Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I remember him scoring a bullet header at the near post kop end against Southampton in a 3-1 FA Cup 3rd round win in Jan '82, the year we got to the semi final. He was an old fashioned centre forward and a real handful on his day. 

  • Like 1
Posted

Got better feelings about Martin Henderson after reading that. Didn't realise he'd paved the way for Youngie to come here. Good to see both Eddy Kelly and Stevie Lynex mentioned too, class players on their day.

Posted
31 minutes ago, Mike the Metal Ed said:

I remember when we were struggling a bit under Pearson, Ian Stringer had to break from his commentary to say "...and Youngy's having a row with the fans."

Wonder what’s happened between Stringer & radio Leicester. I thought he was having a short time away and would then be back on the radio. 

Posted

What a great introduction to being a LCFC fan for a 16 year old in 1980 seeing him upfront, no backing away after that!

 

I found his book good, second only to Muzzy's, which was fantastic if you lived through that time.

Posted

Good old fashioned centre forward. Him and lynex could conjure up something from nothing. Bit like albrighton and Vardy today but very different front men. I remember that injury too. Ahh the good old days. Well not the semi final against spurs. I remember being so upset on the way home. 

Posted

 

10 year old me worshipped the guy.  :wub:

 

That game where he went in goal and then went off and then came back (I was at that game).  Wow.

 

It would make the game miles more exciting if we got rid of sub goalies and had outfield players putting on the gloves.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Posted

Do we know why he left RL? I know there was a bit of bad blood there, but I can't recall anybody knowing the actual reason. 

Posted

Alan Young was one of my favourite players around 1980, but I remember he sometimes ran out of steam. I have a memory of him about to be brought on as a substitute. He was warming up, running up and down the Filbert Street touchline. Somebody in the crowd shouted 'Sit Down Youngey - you'll be knackered!'. Made me laugh.

Posted
41 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Do we know why he left RL? I know there was a bit of bad blood there, but I can't recall anybody knowing the actual reason. 

I am sure Alan Young leaving had something to do with Pearson. In Alan Youngs book, he had written that he wished Allardyce to die from what I remember. Pearson is a friend of big Sam and I think Radio Leicester thought it was inappropriate.

As for Stringer, I didn’t mind his commentary far better than the current chap.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Also I can't share it because it will probably get a copyright strike, but I've got Knockaert's winner against Forest in 2013 mixed in with the BBC RL commentary, and Young's "GO ON! YES! YAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSS!" when we score is a big indicator of why we miss him on the radio now.

 

I do like Piper though so it's fine. He's come on leaps since his first few commentary jobs.

  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...