Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phil Bowman

Overrated bands/artists

15 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

I’m not sure you need to get pissy in a thread about overrated bands to be fair lol 

It wasn't meant to be serious. Although sounds like you were when you dismissed an entire genre based upon the fact that it employs six (and twelve) stringed instruments. 

4 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Queen. Really good musicianship and very clever songwriting, but they are so cheesy! You can see why their songs easily translate to musical theatre. 

Might be unfair to call them overrated considering the first two points actually. I would just never listen to them because I think they are cheesy. 

1 hour ago, pleatout said:

Yep that'll be me.  Never understood the hype.  For every "Yesterday" there are numerous "octopus's gardens", "yellow submarines", "I am a walrus" that compete with agadoo and shaddup yer face for their purile nonsense.  

The "innovation" that lazy journos bang on about was by the Beatles own words copied from others.

Soz, just dont get it.

Glad Ive go that off my chest.

But then I dont get Led Zep or Elvis either.

They definitely lose credit for writing that. Has to be among the worst well-known songs ever written. 

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

But I think you've missed the point of my reply, namely that claiming Bowie, Prince and The Clash are over-rated is as misjudged as claiming that Walsh, Heskey, Izzet, Kante, Mahrez and Vardy are over-rated......towering godlike geniuses all 9 of them!

I think you’ve missed the point of my response to your reply…!! 😉

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

just as there are those who believe that Black Lace, the Bay City Rollers, Joe Dolce, Frank Sinatra, Mr. Blobby, Genesis or The Eagles represent the peak of musical achievement

Sinatra is brilliant. Not all the songs he did were brilliant, but he is always superb.

As for others you list here, the Eagles weren’t that bad. How can you not like that ridiculous guitar bit at the end of Hotel California??

And the best Rollers singles are classic teen pop done very well.

Genesis, though. Massively overrated tripe. I’d rather listen to Mr Blobby.

Coldplay aren't really rated though, everyone hates them.

Queen is an interesting one in that I think most people instinctively dislike them when they're young but recently I've begun to appreciate at least how musically talented and original they were, so you could argue they're underrated.

4 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

Does anyone remember when everyone got their new album free in their iTunes? I instantly deleted it when I saw it, but I still feel sullied.

Yeah, the digital equivalent of someone going door to door posting dogshit through letterboxes. I do NOT want my bandwidth being used for such drivel

Definitely agree on Kasabian. I like a few of their songs, but can't understand how so many people are obsessed with them

The Smiths/Morrissey. Terrible.

Not a fan of most indie but I can understand why people liked Oasis. But how did James sell any records, even to their own family? They're so upsetting you can't even request their songs at funerals

59 minutes ago, bovril said:

Coldplay aren't really rated though, everyone hates them.

Queen is an interesting one in that I think most people instinctively dislike them when they're young but recently I've begun to appreciate at least how musically talented and original they were, so you could argue they're underrated.

I mean, they sell-out stadiums worldwide. Of course they are rated. 

A lot have been covered already. Never been a fan of Floyd, The Doors or Queen, just don't really get the first two and Queen were just pretty shit really.  Zep I loved for a lot of years but I find previously loved albums like Zep II a hard listen now, except for a couple of songs. Maybe that's just age.I'd now say all these bands are over-rated.

Never used to particularly like Old Blue Arse in my youth, but I've grown to like a lot of Sinatra's stuff. His delivery and timing are 2nd to none. The album 'Songs for Swinging Lovers' is a classic.

The Clash, I like one or two but was never a big fan. I saw Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros live and it was alright. Some friends were insanely jealous I'd seen Strummer live, but I just don't get it. They certainly were influential, there's no denying that, but over-rated for me.

To the bloke who said earlier in the thread that he'll suffer Adele for the sake of his missus, what a hero lol 

I'm actually half serious, I love my missus, but not nearly enough to suffer listening to the nauseating drivel Adele releases. Great voice, wasted badly. You're a genuine Trojan and I hope your wife appreciates you. Fortunately for me, my missus hates her more than I do. I think she's hugely over-rated, or rather her music is.

Oh, and Foo Fighters are absolute dirge. There's a reason Grohl was behind the skins in Nirvana, he can't fvcking sing. 

Not surprised to see Kasabian and Coldplay on here either. I like songs by both, but dislike more than I like.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blueman1967 said:

Yes especially the 80's, and achtung baby album, seen them live twice as well  brilliant

Sensational stage show. I've seen them a couple of times too and they were very good. Bono is a prize tit of course, but that actually seems to help if you're a front man. I wouldn't listed to him blather on about World peace, but strike up Sunday Bloody Sunday and I'm all ears.

I still think The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby stand the test of time. There's other assorted tracks, but those albums represent their apex for me. 

They've done an awful lot of shite in the last 20 years though.

5 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

They definitely lose credit for writing that. Has to be among the worst well-known songs ever written. 

I think Yellow Submarine is rumoured to be a song about barbiturates, which were supplied in a yellow capsule form.

Doesn't make the song any better, but it was typical of the times. There was a lot of drug addled shit going on in the 60's and lots of songs were self indulgent garbage.

I don't agree with the other poster that, for every Yesterday, there's several Yellow Submarines. I think it's the other way around. I'm a Beatles fan though.

Unless you think The Beatles are the best band in history, then you're likely to think they are over-rated due to the esteem in which they are generally held I suppose.

2 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Sensational stage show. I've seen them a couple of times too and they were very good. Bono is a prize tit of course, but that actually seems to help if you're a front man. I wouldn't listed to him blather on about World peace, but strike up Sunday Bloody Sunday and I'm all ears.

I still think The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby stand the test of time. There's other assorted tracks, but those albums represent their apex for me. 

They've done an awful lot of shite in the last 20 years though.

U2 are a weird one, dont think I've ever met anyone that says they like them when discussing music but they appear to be massive.

Angel of Harlem is the only song of theirs I really like, the rest is just dull.