Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phil Bowman

Overrated bands/artists

Apologies if this has been done before.

By its very nature this is almost bound to make fans of those bands/artists a bit cross, but who have you always reckoned is just massively overrated?

I’ll get the ball rolling with three (and then maybe take to the hills for my own safety):

Bowie

Prince

The Clash

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Perhaps you could also start an "Over-rated LCFC players" thread, starting with Walsh, Heskey, Izzet, Kante, Mahrez and Vardy? :D

But that would be silly - those players are not overrated. They’re every bit as good and important as people say they are. Izzet, if anything, is probably underrated.

I must say, you seem to have missed the point of this thread, which is for people to put forward musical artists that, while loads of other people seem to regard them as towering godlike geniuses, they really don’t reckon they’re worth all the fuss.

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

Kasabian. They're not horrendous or anything but it truly blows my mind how they got so big. 

Exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. The three I said at the top - some of their stuff’s ok, I don’t hate them, but just don’t see how they merit the worship.

(Kasabian’s first album’s really good, mind…)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. The three I said at the top - some of their stuff’s ok, I don’t hate them, but just don’t see how they merit the worship.

(Kasabian’s first album’s really good, mind…)

It's their best one, for sure. I can't help but think that had they come 15 years earlier, nobody would have been bothered about them. They have gotten lost amongst all the 'Mad-chester' thing. 

2 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

And someone’s bound to say the Beatles.

Yep that'll be me.  Never understood the hype.  For every "Yesterday" there are numerous "octopus's gardens", "yellow submarines", "I am a walrus" that compete with agadoo and shaddup yer face for their purile nonsense.  

The "innovation" that lazy journos bang on about was by the Beatles own words copied from others.

Soz, just dont get it.

Glad Ive go that off my chest.

But then I dont get Led Zep or Elvis either.

49 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Kasabian. They're not horrendous or anything but it truly blows my mind how they got so big. 

Agreed. 

think that a lot of people on here only big them up because of the obvious Leicester City links

Oasis - half-decent first album aside they are absolutely awful and responsible for one of the worst types of British music, sing-a-long lad rock.

Doors - pretentious sixth form shite.

Kasabian - also mostly crap lad rock, though they are redeemed by some of their quite good singles and the fact they support LCFC.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Does anyone find listening to U2 to be even a remotely enjoyable experience? 

26 minutes ago, surrifox said:

beat me to it. A world wide phenomenon and never made a song I could stand . Completely up themselves too.

Does anyone remember when everyone got their new album free in their iTunes? I instantly deleted it when I saw it, but I still feel sullied.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil Bowman said:

But that would be silly - those players are not overrated. They’re every bit as good and important as people say they are. Izzet, if anything, is probably underrated.

I must say, you seem to have missed the point of this thread, which is for people to put forward musical artists that, while loads of other people seem to regard them as towering godlike geniuses, they really don’t reckon they’re worth all the fuss.

What's wrong with being silly? It's one of the great pleasures in life. ;)

But I think you've missed the point of my reply, namely that claiming Bowie, Prince and The Clash are over-rated is as misjudged as claiming that Walsh, Heskey, Izzet, Kante, Mahrez and Vardy are over-rated......towering godlike geniuses all 9 of them! 

Mind you, I fully accept that everyone is entitled to their own judgments. Just as you're entitled to your view of the 3 aforementioned artistes, I'm sure there's the odd (very odd) person who genuinely feels that those 6 LCFC heroes are over-rated, just as there are those who believe that Black Lace, the Bay City Rollers, Joe Dolce, Frank Sinatra, Mr. Blobby, Genesis or The Eagles represent the peak of musical achievement.... :D

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, bovril said:

Oasis - half-decent first album aside they are absolutely awful and responsible for one of the worst types of British music, sing-a-long lad rock.

Doors - pretentious sixth form shite.

Kasabian - also mostly crap lad rock, though they are redeemed by some of their quite good singles and the fact they support LCFC.

And the fact that their goal music was infinitely preferable to this horseshit:

• Sad 2