Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertuk

Madrid - City break and football

I’m hoping to take my son to Madrid for a weekend break with a game at the Bernabeu included ( for a special birthday) . There are a number of companies that do packages - has anyone a decent recommendation ? Even if not specifically Madrid, I’d be interested in feedback. Thanks in advance!

Can't help you with the Bernabeu thing. When I was there tickets were mega-expensive, and I suspect they still are today.

Madrid breaks - generally a very safe city, but pickpockets are active in busy central areas (metro/rail stations, the Sol area). Make sure you and companions keep money/cards/phones in very safe places.

Taxis - always best to flag one down, don't go to taxi ranks. However those from the airport are monitored by the council and should only charge the fixed rate into town (used to be about 30 euros but may be more now)

Learn to greet staff in bars/shops etc with "Hola!". You can get exceptionally quick service in bars by ordering when you enter and approach the bar "Hola! Dos cafe con leche por favor" (or dos vino tintos or dos cervezas etc). If you look lost and hesitate in the middle of the passageway you'll be ignored...

If you want to pay up (this can be the time-consuming part) learn to shout out "me cobra?" at the barperson (ok, la cuenta? can also work). Perhaps shouting is the wrong word, but be prepared to speak loudly to gain attention.

If you can take a day trip to either Segovia/Toledo/Avila.  Should find some good experience options on Airbnb.

Don't overtip in bars - 5-10% is normally enough, and no problem if you don't as service is supposedly included.

Until June it can get surprisingly cold at nights because of surrounding mountains. Go in July/August and the heat is oppressive, don't expect to do much in the daytime.

If you want advice from English-speaking folk who live there, pop in an Irish pub like Triskel or James Joyce and ask customers/staff.

47 Best Things to Do in Madrid Right Now (timeout.com)

It's not something I do in cities I already know (and can use public transport buses) but for the first time visitor it may be worth taking the hop-on hop-off tourist buses.

If you+family are into history/culture, this option used to be the best one to look at.  Across Madrid Tours - museums, historical and children's itineraries  

Edited by SkidsFox
  • Like 1

On 14/01/2024 at 10:54, SkidsFox said:

Can't help you with the Bernabeu thing. When I was there tickets were mega-expensive, and I suspect they still are today.

Madrid breaks - generally a very safe city, but pickpockets are active in busy central areas (metro/rail stations, the Sol area). Make sure you and companions keep money/cards/phones in very safe places.

Taxis - always best to flag one down, don't go to taxi ranks. However those from the airport are monitored by the council and should only charge the fixed rate into town (used to be about 30 euros but may be more now)

Learn to greet staff in bars/shops etc with "Hola!". You can get exceptionally quick service in bars by ordering when you enter and approach the bar "Hola! Dos cafe con leche por favor" (or dos vino tintos or dos cervezas etc). If you look lost and hesitate in the middle of the passageway you'll be ignored...

If you want to pay up (this can be the time-consuming part) learn to shout out "me cobra?" at the barperson (ok, la cuenta? can also work). Perhaps shouting is the wrong word, but be prepared to speak loudly to gain attention.

If you can take a day trip to either Segovia/Toledo/Avila.  Should find some good experience options on Airbnb.

Don't overtip in bars - 5-10% is normally enough, and no problem if you don't as service is supposedly included.

Until June it can get surprisingly cold at nights because of surrounding mountains. Go in July/August and the heat is oppressive, don't expect to do much in the daytime.

If you want advice from English-speaking folk who live there, pop in an Irish pub like Triskel or James Joyce and ask customers/staff.

47 Best Things to Do in Madrid Right Now (timeout.com)

It's not something I do in cities I already know (and can use public transport buses) but for the first time visitor it may be worth taking the hop-on hop-off tourist buses.

If you+family are into history/culture, this option used to be the best one to look at.  Across Madrid Tours - museums, historical and children's itineraries  

Cheers for this.  Going for the first time at the end of April. Looking forward to it.  :scarf:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Someone I know who lives in Madrid, and has always had great interest in the Civil War and International Brigades, has started walking tours Madrid 1936 – GUIDED TOUR OF CIVIL WAR MADRID 1936-1939 (wordpress.com)  The advantage is you can arrange a day on the tour when you travel there. 

Looking at the site, I didn't know that Joe Strummer took the name of the Clash from the Arturo Barea book on wartime Madrid!

Real's tickets to non-Socio's won't go on sale until really close towards the match. 

Equally the game won't be confirmed until two weeks before. 

Acknowledge that Madrid has some interesting other options as well to fit another game - Rayo, Getafe, Atleti, Leganes and Alcorcon. 

Packages will be adding a huge mark-up - like in region of 200% plus. 

Went when we went to Madrid to watch City, I was largely indifferent to the city. It's mobbed by South Americans as their European base. That was until we went to the area of Malasana - great nightlife there (nothing mad but proper Spanish bars and restaurants). 

• Like 1

Madrid is a wonderful City, definitely get over there but sometimes tickets for Real can be difficult to obtain. Usually tickets are available a few days before the fixture but depends on who's playing re availability. Better chance if they're playing a less fashionable side from a distant part of Spain. Avoid the packages unless you're minted as they can be expensive.

As mentioned in the above post, have a plan B, as there are other sides in Madrid & while not as prestigious as Real they can be a great experience. Remember, if you are alongside fans of Vallecano, Leganes etc. you will be alongside proper football fans & not Man Utd type glory hunters.

As mentioned above, it might be that your son is set on watching Real but, if not, I'd highly recommend considering one of the other Madrid based teams to watch a match. Atleti's stadium is great and they offer really good (and affordable) hospitality packages too. Otherwise, as mentioned above, watching Vallecano or Leganes will be a really unique and interesting experience. Even buying things like shirts would be far less expensive and a bit more interesting when he gets home. You don't see too many Vallecano or Laganes shirts around.

You could then do a stadium tour of the Bernabeu so your son can experience it.

Madrid is a lovely city! You'll have a great time.

• Like 2