Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
steveherbe

Mobile tickets - meeting with club

4 minutes ago, steveherbe said:

Some of you may be aware that I sent an email to the club last week regarding the use of Mobile tickets. The email is on page 1 of the Mobile Season Ticket Download thread if you want to read it. I was subsequently invited to meet Jim Donnelly, the SLO, on Sunday prior to the Brentford game.

The meeting didn’t go as I had hoped, in that Jim wasn’t interested in discussing the decision, nor the contents of my email. He simply took my phone, messed about with it for a minute, then told me that Mobile tickets wouldn’t work on my phone. He then asked for my supporter number, and told me he would arrange to have a note put on my account allowing me to have paper tickets as required for the rest of the season. We also briefly talked about having 2 tickets on one phone, an idea that he agreed wouldn’t work in practice if me and my son wanted to get into the ground at different times – as we often do. He further intimated that next season the only way to get tickets would be on a mobile.

Obviously, this works for me for this season, but is not a solution for any of you in the same position. I’d therefore suggest, if you cant – or don’t want to – use mobile tickets this year, you should send an email to [email protected] containing your supporter number, and ask them to put a note on your account allowing paper tickets to be issued. It would also be helpful if you could post a reply, or PM me, if you do so. This would allow me to gauge the size of the issue going forward.

Finally, if you don’t agree with this, please don’t post replies about old dinosaurs not embracing new technology. I’m not here for an argument, just looking to help fellow fans.

Just on the next season point, All tickets will be on mobile, including all season tickets? 

3 minutes ago, norfolkfox222 said:

So are mobile tickets transferable? We have 2 season tickets we use between 4 family members and take turns in coming over. How's that going to work if we cant transfer the tickets? 

As long as you have the log in details for the google wallet your tickets are in it wouldn't be a problem. 

We have a similar situation as my mate has a season ticket but misses 5-6 games a year because of work. It would mean i would have to go on my own... So we tried it Sunday. He logged into mine and i logged into his and it worked fine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Mobile tickets are just shit anyway. I prefer something physical. It'll be a sad day when away tickets become mobile.

i understand it at gigs and high profile events as it helps to stop touts. But at our level that isnt really the issue. 

Only real reason i can see why they have put the tech in is to future proof when the stadium is redeveloped and they are hoping for more high profile events other than the football. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

Do we know what other clubs around Europe are doing about ticketing / entry systems? I’m sure we’re not going alone here.

Bochum I have a physical season ticket for and all match tickets are still paper.

Last season at Spezia, AC Milan and Fiorentina they as above had options of physical cards and then paper tickets or an electronic code that could be scanned.

Edited by SemperEadem
  • Like 1

Brentford was mobile ticket only, yet I saw three separate groups walking into the ground with paper tickets.

Yes, the club are saying that it’s 100% digital and next season it’ll be the only way to get a season ticket. But they’re not going to refuse people - hence why the scanners still have the QR code scanners attached.

Arguing with the club to change policy is probably futile, they put blanket statements out to make the majority of us comply with the direction they want to take. But if somebody needs help on an individual basis, I’m confident they’ll assist. Jim has demonstrated this by giving the OP access to paper tickets all season. Not ideal, but it’s easier for them to just help the few that genuinely can’t get on board with the new process rather than the larger group of us who simply don’t want to follow the new process.

E-tickets are more convenient and better for the environment. It’s a good move in the long run. As long as they continue to support those that genuinely need help in the interim, it’s fine. Has anybody been refused support that needs it?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

Brentford was mobile ticket only, yet I saw three separate groups walking into the ground with paper tickets.

Yes, the club are saying that it’s 100% digital and next season it’ll be the only way to get a season ticket. But they’re not going to refuse people - hence why the scanners still have the QR code scanners attached.

Arguing with the club to change policy is probably futile, they put blanket statements out to make the majority of us comply with the direction they want to take. But if somebody needs help on an individual basis, I’m confident they’ll assist. Jim has demonstrated this by giving the OP access to paper tickets all season. Not ideal, but it’s easier for them to just help the few that genuinely can’t get on board with the new process rather than the larger group of us who simply don’t want to follow the new process.

E-tickets are more convenient and better for the environment. It’s a good move in the long run. As long as they continue to support those that genuinely need help in the interim, it’s fine. Has anybody been refused support that needs it

No mate, according to the Ticket Office, Brentford was the LAST game they would be issuing paper tickets for. Thanks for your input though.

Do we really think the club are going to turn round to someone and say "you're no longer allowed to come and watch Leicester City because you don't have a modern phone. Tough." I'm sure there will always be an alternative to those who need it. Maybe I'm being optimistic. But as OP says, if you do need it then perhaps good to raise it with them now to have a note on your account and save the hassle moving forwards. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

E-tickets are more convenient and better for the environment. It’s a good move in the long run. As long as they continue to support those that genuinely need help in the interim, it’s fine. Has anybody been refused support that needs it?

A few issues with this. Firstly, I'd argue that mobile tickets are not more convenient - that was clearly demonstrated with the queues getting in on Sunday. People faffing around not knowing how to use them will be an issue at every game, as whilst STHs may get used to it, individual match go-ers will probably still hold things up. I just refuse to believe that anything is more convenient than a small card/ticket you can keep in your wallet. Also, what if your phone with the ticket on runs out of battery whilst out on the day? You're a bit stuffed then, no?

Secondly, I don't buy the environmental impact thing. If the club were that worried about that, they wouldn't have started issuing new cards every season instead of just re-charging the original one as they did when cards first started. The impact of a few thousand tiny cards cannot be that catastrophic that everyone is forced to use something they're uncomfortable with, why not let people make the personal choice?

Finally, the club won't support those who need help in the interim, or at least won't openly offer it. Think we can see that from the OP literally having to have a meeting with Jim to resolve his issue and get paper tickets issued every game.

All this seems to be, to me, is a scheme to stop people sharing season/match tickets (not exactly a heinous crime, by the way) and further crack down on the freedom of match-going fans.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Osavo said:

A few issues with this. Firstly, I'd argue that mobile tickets are not more convenient - that was clearly demonstrated with the queues getting in on Sunday. People faffing around not knowing how to use them will be an issue at every game, as whilst STHs may get used to it, individual match go-ers will probably still hold things up. I just refuse to believe that anything is more convenient than a small card/ticket you can keep in your wallet. Also, what if your phone with the ticket on runs out of battery whilst out on the day? You're a bit stuffed then, no?

Secondly, I don't buy the environmental impact thing. If the club were that worried about that, they wouldn't have started issuing new cards every season instead of just re-charging the original one as they did when cards first started. The impact of a few thousand tiny cards cannot be that catastrophic that everyone is forced to use something they're uncomfortable with, why not let people make the personal choice?

Finally, the club won't support those who need help in the interim, or at least won't openly offer it. Think we can see that from the OP literally having to have a meeting with Jim to resolve his issue and get paper tickets issued every game.

All this seems to be, to me, is a scheme to stop people sharing season/match tickets (not exactly a heinous crime, by the way) and further crack down on the freedom of match-going fans.

It was user error causing the queue. Not the technology.

I personally prefer them as printing tickets has always been a massive ball ache and I’ve left them behind a few times and had to knock on the ticket collection window and plead for help. Never go anywhere without my phone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norfolkfox222 said:

So are mobile tickets transferable? We have 2 season tickets we use between 4 family members and take turns in coming over. How's that going to work if we cant transfer the tickets? 

If you take a screen shot of the barcode you can send it to all your family to use or anyone else!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

It was user error causing the queue. Not the technology.

I personally prefer them as printing tickets has always been a massive ball ache and I’ve left them behind a few times and had to knock on the ticket collection window and plead for help. Never go anywhere without my phone.

User error, hence inconvenience for themselves and others.

I don't doubt that you and a number of others do prefer them and I've no issue with the concept. It's the forcing of them on people that I do take issue with, which appears to be what will happen next season. 

1 hour ago, Osavo said:

As much as this is valid, it will settle over time. There aren't going to be 20,000 newbies at every game not knowing how to scan their tickets. The only issues will be outages. There are downfalls with everything. If you employed people to hand check tickets it would also take forever.

What I definitely do not agree with is only giving people one option. By all means try to sell the mobile option as much as possible but also give a backup. Part of me thinks the club are being harsh on this to make as many get mobile tickets as possible. Only to then give a second option for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saxondale said:

Do we know what other clubs around Europe are doing about ticketing / entry systems? I’m sure we’re not going alone here.

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Bochum I have a physical season ticket for and all match tickets are still paper.

Last season at Spezia, AC Milan and Fiorentina they as above had options of physical cards and then paper tickets or an electronic code that could be scanned.

Bochum also operate print at home (and I think the majority allow this). A lot of Bundesliga clubs partner up with EVentim/Ticketmaster/other ticket companies (who also deal with their resale)

I think I saw something on the weekend at one of the games where a fan group protested against print at home becoming the only option. In Germany but I cannot remember which club.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

As much as this is valid, it will settle over time. There aren't going to be 20,000 newbies at every game not knowing how to scan their tickets. The only issues will be outages. There are downfalls with everything. If you employed people to hand check tickets it would also take forever.

Yeah, fair enough. Although back in the day, it didn't take forever for people to have their rip out paper ST vouchers checked (although there were only about 22,000 there at that point lol).