Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Leicester Mercury/ Leicestershire Live

It used to be much worse full of adverts but it's improved quite a bit in that respect especially if you use an AdBlock it's almost Ad free.

They do have some decent articles Jordan Blackwell puts in one on LCFC most weeks.

Today's main story - More than 120 ancient graves uncovered by archaeologists digging into city's past at Leicester Cathedral  - https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/gallery/more-120-ancient-graves-uncovered-7187925

Yesterday's - Download Festival 2022 gets underway at Donington Park in pictures - https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/gallery/download-festival-2022-gets-underway-7195189

You just have to be selective and not expect something that appeals to you every day.

It's generally poor because sales of the actual newspaper are nowhere near what they used to be so it's not really fair to complain about their Free website.

Besides most media outlets online are no better as they all suffer from a lack of real newspaper sales.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Are there any paper boys/girls anymore?

Reading this thread made me realise, I haven't seen one for yonks.

We get one in our Close not sure how often as I don't spend the day looking out the front window :)

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

We get one in our Close not sure how often as I don't spend the day looking out the front window :)

You made me sound pervy! :giggle:

Seriously though, they are far less common now, both morning's and evenings I reckon.

When I was younger we would all gather outside the newsagents with our bags collecting our rounds. Used to still notice paper kids doing that until approx. 10/15 years ago.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

You made me sound pervy! :giggle:

Seriously though, they are far less common now, both morning's and evenings I reckon.

When I was younger we would all gather outside the newsagents with our bags collecting our rounds. Used to still notice paper kids doing that until approx. 10/15 years ago.

I've still got a bad back from delivering the Sunday rags with all their periodicals weighing you down. Cycling with that load wasn't fun either.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's not just the Mercury, I presume this rag is part of the REACH portfolio.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/three-leicester-city-players-newcastle-24546260

Three Leicester City players Newcastle United could target amid Foxes' financial fair play fears
Leicester City could have to sell some of their key players this summer

ByLaurie Martin
08:00, 21 JUL 2022

Reports suggest that Leicester City could have to sell key players, like James Maddison, before they buy this summer.

Newcastle United's Premier League rivals Leicester City could have to sell players before they buy this summer, according to reports.

Leicester are the only Premier League club to have not made a signing this summer - and it's believed they are actively looking to shift players including; Boubakary Soumare, Jannik Vestergaard and Ryan Bertrand

The Telegraph have reported that the Foxes could sell their more valuable assets amid fears over financial fair play. As such, here are three Leicester City players Newcastle could target.

James Maddison
Maddison could potentially be up for grabs this summer, with Tottenham reportedly interested in the 25-year-old. The talented midfielder could fit well into Eddie Howe's three-man midfielder.

Brazilian duo Bruno Guimaraes and Joelinton look set to start in the engine room, but the third spot is up for grabs between the likes of Joe Willock and Sean Longstaff. However, Maddison could be the perfect option.

Nagelsmann on Barcelona and De Ligt.mp4
He will be looking to impress in the first few months of the 2022/23 campaign, with the former Coventry and Norwich man feeling as though he still has an outside chance of making England's World Cup squad for Qatar.

He also boasts a decent record when playing against Newcastle, scoring four goals and assisting two in his eight games against the Magpies.

Youri Tielemans
Another classy midfielder, Tielemans has been linked with the likes of Manchester United, Tottenham and Arsenal this summer. The 25-year-old has impressed in England since joining Leicester, making over 150 appearances for the Foxes.

He has already played nearly 32,000 minutes of senior football at club level across his career - a huge amount for a player still young in footballing terms.

Like Maddison, if Newcastle signed Tielemans, he'd be nailed on to start for the Magpies, taking up a central midfield position alongside Guimaraes and Joelinton.

The Belgium international has entered the final year of his contract at the King Power Stadium - with no signs that he will extend his stay.

Harvey Barnes
Most of Newcastle's transfer business is complete, but they are keen to add a winger before the window slams shut. The Magpies were chasing £60 million rated Moussa Diaby of Bayer Leverkusen, but the Frenchman is likely to be too expensive, with Newcastle now looking at versatile Leeds United star Jack Harrison.

However, Harvey Barnes could be an option for Howe's side. The 24-year-old has a lot of attributes that Howe would find appealing - he's quick, powerful and has decent end product.

Barnes had a combined 16 Premier League goals and assists last season for Leicester. At 24, he also fits the profile of player that Howe is looking to bring to the club. While Tielemans and Maddison would be welcome additions at St James' Park, Barnes plays in a position where Newcastle are actively looking for reinforcements.

ALL COMMENTS 3

Dobson21
24 MIN AGO
Agree with you, sick of reading same old rubbish you must be scratching your head for things to write, let us know the truth not just things you make up to get readers

Oldwhizzy
1 HR AGO
Have you got any information at all, that Newcastle might be remotely interested in signing any of these players? If not, please stop putting out all these non-stories about players we’re not remotely considering but we apparently ‘could’ sign.

Seraphim
12 MIN AGO
Reply to Oldwhizzy - view message
To be fair I could see Eddie Howe being interested in all three of those players at the right price. James Madison would be a good signing. He's better than Willock (if a little inconsistent) and Willock may well improve with more competition for his place. I also feel like James Madison could do with a change of scenery and can see Eddie Howe being the sort of manager to get the best out of him. There's no doubt that there very best James Madison is a world class player and is definitely less of a risk than Paqueta. Harvey Barnes could be a good a fair prices option to solve the issue we have on the wing. Both still fairly young both could potentially grow with the club or be sold at a profit. The only one of those three I'm not entirely sold on is Teilemens. If nothing else articles like this generate healthy debate and interaction 🤷.

19 minutes ago, davieG said:

It's not just the Mercury, I presume this rag is part of the REACH portfolio.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/three-leicester-city-players-newcastle-24546260

Three Leicester City players Newcastle United could target amid Foxes' financial fair play fears
Leicester City could have to sell some of their key players this summer

ByLaurie Martin
08:00, 21 JUL 2022

Reports suggest that Leicester City could have to sell key players, like James Maddison, before they buy this summer.

Newcastle United's Premier League rivals Leicester City could have to sell players before they buy this summer, according to reports.

Leicester are the only Premier League club to have not made a signing this summer - and it's believed they are actively looking to shift players including; Boubakary Soumare, Jannik Vestergaard and Ryan Bertrand

The Telegraph have reported that the Foxes could sell their more valuable assets amid fears over financial fair play. As such, here are three Leicester City players Newcastle could target.

James Maddison
Maddison could potentially be up for grabs this summer, with Tottenham reportedly interested in the 25-year-old. The talented midfielder could fit well into Eddie Howe's three-man midfielder.

Brazilian duo Bruno Guimaraes and Joelinton look set to start in the engine room, but the third spot is up for grabs between the likes of Joe Willock and Sean Longstaff. However, Maddison could be the perfect option.

Nagelsmann on Barcelona and De Ligt.mp4
He will be looking to impress in the first few months of the 2022/23 campaign, with the former Coventry and Norwich man feeling as though he still has an outside chance of making England's World Cup squad for Qatar.

He also boasts a decent record when playing against Newcastle, scoring four goals and assisting two in his eight games against the Magpies.

Youri Tielemans
Another classy midfielder, Tielemans has been linked with the likes of Manchester United, Tottenham and Arsenal this summer. The 25-year-old has impressed in England since joining Leicester, making over 150 appearances for the Foxes.

He has already played nearly 32,000 minutes of senior football at club level across his career - a huge amount for a player still young in footballing terms.

Like Maddison, if Newcastle signed Tielemans, he'd be nailed on to start for the Magpies, taking up a central midfield position alongside Guimaraes and Joelinton.

The Belgium international has entered the final year of his contract at the King Power Stadium - with no signs that he will extend his stay.

Harvey Barnes
Most of Newcastle's transfer business is complete, but they are keen to add a winger before the window slams shut. The Magpies were chasing £60 million rated Moussa Diaby of Bayer Leverkusen, but the Frenchman is likely to be too expensive, with Newcastle now looking at versatile Leeds United star Jack Harrison.

However, Harvey Barnes could be an option for Howe's side. The 24-year-old has a lot of attributes that Howe would find appealing - he's quick, powerful and has decent end product.

Barnes had a combined 16 Premier League goals and assists last season for Leicester. At 24, he also fits the profile of player that Howe is looking to bring to the club. While Tielemans and Maddison would be welcome additions at St James' Park, Barnes plays in a position where Newcastle are actively looking for reinforcements.

ALL COMMENTS 3

Dobson21
24 MIN AGO
Agree with you, sick of reading same old rubbish you must be scratching your head for things to write, let us know the truth not just things you make up to get readers

Oldwhizzy
1 HR AGO
Have you got any information at all, that Newcastle might be remotely interested in signing any of these players? If not, please stop putting out all these non-stories about players we’re not remotely considering but we apparently ‘could’ sign.

Seraphim
12 MIN AGO
Reply to Oldwhizzy - view message
To be fair I could see Eddie Howe being interested in all three of those players at the right price. James Madison would be a good signing. He's better than Willock (if a little inconsistent) and Willock may well improve with more competition for his place. I also feel like James Madison could do with a change of scenery and can see Eddie Howe being the sort of manager to get the best out of him. There's no doubt that there very best James Madison is a world class player and is definitely less of a risk than Paqueta. Harvey Barnes could be a good a fair prices option to solve the issue we have on the wing. Both still fairly young both could potentially grow with the club or be sold at a profit. The only one of those three I'm not entirely sold on is Teilemens. If nothing else articles like this generate healthy debate and interaction 🤷.

Load of bs, Newcastle aren't getting any of our players. why do they write such dross. 

Cant believe someone gets paid for this. 

On 07/06/2022 at 07:22, ozleicester said:

Bastards didnt give me a job when i applied there 11years ago.. never forgiven!

Now, the Sheffield Star...That is a quality paper :) .. or better still (coz they paid more) the Business Insider :)

My Grandpa worked for that paper for decades. Probably a bit before your time, though, as he retired in 1964.;)

One of his claims to fame was that he "informed the people of  Sheffield" about the 1936 abdication of King Edward VIII.....well, sort of, he was a telegraphist and received the message with the news.

Earlier, before he came to England, he "informed the USA" (:whistle:) about the WW1 armistice, while working at the cable stations of SW Ireland (still part of the UK in 1918).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, adam1 said:

Website is barely readable these days. 

I understand that they need to monetise to make it worthwhile but there is a balance.

I don't know what you're looking at but my view of the Merc page with adblock  has next to  no adverts

image.thumb.png.48b0b8f7f962d83dcd5d04f1a1e5d706.png

5 hours ago, davieG said:

I don't know what you're looking at but my view of the Merc page with adblock  has next to  no adverts

image.thumb.png.48b0b8f7f962d83dcd5d04f1a1e5d706.png

On my phone. Relatively new so havent got round to putting in an adblocker.

If everyone resorted to using an adblocker because of how bad it is  they wouldn't get any revenue - back to my point of having the right balance.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
37 minutes ago, AndWhat? said:

Good.

There can't be worse regional newspaper websites than the LM.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

I thought there was no money to be made from local news media.

Last year Reach only made £42m profit, down about 30% which is partly why they’re making hundreds of redundancies across the country.

There’s money there - there’s also the greed from the upper echelons who want as much profit as possible. 

6 hours ago, Raj said:

There is if your like LM and bombard the website with adverts!!!

The problem is with non-subscription on-line newspapers is that they NEED the money from on-line advertising/clickbait/sponsorship.

For me it doesn't make me want to access the LM website. Even the actual news isn't really that local. A couple of headline stories and the rest is blurb from elsewhere.

I'm not sure the Reach will be any better as they to need funding. I just hope it's more concentrated on local issues.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

Mercury (pre internet) was a great, heavyweight local newspaper. Circulation of 300k, one of the biggest in the country. 

Must've employed 300 people in its Pomp

Business Tuesday. Jobs Wednesday. What's on Thursday. Travel I think was Mondays.  Bill Anderson was always shite tho

Plus I remember a lot of local businesses advertisements, whereas on the website it's on now there's no local business product/service awareness.

Shame the old Leicester Mercury building near the train station is now a trampoline park..

• Like 1