stick I've gone for is thinking of artists that are huge but which I've never chosen to play them.  For all the discussion on Kasabian, U2, Queen etc. I've actually put their music on to listen and am therefore excluding them from the sights.  Never done this once in my life for Elvis so he's in the bin for me.

Ah, Elvis, bless him - there’s someone who had absolutely no quality control!

If you’re at all interested in discovering why you’re missing out, try the first album, imaginatively titled ‘Elvis Presley,’ or the early Sun Records sessions, or the 1968 ‘Comeback’ TV special. He really was something special. When he wasn’t either singing drivel or just going through the motions. Or, indeed, both.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Rod Stewart for me.

I can't believe he's sold 250 million records. I think he's pants.

Agreed, pretty much, although I don’t mind a bit of Faces - when I’m in the mood to get my early 70s pub rock vibe on, crack open some Watney’s or Double Diamond, but am not quite in the mood for vintage Quo…

5 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I don't have any problem with his singing voice, their music for the most part is just so mediocre. They do have some songs that I like. I am however a big fan of pretty much anything that Dave Grohl drums on. That Them Crooked Vultures album with Josh Homme and John Paul Jones was brilliant! Also, his drumming on Songs for the Deaf by QOTSA is sensational. He has a knack of writing drum parts that are actually very catchy.

I totally agree with everything you've said there (except the voice bit for me). I find them mediocre. 

I'd better whisper it, but I wasn't a massive fan of Nirvana either, but they did do a few absolute belters at least. 

Both of the other albums you mention are very good albums, so I don't have an individual problem with Grohl, just the Foo Fighters. 

5 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

The Sky Arts interview with Blackmore is worth a watch. Changed my opinion quite a bit on him, plus he looks to have a great taste in Bavarian beers.

Thanks, I'll search it out. Blackmore is an interesting character for sure, so it may give pointers towards some of his bizarre behaviour. 

I saw something on Deep Purple recently which had Paice, Lord and Gillian commenting, but not Blackmore. 

They absolutely didn't slag him off, just seemed more bemused at what drove Blackmore to his really, really black moods. 

Paice, who seemed a very nice and reasonable individual, just said absolutely anything could set Blackmore off and once it did, the rest of the day and sometimes whole weeks were written off. Lord and Gillian said similar things. 

Again, thanks, I'm sure I'll enjoy that if I can find it. Usually Sky Arts repeat everything so I'll keep an eye out.

5 hours ago, Phil Bowman said:

Well your number 1 is wrong. He’s underrated if anything.

Or at least his best stuff is. His worst stuff is pretty dire to be fair. Maybe he’s both under- and over-rated!?

I’d agree with 2 and 3.

Haven’t heard enough Adele to comment.

Are the Pistols highly rated for their music, apart from Anarchy in the UK and God Save the Queen (which are both brilliant, as is Pretty Vacant)? I’ve always thought they’re celebrated more for their cultural impact, which is undeniable, even if the fuss around them seems completely absurd looking back at it from nowadays.

On Dylan - It comes down to taste, I find that style of music unlistenable, no matter how good the lyrics are. So, to me, he is dull and overplayed.

As with most highly rated things in life, they are presumably highly rated for a reason, but if you don't see it or don't get it, it's a mystery.

See: Mr P.Pogba and Mr M.Rashford for a couple of football examples.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

I totally agree with everything you've said there (except the voice bit for me). I find them mediocre. 

I'd better whisper it, but I wasn't a massive fan of Nirvana either, but they did do a few absolute belters at least. 

Both of the other albums you mention are very good albums, so I don't have an individual problem with Grohl, just the Foo Fighters. 

See, I still love Nirvana. I think it in a way helps with my own insecurity as some who plays music in that you don't have to be a great musician to write great songs. I myself am a very limited musician and I find it quite comforting and inspiring ahaha

18 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

See, I still love Nirvana. I think it in a way helps with my own insecurity as some who plays music in that you don't have to be a great musician to write great songs. I myself am a very limited musician and I find it quite comforting and inspiring ahaha

Nirvana are one of those band that you tend to hear and then love not long after you’ve got into music, before you then go on to listen to something else because of them instead (such as The Pixies).

7 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Nirvana are one of those band that you tend to hear and then love not long after you’ve got into music, before you then go on to listen to something else because of them instead (such as The Pixies).

I mean, there are great bands and then there's The Pixies. Bloody love that band. 

• Like 1