Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
indierich06

Driving Test

Helped me remember that EVERYONE else around you on the road has done exactly what you’re doing. It’s nothing special, and the examiner has seen it all.

Good luck.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 4

Nice one and good luck later!  It's normal to be nervous as you want a positive outcome and there's literally someone sat next to you judging your every move.  Not many occasions in life where you're in such a situation.

Just remember they're not out to get you so take your time and go through the motions.  I always hear people say "I thought I'd failed but didn't" so just keep going as nearly everyone makes at least one mistake in the test.  You said it yourself, you're a good driver and you've worked hard to get in the position to be tested.

Also, sometimes things happen outside of your control.  If you fail, you can just do it again and have learnt from the experience.

Edited by Zear0
  • Like 1

I almost failed mine on the last turning of the route. I thought I was home clear, but it was a right turn and there was a car coming the other way at a distance right in the range you could call a gap or too close depending on your viewpoint.

The examiner passed me and then after the paperwork was signed off he asked, did you see the green car? And my answer was no I hadn't, I was so happy that I had "done it" that I just went around the corner. Thankfully it was done and dusted and technically not a hard fault.

Its not over until its over. Take your time and keep your concentration up.

I also failed one because a woman sprinted out of a shop, between two parked cars and across the road in front of me and I had to slam the brakes which failed me right there and then. Sometimes its not even 100% your fault. Of course I should have seen her, anticipated and acted accordingly but its a tough one to take.

10 minutes ago, MustardTiger said:

I almost failed mine on the last turning of the route. I thought I was home clear, but it was a right turn and there was a car coming the other way at a distance right in the range you could call a gap or too close depending on your viewpoint.

The examiner passed me and then after the paperwork was signed off he asked, did you see the green car? And my answer was no I hadn't, I was so happy that I had "done it" that I just went around the corner. Thankfully it was done and dusted and technically not a hard fault.

I also failed one because a woman sprinted out of a shop, between two parked cars and across the road in front of me and I had to slam the brakes which failed me right there and then. Sometimes its not even 100% your fault. Of course I should have seen her, anticipated and acted accordingly but its a tough one to take.

Why did they fail you for slamming the brakes on? surely it should have been an instant pass.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Got my test today and tbh I'm shitting it. I know I'm a good driver, but the nerves always seem to get the better of me. Any tips to help me through it or take my mind off the anxiety? 🫠

Keep your eye on the car in front 

19 minutes ago, MustardTiger said:

Yeah, I don't understand that, feels like an appropriate use of the emergency stop. Can you remember why it was considered a dangerous fault? Did you have time to stop gradually?

53 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Got my test today and tbh I'm shitting it. I know I'm a good driver, but the nerves always seem to get the better of me. Any tips to help me through it or take my mind off the anxiety? 🫠

Think what's the worst that could happen? A fail only means you take it again. Helped me by thinking that. 

1 hour ago, indierich06 said:

Best of luck ...and look forward to seeing you on the 'what on the roads has annoyed you today'? thread in due course. 

Btw, I failed a LOT of times, once because I clipped the kerb doing a three point turn while having the drive of my life otherwise. Just gotta brush yourself off and go again.

When I passed it, was on a torrid December evening, in awful driving conditions. The phrase "benefit of the doubt" was used. I'd advise you when you've passed to never stop learning though. The Highway Code gets updated often, and there are always ways to improve your driving, and god knows we need more good drivers on the road.

2 hours ago, Mike the Metal Ed said:

Yeah, I don't understand that, feels like an appropriate use of the emergency stop. Can you remember why it was considered a dangerous fault? Did you have time to stop gradually?

There was a crossing further up the road, she didn't run across it, but in front of it between cars. I think because it was there, I should have been easing off anyway and watching out. From what I remember the road was parked cars all along both sides with shops and a crossing in the middle. Obviously my fault, but if someone hadn't charged across out of nowhere I might not have failed. The circumstances of the day made it tougher.

• Like 1

Remember that your instructor - the person who probably best knows how good of a driver you are - thinks you're ready to pass the test.

Instructors get wary of their pass rates so would only recommend you go for a test if they're confident you'll pass.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember that notorious assessor in Hinckley back in the late 90s? He was like the harshest old school most serious bloke possible, every cliché for a driving test assessor he ticked but he was an absolute nob head on top of that. 

Made the whole process even more stressful than it needed to be. 

Strangely I thought I drove worse the second time I took my Test and passed after failing the first one.

The reason I failed the first one was because I was too hesitant coming out of Colchester Road onto the A47 and this was before the traffic lights had been installed but long after the days of the chap with a red flag in front!!:D

36 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Does anyone remember that notorious assessor in Hinckley back in the late 90s? He was like the harshest old school most serious bloke possible, every cliché for a driving test assessor he ticked but he was an absolute nob head on top of that. 

Made the whole process even more stressful than it needed to be. 

Don't know if it was the same one, but there was one in the mid 80's (when i did my test) that spoke really really sloooowwwly that made you nervous. Passed me though and i only had 4 lessons, had been riding a motorbike for a few years though, which makes you kind of attentative to whats going on.

13 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Don't know if it was the same one, but there was one in the mid 80's (when i did my test) that spoke really really sloooowwwly that made you nervous. Passed me though and i only had 4 lessons, had been riding a motorbike for a few years though, which makes you kind of attentative to whats going on.

Sound like him!  He was closing in on retirement so was probably there for ages and he seemed notorious with the middle aged folk back then too. 

He passed me through gritted teeth and then my driving instructor got into the back seat of his own car to congratulate me and get some feedback and the guy told him to get out!

Before he could ask why he said "I here by end this test and I will be leaving the vehicle due to third party entering the vehicle without permission"  and off he went 😭

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Sound like him!  He was closing in on retirement so was probably there for ages and he seemed notorious with the middle aged folk back then too. 

He passed me through gritted teeth and then my driving instructor got into the back seat of his own car to congratulate me and get some feedback and the guy told him to get out!

Before he could ask why he said "I here by end this test and I will be leaving the vehicle due to third party entering the vehicle without permission"  and off he went 😭

Just came to me. Foster.

• Thanks 1