Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phil Bowman

Overrated bands/artists

On 05/01/2022 at 22:48, Duquesne Whistle said:

They are a bit of a strange one. There was a time it wasn't sacrilege to say you liked U2. It may just be down to age for me. I was 15 when a punk pillock I knew at school first played Sunday Bloody Sunday to me and I thought it was brilliant (still love it now). I was 19 when The Joshua Tree was a massive selling album and their songs were everywhere and I was 23 when they released Achtung Baby. I suppose they were a big part of the soundtrack of my youth.

That wanes of course and they've released loads of horseshit since those days and Bono regularly makes a bit of a tit of himself, which doesn't earn them any new fans. Their stage shows were completely over the top, verbose and a bit self indulgent, but it made for a great show. They were also at the forefront of those mega stadium tours which are now commonplace. I think they have their place in music history, but I can equally understand why many (especially those under 40) just don't get them at all.

Yeah they definitely have a couple of good songs. Sunday bloody Sunday and new years day are very good

• 3 weeks later...

I was reviewing a funk / soul compilation and a track came on with cool Starsky & Hutch-esque vibes, great funky bass, wah-wah guitar, lively but tight drumbeat, was absolutely loving it but then the sax player kept going off on one, it just sounded like a donkey in labour, painful to listen to, not that sweet "hey we're having a party" cool kind of sax, just a noise, absolutely did my head in. My verdict was lose the sax player and that's a great band you've got there. Flipped the CD case over to check who it was on that track...."Grover Washington Jnr" (He being the alleged legendary sax maestro) :jawdrop:

Maybe it was just muso's musical w*****g but it was just a racket to my ears.

And the genre of "Free form jazz"? Sounds like a band tuning up whilst someone chucks a drum kit down a stairwell, I think those Fast Show sketches summed it up well with the nodding and chin stroking from the host while they play a load of absolute b******s. "Niiiice"!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fazzyfox said:

I was reviewing a funk / soul compilation and a track came on with cool Starsky & Hutch-esque vibes, great funky bass, wah-wah guitar, lively but tight drumbeat, was absolutely loving it but then the sax player kept going off on one, it just sounded like a donkey in labour, painful to listen to, not that sweet "hey we're having a party" cool kind of sax, just a noise, absolutely did my head in. My verdict was lose the sax player and that's a great band you've got there. Flipped the CD case over to check who it was on that track...."Grover Washington Jnr" (He being the alleged legendary sax maestro) :jawdrop:

Maybe it was just muso's musical w*****g but it was just a racket to my ears.

And the genre of "Free form jazz"? Sounds like a band tuning up whilst someone chucks a drum kit down a stairwell, I think those Fast Show sketches summed it up well with the nodding and chin stroking from the host while they play a load of absolute b******s. "Niiiice"!

Careful, the Jazz musos' will be right on your case, telling you that you are uncouth and aren't clever enough to understand.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/01/2022 at 11:51, pSinatra said:

Adele

Same tune, different lyrics.

I will suffer it for the sake of the missus.  But if I ever hear her talking - fvck that.  God awful, over-exaggerated cockney.  Makes me want to break things.

Just catching up. Totally agree about Adele. If she is such a talented wordsmith why is she so potty mouthed. I'm a Londoner and can't abide her rabbit 

• Like 2