Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Leicester Mercury/ Leicestershire Live

6 minutes ago, Tuna said:

I see tweets from them often, never or rarely click as instinctively I know it's clickbait and when I do click, yeah it is.

It's a terrible website.

I got a first class degree in sports journalism, people ask why I've never done anything to use that degree.

Basically, I wouldn't lower myself to write shite like that.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'm always amazed when someone posts something from the LM, the website is virtually unusable. Who has the time and patience to navigate round all the ads?!

It's fine on windows with and adblocker.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'm always amazed when someone posts something from the LM, the website is virtually unusable. Who has the time and patience to navigate round all the ads?!

It's deliberately like that to maximise the time you have to spend looking at adverts rather than reading actual content

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

Not just the Mercury but loads of ads with the tag lines like; 'Your energy supplier does not want you to know this', with some clickbait picture of a matchstick and a grain of rice. (Okay, made the bit about the pic up)

I'm getting ads too that state 'Android users must do this before Monday'. That has a picture of a toothpick next to a phones USB port. (Haven't made that up)

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

4 hours ago, Lionator said:

It’s easy to moan but they wouldn’t exist without adverts. Unfortunately it’s a sign of the times and it’s an if not when local newspapers go out of business. 

Is there any point to its existence with or without adverts? 

8 hours ago, Daggers said:

Is there any point to its existence with or without adverts? 

Your not trying hard enough

Clean windows

Using newspaper to clean windows works better than a cloth for preventing streaks. Pro tip: use a vinegar and water solution instead of a chemical cleaner. For more eco-conscious cleaning ideas, read this article.

Seedling pot

Layer several sheets of newspaper on top of each other and shape them into a makeshift container for germinating seedlings. The best part? The newspaper is compostable so you can plant the container straight into a larger pot or the ground.

Barbecue cleaner

Once you finish using the grill, allow it to cool a little while you soak the newspaper in water. Lay the sheets of paper over the grill and close the lid for an hour. Simply remove the paper and wipe the grill clean.

Packing material

Newspaper is a great substitute for bubble wrap. Wrap your fragile items individually and place them in a box. Fill the remaining space with crumpled paper. This idea also works with shredded paper.

Firestarter

Newspapers are great fire starters since they are thin. Use them to start a bonfire, grill, or campfire.

Shape keeper

Help maintain your shoes and bags’ shapes by stuffing them with crumpled newspaper whenever you are not using them.

Ripen tomatoes

Wrap green tomatoes in old newsprint, place them in a box, and cover with a lid. They will ripen into a bright red colour.

Shoe deodorizer

Newspapers are good deodorizers. Crumple them into balls and stuff them into smell shoes or anywhere with musty odours.

Book cover

Newspaper works just as well as store-bought covers for books. 

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Your not trying hard enough

Clean windows

Using newspaper to clean windows works better than a cloth for preventing streaks. Pro tip: use a vinegar and water solution instead of a chemical cleaner. For more eco-conscious cleaning ideas, read this article.

Seedling pot

Layer several sheets of newspaper on top of each other and shape them into a makeshift container for germinating seedlings. The best part? The newspaper is compostable so you can plant the container straight into a larger pot or the ground.

Barbecue cleaner

Once you finish using the grill, allow it to cool a little while you soak the newspaper in water. Lay the sheets of paper over the grill and close the lid for an hour. Simply remove the paper and wipe the grill clean.

Packing material

Newspaper is a great substitute for bubble wrap. Wrap your fragile items individually and place them in a box. Fill the remaining space with crumpled paper. This idea also works with shredded paper.

Firestarter

Newspapers are great fire starters since they are thin. Use them to start a bonfire, grill, or campfire.

Shape keeper

Help maintain your shoes and bags’ shapes by stuffing them with crumpled newspaper whenever you are not using them.

Ripen tomatoes

Wrap green tomatoes in old newsprint, place them in a box, and cover with a lid. They will ripen into a bright red colour.

Shoe deodorizer

Newspapers are good deodorizers. Crumple them into balls and stuff them into smell shoes or anywhere with musty odours.

Book cover

Newspaper works just as well as store-bought covers for books. 

You missed the old " Millwall brick " my older brother used to try and hit me with it as a kid.😅

• Like 1

The Mercury has always relied on advertising. The small ads were a great way to 

Find employment

Buy a vehicle

Purchase 2nd hand stuff (anything)

Meet your lifelong partner

Inform on the death/birth/anniversary of a loved one

Buy from one of the many street news vendors. All for a few pennies.

However, progress has changed all that.

R.I.P. a once great local newspaper

• Like 1

4 hours ago, boots60 said:

The Mercury has always relied on advertising. The small ads were a great way to 

Find employment

Buy a vehicle

Purchase 2nd hand stuff (anything)

Meet your lifelong partner

Inform on the death/birth/anniversary of a loved one

Buy from one of the many street news vendors. All for a few pennies.

However, progress has changed all that.

R.I.P. a once great local newspaper

Not to mentioned the Sports Mercury on a Saturday.

35 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Hardly news most of it..

Screenshot_20231207_182022_Chrome.jpg

It's news Jim, but not as we know it.

The most important and newsworthy article is the sex offender on the run and he's in 4th place behind Dunelm in 1st.

Just exposes the priorities of the group that LM are part of.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2

They have now restricted non subscribed readers to 20 articles per week so now need to go premium at a cost of £2.99 pmth or £19.99 yr for full access, i bet they don't get many takers.
I have the app on my phone which didn't/doesn't bombard you with ads like the website does but it hasn't given any Leicester Tigers news for months, infact the last meaningful report on the Tigers was the announcement of Steve Borthwicks departure.
I do read the LCFC articles for interviews, signings & such like but like everyone else i'll prbably start to move away from it now, alot of the stories are rehashed to fill out the pages anyway.

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

They have now restricted non subscribed readers to 20 articles per week so now need to go premium at a cost of £2.99 pmth or £19.99 yr for full access, i bet they don't get many takers.
I have the app on my phone which didn't/doesn't bombard you with ads like the website does but it hasn't given any Leicester Tigers news for months, infact the last meaningful report on the Tigers was the announcement of Steve Borthwicks departure.
I do read the LCFC articles for interviews, signings & such like but like everyone else i'll prbably start to move away from it now, alot of the stories are rehashed to fill out the pages anyway.

I think I'd struggle to find 20 articles of interest or importance in a week in the LM.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...