Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Amazing, weird, fantastic buildings.

• 2 weeks later...

Not so much the building but the guy at the top of it. I loved this guy, a fantastic character and engineer.

351139157_1919544675074624_5568313267697

Frederick Travis Dibnah, MBE (28 April 1938 – 6 November 2004) was an English steeplejack and television personality, with a keen interest in mechanical engineering, who described himself as a "backstreet mechanic".
When Dibnah was born, Britain relied heavily upon coal to fuel its industry. As a child, he was fascinated by the steam engines which powered the many textile mills in Bolton, but he paid particular attention to chimneys and the men who worked on them. He began his working life as a joiner, before becoming a steeplejack. From age 22, he served for two years in the Army Catering Corps of the British Army, undertaking his National Service. Once demobilised, he returned to steeplejacking but met with limited success until he was asked to repair Bolton's parish church. The resulting publicity provided a boost to his business, ensuring he was almost never out of work.
In 1978, while making repairs to Bolton Town Hall, Dibnah was filmed by a regional BBC news crew. The BBC then commissioned a documentary, which followed the rough-hewn steeplejack as he worked on chimneys, interacted with his family.

May be an image of Stone Henge

· Constructed from 1978 to 1982 in Noisy-le-Grand, a suburb located ten miles east of Paris, Les Espaces d'Abraxas is a notable housing estate designed by the late Catalan architect Ricardo Bofill, who passed away last year.

• 1 month later...

I drive down the M6 on almost a daily basis and I always think what a beautiful building Fort Dunlop is.

Nothing that special or interesting really compared to some others on this thread, but I always find it aesthetically pleasing. 

Was once the largest factory in the world.

xl_26_2026_636674421819509998.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I drive down the M6 on almost a daily basis and I always think what a beautiful building Fort Dunlop is.

Nothing that special or interesting really compared to some others on this thread, but I always find it aesthetically pleasing. 

Was once the largest factory in the world.

xl_26_2026_636674421819509998.jpg

I had work experience at Goodyear around 15 years ago and stayed at the hotel at the end which, I must admit, spoils the rest of the great building architecture in terms of the random blue colour being part of it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

image.png.c123e34d79dbfd3f975de58e4ad43705.png

Exploring GB  · 

The Ouse Valley Viaduct in Sussex is 'probably the most elegant viaduct in Britain.'
The architectural gem was completed in 1842 and 11 million bricks were used in construction. Its arched vaulting generates an impressive effect, read more 👇

image.thumb.png.0ffab96240a9652fe667f9e8298573ae.png

British History  · 

21st January 1971, The current Emley Moor transmitting station, the tallest free-standing structure in the United Kingdom, begins transmitting UHF broadcasts.

• 2 months later...